Packers will "Cut Block" on offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on the fence on this whole issue. First of all, the scheme is effective if used properly. We know first hand, losing Super Bowl XXXII. I don't think there is an argument, that if played correctly, the zone blocking scheme works.

The problem lies in playing on the edge of the rulebook. I have several friends that are Bronco fans and I always point out their blocking scheme as borderline dirty. Now that we are going to use it, a small morale dilemma rises in me. I think the biggest problem I have with it is that a couple inches of miscalculation could result in a knee injury on the opposing defensive lineman.

I don't think the Packers have a league wide reputation as being dirty team, but this may jeopardize that.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as you play by the rules, I like the idea of cut blocking. Only problem is, it's going to take a long time for the players to use properly, since we won't cut our own players in practices.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Practicing it against your own guys to get it right?

Ask Gilbert Brown or Gabe Wilkins where their careers could be without it.

It is one of the few things that got Reggie White furiously angry.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't like it!! It makes us look bad in the eyes of the league.

I'm not sure about this guy Jags, either. In fact, it makes me question how effective it will be with our backs even though I hear it is back friendly. Gado seems to be struggling with it and I wouldn't be surprised if Green does as well.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gado IS struggling, but Brown(who?) is doing well, and Noah Herron is doing well.

Do we gauge the line\scheme\coach by ONE players ability to grasp the offense?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhh..... Cut Blocking is part of the Zone scheme. You can not run a zone scheme without cut blocking. Did you guys just now figure this out?

The whole non-playside will most likely be cut block because that is where the runner will cutback to if the hole is not there. Thats where the big plays come from.

Gado is struggling because it goes against everything that you have learned. You first look for the hole at the Point of Attack, if not there, cutback to the non-playside and run like hell. The problem lies in the timing of the cutback. You have to be somewhat patient with the hole opening but obviously can't wait forever. If you cutback to soon the defense will not be sucked in enough and it will go nowhere as well. You must get into the opening of the hole, and either hit it, or cutback. It's alot about timing and your O-line working in Tandem so as a RB you can trust your next step.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Uhhh..... Cut Blocking is part of the Zone scheme. You can not run a zone scheme without cut blocking. Did you guys just now figure this out?

i was thinking the same thing.

i used to have a problem with the ethics of it myself, but it's still legal, and it works...so as a wise Tone-Loc once said "Let's do it."

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're not willing to practice a technique against your own team in live practice, then it shouldn't be used on the field. Cut blocking should be illegal, even if done right. It's risky and not worth it.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:
If you're not willing to practice a technique against your own team in live practice, then it shouldn't be used on the field. Cut blocking should be illegal, even if done right. It's risky and not worth it.

its football, almost anything they do can hurt someone, thats why pad practices and that is limited. Interesting stuff.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom, If I came off condescending, it probably because I was trying to!

I don't care if you do not understand some X's and O's but if you want to make arguments at least know what your talking about. Just blindly stating opinions on something is complete ignorance.

C'Mon Dale, let's just admit that the NFL and Madden 2006 are 2 different things.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasnt talking about me. I know zone blocking includes cut blocking. LOL. You really are st...NOT VERY SMART! LOL. But I appreciate the fact that you coached High School football or whatever, and can be condescending to other people. I even named my Donkey after you.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh no Trom, are you going to get all weird and start obssessing over me again. Are you going to start using my sayings as your signature? Are you going to throw a hissy fit and waste 3 hours typing up a thread letting everyone know you are leaving only to come back 2 days later because you have nothing better to do?

Don't bother locking this because I am done going back and forth, I unlike Trom, have a life and have a Baseball game to attend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts