Packers vs. Vikings

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:pop: :pop: Get Your Popcorn Ready :pop: :pop:
What is with the, "We got JA so we are invincible BS"
I look at the Vikings and ask why they think they can do much better than last year let alone contend for the division.
Last time the Packers played their amazing D-Line we were the first team to have over 100 rushing yards on them. To add we also shut AP down both times along with shutting your whole offense down. I dont think Jared Allen will play OL and TJ has not changed so what is the hype. Also I hear some Viking fans talking about winning the North...
Even if Rodgers sucks or Brohm sucks we have the most YAC out of any team with great wides, I just dont see that happening.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the vikings have upgraded their team and will be a worthy foe come september.

BUT.

until they get a coach worth his weight in creepy glasses and any semblance of a mature and decent passing game. they will never beat us.

Tjack + minny wide recievers + Childress coaching = same ol vikings.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until the shut out they have always played us close. I see a nail biter on our hands. Rodgers will get sacked at least once hehe, but we will still win :)

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good example of someone looking at one or two games and trying to use it as a template for the season.

1) Go ahead and keep underestimating AD. Despite your claim to have "shut him down" both games, the first game (his 4th ever in the NFL) you "held" him to 112 yards. And he was still splitting carries with Taylor. His second game was shortened by injury. AD does his best running in the 4th Q, so we will never know what that would have been. Either way, I would hardly call that shutting someone down (unless you plan on taking out his knees every game).

2) Let you forget, while you were one of the only teams to rush for 100+ yards against the Vikes last year, you only had 46 yards the first time we met. Grant had a very good game in GB, but that is the exception, not the rule. If you are expecting it every time, then you are silly.

3) The addition of JA is a pretty big deal, regardless of whether or not you choose to admit it. The biggest problem with the Vikes last year was the lack of a pass rush. Adding the NFL sack leader next to arguably the best DT tandem in the NFL is certainly pretty big.

The hubris of some of the packer fans here is pretty humorous. Disregarding some rather large offseason additions to the Vikings roster (Allen, Berrian, Williams) while ignoring a pretty huge loss to the Pack (Fav-re) is a sure way to set yourself up for disappointment.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, the Vikings and Packers are both legitimate contenders for the NFC North crown this year.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the vikings have upgraded their team and will be a worthy foe come september.

BUT.

until they get a coach worth his weight in creepy glasses and any semblance of a mature and decent passing game. they will never beat us.

Tjack + minny wide recievers + Childress coaching = same ol vikings.

Remind me to quote this on September 9th... the day after the game.

OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well considering the incredible skill of Berrian I must reconsider, wait 71 catches for only 910 yards with 5 TD's! Well that is better than what you guys had before but Greg jennings had more yards and TD's with less receptions. Some of that is Favre but we had the most yards after the catch unlike any reviever you have on your team. Which means if Rodgers dumps it off in a 5-Wide set it is going for 10+ yards. Not to mention Jordy Nelson. A good DL does nothing if you cant cover the pass and the corners you have cannot cover a 5 Wide set any day. Rodgers dosn't have to be good, he just needs to throw 10 yard passes like he did in Dallas. You can assume 3 players can change your team but that is crazy, you havn't seen them play in the Viking playbook yet. To be honest the Packers havent changed much we lost Favre thats it, in fact if Favre would have dumped it off to Grant in overtime we would have been in the superbowl. You gain some and you lose some with Favre, but I will be shocked if the Vikings get over .500 with your lack of talent in every position except RB, and DL.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well considering the incredible skill of Berrian I must reconsider, wait 71 catches for only 910 yards with 5 TD's! Well that is better than what you guys had before but Greg jennings had more yards and TD's with less receptions. Some of that is Favre but we had the most yards after the catch unlike any reviever you have on your team. Which means if Rodgers dumps it off in a 5-Wide set it is going for 10+ yards. Not to mention Jordy Nelson. A good DL does nothing if you cant cover the pass and the corners you have cannot cover a 5 Wide set any day. Rodgers dosn't have to be good, he just needs to throw 10 yard passes like he did in Dallas. You can assume 3 players can change your team but that is crazy, you havn't seen them play in the Viking playbook yet. To be honest the Packers havent changed much we lost Favre thats it, in fact if Favre would have dumped it off to Grant in overtime we would have been in the superbowl. You gain some and you lose some with Favre, but I will be shocked if the Vikings get over .500 with your lack of talent in every position except RB, and DL.

