Packers will be THE team of the new decade

Recursive

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I decided I would start a positive and uplifting thread after yesterday's heartbreak in the desert. Also, I'm new to the forum here but not a new GB fan. I was raised a Packer fan by my pops from birth... hell he even bought me a stock share when I was 12 back in '97. Anyway, introductions aside...

To me, and to many Im sure, it seems like we have quite a team on our hands. Growing up watching Green Bay through the Favre era was great fun, but I really think we have the best team we've had since the 95-98 days. With talent all over the board, there is no doubt in my mind that Green Bay will become the team of the new decade. Like the Patriots of the 2000's, I think GB will make plenty of Superbowl run's and appearances in the years to come.

This season started shakey, but as week 17 approached, it seemed like this season could end up with a Superbowl appearance. But after seeing our D get shut down yesterday, it's clear GB isnt quite ready to be the dominating force it will be in the seasons to come. So with that being said, let's enjoy the thought's of the future.

(oh and I cant believe I will be rooting for the Cowboys this weekend. I never thought Ide see the day):viksux:

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt in my mind that we'll get closer as the seasons approach. However the thing that worries me about said "talent" is if we can maintain it year after year. I mean seriously who is the best player on our team? Charles Woodson, even though he didn't have such a great performance yesterday he still is. He will be gone in 2 years and I hope by then we can make a legit run. A guy like that doesn't come often and I figure it would take another several years to replace him.

OP
OP
R

Recursive

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt in my mind that we'll get closer as the seasons approach. However the thing that worries me about said "talent" is if we can maintain it year after year. I mean seriously who is the best player on our team? Charles Woodson, even though he didn't have such a great performance yesterday he still is. He will be gone in 2 years and I hope by then we can make a legit run. A guy like that doesn't come often and I figure it would take another several years to replace him.

My thoughts exactly on Woodson, but for the most part, this team is young and as long as we can hold on to the RAW talent and they stay healthy we have a team to be reckoned with.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The secondary will be key in the years to come. The draft picks that we have used haven't turned out as well as what we would have liked. Also offensive line will be an issue again next year.

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, the talent needs to turn into dependable players. Example: A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett. They've both shown incredibile talent, but still they need to develop consistency despite having been in the league for a while. I like our chances for the next decade and support you optimism, but while dreaming let's remind ourselves we've got our issues.

cantstop12to85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have suuuch a strong squad thats gonna take the field these upcoming seasons. With the work we will put into our o line and secondary as well as improving a run game we could truly become unstoppable. Especially with aaron rodgers behind the center because that man literally goes to work when hes back there. I still have so much faith in him because yesterday was such a a bad job by the o line and i relly believe a rod is gonna take us to a super bowl. I also believe we have the capabilities of the patriots last decade but the question is whether we have the tenacity to get the job done. Regardless I BELIEVE!!

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” - V.L.

We as fans don't get to take a look inside the locker room, but I really hope McCarthy doesn't let these young guys go home for weeks now with their heads hung low. This team has everything to be proud about, and everything to look forward to.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Think of it this way, all the younger talent we have at DB is learning from woodson, im sure when he is gone they will be able to hold their own.

deloj8809

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson leaving is going to hurt the team as will Donald Driver's retirement. Right now he looks like he could play until he is 50 but that obviously is not realistic. Driver and Jennings are possibly the most dynamic WR duo in the NFL. When Driver is gone who will replace him. Jones and Nelson both play well in their current rolls but when it comes time to step up and play big will they answer the call? I think we will need to sign a play maker at the receiver position in the next year of too if we want to continue to be successful.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, while I agree with you we need to solve problems at a few positions.

What most concerns me is the secondary. Sure, Woodson and Harris are great now but what about in 2 years? Maybe ever 1 year? They could both be gone. Tramon might be able to step in one of those spots but we either have to draft a good corner(not another Ahmad Carroll) or find one in FA like we did with Woodson. Collins is fine at FS(sign him please!) and at SS Bigby is okay for now....I guess.

The linebackers are fine, Hawk, Matthews and Jones are young and Barnett probably has another 4 years or so on him. Maybe we can trade Kampman but we'll see. ON the D Line we are okay. Jenkins is youngish, Raji is young though he has a big mouth, Pickett has a few more years left in him I think and Jolly is young.....but this whole cocaine thing better not become a pattern.

Offensively, the only area of concern is the offensive line. Tauchser and Clifton are good now but will be gone soon, so they must be replaced. Lang has shown promise but I have little faith in Barbre. I say we need to draft at least one O Lineman in the early rounds.

At wide receiver Driver is getting old but will probably be around another two or three years and Jones can replace him. I like Nelson too. Jennings will be around for years to come. We're okay here.

At running back Grant probably has another 4 years left on him, running backs tend to wear down quicker now-a-days.

The one spot we don't have to worry about is the most important of all. Quarterback. After last nights game I have never had more faith in Aaron Rodgers than I do now. We just can't let him get hit too much.

deloj8809

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree with you that Finley is going to be a beat in our offense but a team can never have too many play makers on offense. That is what has made the Packers so explosive in the past two seasons.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If not mistaken Jolly is a free agent?

At start of season I didnt want them to re-sign him, now I do

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If not mistaken Jolly is a free agent?

At start of season I didnt want them to re-sign him, now I do

He really stepped it up this year. Too bad he couldnt put down the purple drank and pop his head out of his *** earlier. It looks like the Packers are going to wait and see how his legal trouble plays out before making him an offer.

Members online

Latest posts