Packers will "overwhelm foes" on special teams

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Crosby: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...-packers-will-overwhelm-foes-on-special-teams. I hope he's right.

Football Outsiders had the Packers ranked 22 last season, and 31st in "weighted dvoa", which better reflects the team's performance at the end of the season. It's apparent TT's picks and free agent signings this year have as much to do with special teams as anything.

Most of the Packers draft picks will be counted on to play on special teams and improve the terrible unit from last season. Thompson didn´t sign any free agents though expected to make the final roster.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that this is the expectation every season, that all of the rookies will contribute on special teams. The only difference that I see is a new ST coach, albeit one that was on the staff last year. I need to be convinced by actual play that we will 'overwhelm foes.'

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This was just reported by the AP:
Shortly after saying the Packers will overwhelm foes on special teams, Mason Crosby was drug tested. Results pending.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought I read something on McCarthy saying that regular starters will participate more on Special Teams just after the last season ended or thenabouts.

I expect us to improve drastically from the abysmal performance last season.

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson didn´t sign any free agents though expected to make the final roster.
Hmmmmm. We'll see. I'd be willing to bet a nickel that either Vaughters or Dantzler make the opening day roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hmmmmm. We'll see. I'd be willing to bet a nickel that either Vaughters or Dantzler make the opening day roster.

Well, I wasn´t talking about undrafted free agents. I expect a couple of them making the roster as well with Rotherman and Vaughters being on top of my list.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought I read something on McCarthy saying that regular starters will participate more on Special Teams just after the last season ended or thenabouts.

I expect us to improve drastically from the abysmal performance last season.

Fingers crossed.
Yeah it's one of those "there's no place to go but up" scenarios. Time after time though, the SB winners all have outstanding STs. I'm concerned about the punter and optimistic that Montgomery will be a great addition on returns.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm concerned about the punter and optimistic that Montgomery will be a great addition on returns.

I hope the blocking issues were mostly the reason for Masthay´s struggles and lack of confidence at the end of last season. If he doesn´t perform well in camp and preseason at least the Packers have competition on the roster in Cody Mandell.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the blocking issues were mostly the reason for Masthay´s struggles and lack of confidence at the end of last season. If he doesn´t perform well in camp and preseason at least the Packers have competition on the roster in Cody Mandell.
Good point. He was rushed a lot last year. Competition got Crosby back on track. Hope that works for Masthay as well. And better blocking!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have confidence he will perform better this season so long as the blocking is improved. He has shown in the past he is a quality punter and I am willing to write last year off as an anomaly. Punters/kickers are a tad fragile when it comes to their psyche and I think he got in a rut last year from which he never escaped. The Bama kid is a solid prospect as well and I fully expect him to push Tim for the position. Here's hoping he can have a Crosbyesque bounce-back season! Good point WIMM.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nowhere to really go but UP when it comes to special teams play.

Speaking of special teams and not picking on the Packers in general, but have seen this happen WAY to many times in all levels of football on punts. Ball is in the air, a fair catch is called for or the punt returner lets the ball land.......and the ball bounces off the ground, hits a totally unaware player and then recovered by the kicking team.

First lesson on special teams.....know where the ball is and in the above situation........GET AWAY FROM THE BOUNCING BALL FAST!!!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Drives me absolutely nuts! :coffee:

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The only two special teams units I want to ever see on the field is kick off coverage and punt returns. The other two units mean we failed at something.

H

HardRightEdge

Don`t panic, the bad man has gone away ;).
There's a life lesson here. When things are falling apart don't be among the last guys to screw up.

In one of beat writer's pieces today, he mentioned that some veterans felt there was a hangover in the 2004 season following the "4th. and 26" debacle in the 2003 playoffs. Removing the walking reminders wherever the loss is tolerable would seem to be a near inevitability.

But we shouldn't forget there were plenty of "Bill Buckner Awards" to go around.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Crosby: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...-packers-will-overwhelm-foes-on-special-teams. I hope he's right.

Football Outsiders had the Packers ranked 22 last season, and 31st in "weighted dvoa", which better reflects the team's performance at the end of the season. It's apparent TT's picks and free agent signings this year have as much to do with special teams as anything.
Which is why I think we keep 2 FBs, and only 5 WRs. Better blocking......

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a life lesson here. When things are falling apart don't be among the last guys to screw up.

In one of beat writer's pieces today, he mentioned that some veterans felt there was a hangover in the 2004 season following the "4th. and 26" debacle in the 2003 playoffs. Removing the walking reminders wherever the loss is tolerable would seem to be a near inevitability.

But we shouldn't forget there were plenty of "Bill Buckner Awards" to go around.
This is why I thought one of the most egregious mistakes made in the NFCC was rushing 3 on 3rd and 19. I believe that resulted in a big play for Seattle to keep that drive going. Ridiculous to ever rush 3 against a QB like Wilson. Ugh. Enough about the past!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Masthay has been a really good asset on this team for years. Much like Crosby's down year when 90% of the posters on this forum wanted him gone, I don't think that we need to throw out Masthay with the bathwater. The guy is solid and will likely find his rhythm again. Competition for sure is always needed, but the guy should be in his prime about now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Masthay has been a really good asset on this team for years. Much like Crosby's down year when 90% of the posters on this forum wanted him gone, I don't think that we need to throw out Masthay with the bathwater. The guy is solid and will likely find his rhythm again. Competition for sure is always needed, but the guy should be in his prime about now.

The Packers rank 26th in punting average since Masthay won the job in 2010. While I understand that cold weather factors into that he has hardly been spectacular. IMO he has to show improvement during camp and preseason to keep his job.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers rank 26th in punting average since Masthay won the job in 2010. While I understand that cold weather factors into that he has hardly been spectacular. IMO he has to show improvement during camp and preseason to keep his job.
Is that punting average including returns? if it is, it's hardly fair considering our coverage units have been more bad than average since 2010. I'm not saying Masthay has been Hentrich, but he's mostly been a consistent punter for us. If last year persists into this year, then there is a very real need for another punter on this team. Maybe i'm wrong, but besides last year, a punter wasn't even on my radar to upgrade for this team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree Capt. Masthay ranked 30th in net yards last year (21st in 2013). His average return yardage against him was ranked 14th (29th in 2013). Tied for the league with 2 blocks (not always his fault). So not a top notch punter by any means.

Fortunately, The Packers ranked first in fewest punts (49), with Dallas the closest at 57. So as long as our offense excels, less spot light on Masthay.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is that punting average including returns? if it is, it's hardly fair considering our coverage units have been more bad than average since 2010. I'm not saying Masthay has been Hentrich, but he's mostly been a consistent punter for us. If last year persists into this year, then there is a very real need for another punter on this team. Maybe i'm wrong, but besides last year, a punter wasn't even on my radar to upgrade for this team.

The stat doesn't include returns.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is that punting average including returns? if it is, it's hardly fair considering our coverage units have been more bad than average since 2010.

Take out returns and just look at Gross yardage and Masthay is 21st in 2013 and 26th in 2014 in that, far from stellar.

Return yards are a reflection on the jobs of both the punter and the special teams.

Members online

Latest posts