Now you are just being silly.

For the record, our OL is one of the best in the business too. McKinney, Hutch, Birk... any of those names ring a bell?

What about our LB corp? EJ Henderson, Leber?

And you can try and knock on our D all you want, but the Vikings still had one of the better defenses int he league last year. Their only issue was the lack of pass rush, and that should be significantly upgraded this year.

Face it, we really have a lack of talent in one position. QB. I admit it. TJack is not high on my list of players right now. But with the defense we are fielding, and the running game we have, we only need our QB to be serviceable to post a winning record.

Take off the green glasses and look at it objectively, and you will see that I am speaking the truth. Or keep them on, only to have them shattered come September. Either one works for me... :)

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro, bear in mind that MM has gotten the team off to a sluggish start in both of his season-openers as our HC.

JA is gonna be a huge huge challenge on day 1, remember that our o-line is suspect, and Cliffy and those creaky knees are another year older.

In game one against MN last year, both teams had players in unsettled roles. We managed to squeak out a division road win there.

Game two was a dominant performance, and AD is historically injury-prone, so the notion that we "planned on taking out his knees" is silly, although I'm betting you were half-jesting with that comment, Nodak.

This should be a good Prime Time matchup to start out the season, but I think you'll see Rodgers and his YAC'ers exposing the 'ol Tampa-2 that Minny's running. AD will probably have been knicked up during Training Camp, so I won't worry about him till I see the Vikes' injury report on gameday without him on it....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nodak - Will all due respect, you have arguably the 2nd best RB in the NFL. In 2 years, he'll probably be the best.

You have an awesome DL.

You also have Childress as your Coach. If it was just #1 & #2, I'd be worried, really worried.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:pop: :pop: Get Your Popcorn Ready :pop: :pop:
What is with the, "We got JA so we are invincible BS"
I look at the Vikings and ask why they think they can do much better than last year let alone contend for the division.
Last time the Packers played their amazing D-Line we were the first team to have over 100 rushing yards on them. To add we also shut AP down both times along with shutting your whole offense down. I dont think Jared Allen will play OL and TJ has not changed so what is the hype. Also I hear some Viking fans talking about winning the North...
Even if Rodgers sucks or Brohm sucks we have the most YAC out of any team with great wides, I just dont see that happening.

I was at the game in the metrodome this last year and, to be honest, the Packers weren't even close to shutting down AP. Childress shut him down by sitting him almost the entire second half. I still think GB matches up well with the Vikes but I just wanted to add my two cents on this post...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the game in the metrodome this last year and, to be honest, the Packers weren't even close to shutting down AP. Childress shut him down by sitting him almost the entire second half. I still think GB matches up well with the Vikes but I just wanted to add my two cents on this post...

Thus is why I'm not worried about the Vikings.

The Vikings will give us a scare, then Childress will do something stupid and cost them the game. As long as Childress is coaching, we win at least one game a year against the Vikings.

Sorry Nodak. It's your Coach that sucks, not your team.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good example of someone looking at one or two games and trying to use it as a template for the season.

1) Go ahead and keep underestimating AD. Despite your claim to have "shut him down" both games, the first game (his 4th ever in the NFL) you "held" him to 112 yards. And he was still splitting carries with Taylor. His second game was shortened by injury. AD does his best running in the 4th Q, so we will never know what that would have been. Either way, I would hardly call that shutting someone down (unless you plan on taking out his knees every game).

