Packers will have a 1000 yard rusher... THIS season

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the running game came along. Grant is only about 250 yards away from getting 1000 yards. With St. Louis, Detroit, ANd the Bears, as the remaining 3 opponents, I think he will get it relatively easily.

Who would have thoughjt at the early season that the running game would become a strong point?

Now, I din't see the Raiders game. Was Grant's yards mostly in the late game when they were up by a lot or did the Packers establish the running game early and pound it out?

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the Raider game Grant came out breaking nice runs right off the bat. 3 of his first 4 carries were of the 10 yard variety I think. He ran great early.

It's an amazing turn around from the first 7 weeks of the season in which we had no run game at all and Grant only had 6 carries.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant was the core of our offense against the Raiders, he got good yards throughout the whole game and Favre passed only 23 times.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There hasn't been a dominant NFC rusher this year, Alexander in Seattle is now just getting going, Steven Jackson is not having one of his big years but I think he will be in the running, Marion Barber will probably be there,if Ryan finishes strong there will be a chance he will get an invite.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol i doubt it, the Pro Bowl NFC team is gonna be all Cowboys players plus AK74, Brett, Woodson and Barnett along with Peterson and Henderson of the Vikes. Pretty much in the same way the Bears dominated the team last year.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think that will land him a probowl spot?

It would be nice, but I think the pecking order would go

Petterson
Westbrook
Portis
Steven Jackson (over rated)
C Taylor

probably add 1 or 2 to that list before you get to Grant.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next year, if he plays as consistent as this year, will make him a lock to get there I think.

Let's hope he plays consistently.

wranglerjeansfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think he definitely deserves the probowl. romo showed last year that you dont need to play the whole season to go to hawaii. think about it: leading not just the nfc but the NFL in rushing since he's been starting on a team who had massive oline/running game problems earlier in the season. he rushes for 1.1 ypc more than sjax, and i think his 5 YPC average is second in the league among starters (behind adP).

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the running game came along. Grant is only about 250 yards away from getting 1000 yards. With St. Louis, Detroit, ANd the Bears, as the remaining 3 opponents, I think he will get it relatively easily.

Who would have thoughjt at the early season that the running game would become a strong point?

Not me. I was one of the guys *****ing earlier in the year that we need to beef up our RB position. :rotflmao:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Grant has gotten enough national attention (he has gotten some) early enough to get him the votes. He could come close though, who knows.
Barber is a lock.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, I din't see the Raiders game. Was Grant's yards mostly in the late game when they were up by a lot or did the Packers establish the running game early and pound it out?

Here is the quarter by quarter breakdown for Grant:
1- 7 carries 47 yards
2- 11 carries 43 yards
3- 9 carries 58 yards
4- 2 carries 8 yards
Left the game with 13:50 to go in the 4th and did not return.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think that will land him a probowl spot?

No chance for Grant at all this year.

1. The voting is finished before the last week or two of the season is completed so whatever Grant does at the end won't matter in the voting.

2. The fans and the players are going to have made up their minds who they will vote for by week 10-12 so everything that he has done in the last few weeks won't make them change their minds.

3. 2 RB in the NFC are already over 1000 yards. (Peterson and Westbrook.) 3 more will go over before the season ends. (James and Portis need less than 50 and Barber needs 160.)

4. Grant is in 9th place in the NFC in rushing yards and 10th in rushing TD's.

Should he start next year like he is finishing this year he has an outstanding chance of making it to the PB.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what a surprise. where does GB rank in rushing now?
9th NFC and 23 NFL. Plenty teams close so they could move up with a few more strong running games.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nfl.com has screwy stats as far as their averages go, so according to my math, if Grant gets 30 carries a game for 16 games (not likely in our offense), with his current average of 5.16 ypc, that's 154.8 yds a game, and 2476.8 yards in the season.

I know, that's not gonna happen, but that's fun to imagine him being the single-season rushing king!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Grant has gotten enough national attention (he has gotten some) early enough to get him the votes. He could come close though, who knows.

I just read Tophat's "power rankings" post.

Power Rankings

7 of the 10 rankings cite Grant or the running game's resurgence. I still don't think it will put him in the PB but he is getting some well deserved recognition. And should there be an injury replacement needed he could get the call.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:

1- 7 carries 47 yards
2- 11 carries 43 yards
3- 9 carries 58 yards
4- 2 carries 8 yards

I think by the 4th quarter, MM knew the game was a lock and took him out and put in Morency. IMO, good move on MM's part. We need Grant 100% in the playoffs. Rush him every game to keep him fresh, but once the game is won, put in Morency.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Grant.

He's good.

Does anyone know if we're still running the ZBS?

Because I think we've gotten away from it...but I'm not sure.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Grant.

He's good.

Does anyone know if we're still running the ZBS?

Because I think we've gotten away from it...but I'm not sure.

I'm no expert at the ZBS, but it looks like we're not any more.
If not, good riddance. It wasn't working for us.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Obi1 said:

1- 7 carries 47 yards
2- 11 carries 43 yards
3- 9 carries 58 yards
4- 2 carries 8 yards

I think by the 4th quarter, MM knew the game was a lock and took him out and put in Morency. IMO, good move on MM's part. We need Grant 100% in the playoffs. Rush him every game to keep him fresh, but once the game is won, put in Morency.

I agree Zombie. It was a good move. However, I was a little pissed about that because all he needed was 44 more yards and he has a 200 yard game.

R.P.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I agree Zombie. It was a good move. However, I was a little pissed about that because all he needed was 44 more yards and he has a 200 yard game.

R.P.

Come to think of it, did Ahman Green ever break 200 yards?
If not, we never had a 200 yard rusher.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts