Packers will try out long snapper

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers will bring in long snapper Taylor Inglis for a tryout on Wednesday of this upcoming week.

Inglis is a player with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League.

"It caught me off guard and I'm pretty humbled by it," said Inglis to the Edmonton Sun, who's able to take the tryout offer because he's entering the option year of his CFL contract.

"I didn't send them any film, but they said they had seen some film," said Inglis.

Could this signal the end of current long snapper Rob Davis's career with the Packers? Davis is definitely nearing retirement age. He's been with the Packers since 1997.

The Packers must also be happy with their experiment of bringing in Jon Ryan from the CFL. Perhaps this chance will pay off as well.

posted by Brian Carriveau at 8:19 AM

This is the place for those of you who can't get enough Green Bay Packers news! Updates will be provided frequently from the view of a "railbird." We go to the practices and scan the local media so you don't have to.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Rob Davis has been a good LS

2. I don't like a roster spot going to just a Longsnapper.

3. The Jets 1st round pick Mangold does their longsnapping.

4. The Packers have need of a back up Center for Wells.

5. I would like to see the back up Center also longsnap.

6. While I thought Coston would be a back up Center he has been given little opportunity. His work ethic and attitude seem good so it may be his Wonderlic score that is holding him back.

7. I would like to see more ability of the Canadian guy than just longsnapping, how about some Center play?

8. It is refreshing to know that the Packer scouts are looking everywhere for talent.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy from Edmonton can snap the ball well. He is 23 and has had an ACL injury to the right knee. The problem is his size. He is 6'2" 240 lbs.

He is not big enough to be a back up Center. He is strictly a long snapper.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's wrong with Rob Davis? The article said he's definitely nearing retirement age. What's the "retirement age" for a Long Snapper?

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't we teach one of our Lineman to long snap an save the roster spot?

Or a TE, lots of teams have one snapping for them. or lets throw Ingle out there, he's got an arm on him :rotflmao:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's wrong with Rob Davis? The article said he's definitely nearing retirement age. What's the "retirement age" for a Long Snapper?

Im pretty sure Davis is mulling over retirement of his own accord, i dont think he'd be forced out.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Edmonton/2007/01/18/3400685-sun.html

But unfortunately for the Edmontonian, the Green Bay Packers haven't invited him for another visit this summer.

Although the 23-year-old long snapper performed well in his first ever NFL tryout for the famed club yesterday morning, he didn't earn a contract or spot at training camp.

"The coaches told me that they're re-signing their veteran (long snapper, Rob Davis) and maybe there will be room next season," said Inglis. "Obviously it is disappointing. I honestly thought I would get invited to (training) camp.

"But that is the way it goes. It is the NFL and it is competitive."

The Packers didn't issue any comments on Inglis's performance because club personnel only publicly talk about players under contract.

On his flight to the Wisconsin city on Tuesday, Inglis believed Davis wasn't going to be in the Packers' picture this year.

An 11-year NFL veteran, Davis is 38 years old and obviously in the twilight of his career.

In the option year of his current Edmonton Eskimos' contract with the ability to jump to the NFL, Inglis thought this was his big chance.

"And to snap under that kind of pressure (yesterday), definitely proved something to me - that I belonged there and I can play there," he commented.

"It is just the timing isn't right - and everybody knows it is all about timing."

But the day wasn't a complete writeoff.

"I sat in the (Packers) players' lounge watching the big screen and playing video games for about four hours," cracked Inglis.

"It was pretty cool to walk in the same halls as Brett Favre, (receiver) Donald Driver and even (punter) Jon Ryan.

"I got some pictures, even took some video of walking through the tunnel out onto Lambeau (Field)."

If for some reason Davis doesn't re-sign in the coming weeks, the door to the Packers could reopen.

There is also the possibility another NFL team might give Inglis a tryout before Feb. 15, which is when his window to the NFL closes for this year under the CFL contract rules.

But the former Edmonton Wildcat isn't going to be quickly sending any game film tapes to other American clubs.

The Packers experiment this week has him focused on achieving a couple of other goals before looking south again.

"This makes me want to come home and tear up the CFL (this coming season), finish my degree, get my life on ... and look at the free agent market next year in the NFL," he said from the Green Bay airport before his journey home to Edmonton last night.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably plays another position in the CFL that he's not good enough at to play in the NFL, but he's an NFL quality long snapper.

Members online

Latest posts