2) Let you forget, while you were one of the only teams to rush for 100+ yards against the Vikes last year, you only had 46 yards the first time we met. Grant had a very good game in GB, but that is the exception, not the rule. If you are expecting it every time, then you are silly.

3) The addition of JA is a pretty big deal, regardless of whether or not you choose to admit it. The biggest problem with the Vikes last year was the lack of a pass rush. Adding the NFL sack leader next to arguably the best DT tandem in the NFL is certainly pretty big.

The hubris of some of the packer fans here is pretty humorous. Disregarding some rather large offseason additions to the Vikings roster (Allen, Berrian, Williams) while ignoring a pretty huge loss to the Pack (Fav-re) is a sure way to set yourself up for disappointment.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, the Vikings and Packers are both legitimate contenders for the NFC North crown this year.

I agree with you.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, our OL is one of the best in the business too. McKinney, Hutch, Birk... any of those names ring a bell?

I'll give ya Birk, but I think Hutch is overpaid, and overrated. Better than our current Guards? Easily. But still overpaid.

You should be able to tell me, how is McKinney looking with his possible suspension? Never heard much after the initial rumblings, is there any further word or will this go the way of Nick Barnett's incident?

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:

Thus is why I'm not worried about the Vikings.

The Vikings will give us a scare, then Childress will do something stupid and cost them the game. As long as Childress is coaching, we win at least one game a year against the Vikings.

Sorry Nodak. It's your Coach that sucks, not your team.

Now you see, that is a decent statement. One I won't even argue with (right now). ;)

But people say things like "we also shut AP down both times" it shows me that they are either looking through green glasses, or really don't understand the game.

I usually expect better out of Packer fans. I thought you guys lived and breathed football. Most of you know how to be objective about things like this... If I wanted to see blind fandom, I would talk to Bears fans. ;)

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

I'll give ya Birk, but I think Hutch is overpaid, and overrated. Better than our current Guards? Easily. But still overpaid.

You should be able to tell me, how is McKinney looking with his possible suspension? Never heard much after the initial rumblings, is there any further word or will this go the way of Nick Barnett's incident?

I fully expect McKinney to get a four game suspension. There hasn't been much talk about it, but the fact is that he beaned a bouncer over the head with a 40 pound pole, after both the bouncer and the cops told him to leave (which he did... but came back).

Losing McKinney for four games will hurt, but I think it is the right thing to do. I was very surprised that the Vikings didn't pick up some OL help in the draft.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect a split between GB and Min this year as I do every year.

Allen is a great addition but I don't expect him to be the sack leader again this year. I think he got alot of sacks off some bad teams last year. All in all I think JA and Kamp are pretty equal. I wouldn't be suprised for Min to get a couple sacks, but GB will get them also. What was it 7 sacks GB got against the Vikes last year, between KGB, Kamp, Pickett and Jolly.

Peterson tallied a bunch of yards 112 in the first meeting but was kept from the end zone, which GB was pretty good at doing.

I expect a close game, with GB winning. Watch for MM to counter the pass rush with screens, and quick passes.

Can't wait for the game. GB 21, Min 17.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
your telling us to proceed with caution with our predictions... yet your team went 8-8 last year. not talking smack... but with a 13-3 record we've earned a little bit more cred to make a prediction.

combined 57 points to your 16 last year and racked up over 700 yards in the air and we added a quality(hopefully) WR in the draft. you gained some pash rush...we gained speed at the QB position. you didnt add receivers (any worth a damn at least) and your QB and coach are HUGE question marks. so when your pass rush gets going OUR coach is gonna throw a screen or just pass the ball in general... which we know you cant stop. when your rushing star gets going..YOUR coach is gonna bench him.

everyone else on here is gonna come in and try to be delicate and not jinx it. But im not scared. you guys are and up and coming team NO DOUBT about it. but we are just 3 or 4 steps ahead of you.

AP can run for 3000 yards against us for all i care. i actually like that kid. he ran well against us last year... the story remained the same... Pack wins.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is Pat Williams going to retire and who do they have to replace him? He's 35 now...

Even though Pat Williams is playing the best football of his life, I expect him to retire in two or three seasons. We are currently bringing up Fred Evans, a young player we picked up at the beginning of training camp last year. He showed some promise, and played in 11 games last year. I expect him to be the heir apparent to Phat Pat.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
your telling us to proceed with caution with our predictions... yet your team went 8-8 last year. not talking smack... but with a 13-3 record we've earned a little bit more cred to make a prediction.

combined 57 points to your 16 last year and racked up over 700 yards in the air and we added a quality(hopefully) WR in the draft. you gained some pash rush...we gained speed at the QB position. you didnt add receivers (any worth a damn at least) and your QB and coach are HUGE question marks. so when your pass rush gets going OUR coach is gonna throw a screen or just pass the ball in general... which we know you cant stop. when your rushing star gets going..YOUR coach is gonna bench him.

everyone else on here is gonna come in and try to be delicate and not jinx it. But im not scared. you guys are and up and coming team NO DOUBT about it. but we are just 3 or 4 steps ahead of you.

AP can run for 3000 yards against us for all i care. i actually like that kid. he ran well against us last year... the story remained the same... Pack wins.

With all due respect, you pick up a defender-turned-WR in the second round, and it is considered a quality addition to your receiving corps. But we sign the most sought after WR in free agency, who caught for 951 yards (average of 13.4) last year and we didn't get any WRs worth a damn?

Come on. Let's be a little realistic here.

FYI, the whole "you can't stop the pass" argument is a little misleading. The biggest reason we struggled against the pass was because of a lack of pass rush. Want to see what our secondary can do when the pass rush is on? Check out the games against San Diego or the Giants.

It is going to take a little more than deciding to "just pass the ball in general" in order to stop our pass rush. I hope that Rodgers can read defenses as quickly as you think he can... for his sake.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

With all due respect, you pick up a defender-turned-WR in the second round, and it is considered a quality addition to your receiving corps. But we sign the most sought after WR in free agency, who caught for 951 yards (average of 13.4) last year and we didn't get any WRs worth a damn?

Come on. Let's be a little realistic here.

FYI, the whole "you can't stop the pass" argument is a little misleading. The biggest reason we struggled against the pass was because of a lack of pass rush. Want to see what our secondary can do when the pass rush is on? Check out the games against San Diego or the Giants.

It is going to take a little more than deciding to "just pass the ball in general" in order to stop our pass rush. I hope that Rodgers can read defenses as quickly as you think he can... for his sake.

no no no.. im not trying to downplay your offseason. yall have done a good job and you have a decent team that concerns me. ive said that.

but being realistic.... adding Bernard Berrian doesnt really strike fear in my heart. THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER FA WR??? a guy that wouldnt crack our top 3 right now. I simply think that our offseasons were a wash. yall added some peices. so did we. neither of us know how those additions will really help our team

REALISTICLY. I think we went 13-3 and did enough to stay 4 steps ahead of anything yall might bring. as usual.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers reads defenses just fine. Just ask Dallas. Maybe Trom can post that video link again in case you doubt.

I found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDNW_8nefQ

He fits McCarthy's scheme so well that the only concern is his staying healthy.

I would say the question for this Vikes/Pack game will be the Pack's pass rush, which has been sorely misplaced since Nov.

OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In defense of myself and my posts I will like to add that I only think logically, Although I don't think the packers will do the spectacular I think they will be much better than the Vikings. When I was talking about shutting down I meant the second game when we shut the Vikings out. I respect NodakPaul and all the Vikings for posting on a Packer forum but it is our turf you are posting on and everything I say is with Packer Pride. I just dont see 3 players, with 1 impact player giving you +9 wins. I can argue for the Packers because we lost one major player and we have a QB who has been coached by that HOF with 3 years experience. You need a QB which the Vikings do not have. If you put LT and AP in the backfield with say Ryan Grant at QB that all star running back core would get blitzed every play which is why you cannot win games like that.

Members online

Latest posts