Packers will "Cut Block" on offense (part 2)

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be ignorant to the various blocking schemes in the NFL, or any level of football for that matter, but I still don't care for a system that, by its program, is more apt to end a players career.

Just my opinion!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow......that just doesn't sound right. Maybe they are just trying to put some fear into opposing teams. I think alot more of this goes on then most people know. You only find out when someone gets hurt.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you end up on the ground when you cut block someone? I would think it would be hard to recover if you missed.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players have called the Bronco offensive line the cheapest in the league for years. I'm not sure why the league doesn't outlaw it. There must be a reason, but it obviously causes more injuries.

Who cares, right? They are just big fat defensive linemen. Dime a dozen! You can bet your **** that if this was happening to "coverboy QB's" this would be outlawed immediately.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
i kid of missed it whyyy was the fist one locked?
Because Trom and Pyle needed to rekindle their vendettas.

I don't know how many of you recall the MNF game a few years back when Denver's RT cut Cinci's DE at the ankles and broke the ankle. What was awesome with the incident was that during the break, Cincy's entire D-line was over in Shanahan & Kubiaks mug on the sidelines. I so wish someone would have extracted some horse teeth.

It will be a sad day if our new scheme produces play like that.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind cut-blocking at all as long as it's done within the framework of the rules. A player cannot be cut as long as he is engaged with another player...

The one that really burns me is John Jurkovic getting cut from behind against Dallas and basically ruined his career IMO, he was never the same player. Reggie White stood over his fallen teammate with tears in his eyes.

I hope our offensive scheme does not resort to that cheap stuff but pure cut-blocking within the rules is ok with me. Just my humble opinion...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I don't mind cut-blocking at all as long as it's done within the framework of the rules. A player cannot be cut as long as he is engaged with another player...

The one that really burns me is John Jurkovic getting cut from behind against Dallas and basically ruined his career IMO, he was never the same player. Reggie White stood over his fallen teammate with tears in his eyes.

I hope our offensive scheme does not resort to that cheap stuff but pure cut-blocking within the rules is ok with me. Just my humble opinion...

I hear ya ND, the problem is injuries are going to happen with cut-blocking whether the guy is engaged or not. Just being in the vicinity of other people when getting cut-blocked is risky. It's all just to fast paced to perform a safe and correct chop block.

If they want to run the Zone scheme get used to our guys having to be considered cheap. It's a dirty thing.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank Winters was considered one of the cheapest O-Lineman in the league when he played. It's nothing new but definitely not fun to have that reputation I'm sure.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Frank Winters was considered one of the cheapest O-Lineman in the league when he played. It's nothing new but definitely not fun to have that reputation I'm sure.
Yeah, you run the risk of getting poked in the eye by an even cheaper Viking cornerback!

Frankie was a teammate and fan favorite, but hated and feared by opposing teams.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cut block is legal, and therefore should not be looked down upon as something dirty.

That said, Denver particularly, and Atlanta to a lesser extent, have basically allowed their o-linemen get away with murder. As long as the players keep it in front of them it should be fine. But when you watch Denver film, they hit from blind angles with malicious intent, as preached by that little weasel Shanahan...a man who clearly lacks integrity, IMHO.

Strikes me as a guy who may have suffered "little man syndrome" and now let's his brutes get back at the world for him via cheap, illegal football tactics.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
The cut block is legal, and therefore should not be looked down upon as something dirty.

That said, Denver particularly, and Atlanta to a lesser extent, have basically allowed their o-linemen get away with murder. As long as the players keep it in front of them it should be fine. But when you watch Denver film, they hit from blind angles with malicious intent, as preached by that little weasel Shanahan...a man who clearly lacks integrity, IMHO.

Strikes me as a guy who may have suffered "little man syndrome" and now let's his brutes get back at the world for him via cheap, illegal football tactics.

Digs, I've always liked your views! Bravo on Shanahan, what a *****!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he not the poster child for seething self-loathe that is directed outward.

Picked on by the big kids.

Didn't go to prom.

Never made the team.

"I'll show them all that I am big and important."

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

Didn't go to prom.

Never made the team.

Hey I like Mike Shanahan!!!!

Just kidding. I don't know one person outside of Denver that can stand that man. I think we all beat up....err.....knew a Mike Shanahan when we were younger!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
digsthepack said:

Didn't go to prom.

Never made the team.

Hey I like Mike Shanahan!!!!

Just kidding. I don't know one person outside of Denver that can stand that man. I think we all beat up....err.....knew a Mike Shanahan when we were younger!
Dammit Depack, I thought I was going to get to rip into you, but then I scrolled down a little more.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Past experiences make it difficult for many of us to give you the credit that you so obviously crave, DePack!! LOL

Hey, man...tin foil franchise fee is coming up!!

Glad to see you picking your spots with it.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey we have had to play against teams who cut block too. I personally don't care about it. Denver is famous for it, but Grady Jackson lost a majority of his season a couple years ago b/c of a cut block, and it hurt our defense immensely. Revenge will be swift. Anything for our team to win, you hate to see injuries, but this is football.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted on this very forum last season about the use of the cut block by Atlanta. In the first ATL/CAR game last season, TE Alge Crumpler from the University of North Carolina cut "his boy" Julius Peppers (former Tarheel teammate) early in the game leaving Peppers to be helped from the field and to the locker room.

Pep returned later in the game AND on the FIRST play from scrimmage... there was Crumpler cutting Peppers again this time with Julius leaping to avoid it.

It's dirty, uncalled for and ruins the game we all love. If you aren't man enough to block the guy in front of you, you don't need to be on the field.

That said, I don't consider a cut block by a RB on a DE or DT when the defensive player is immediately in front of him in the same regard as a blind side OL or TE cut on a DT or DE. The defensive player sees the block and make an adjustment vs. simply being hurt by a cheap shot on his knees/ankles.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts