Packers vs Vikings: Reviews & Preview

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP HAT'S WEEKLY GAME REVIEW:

Summary:

Setting several NFL records, Q Favre lead the unbeaten Packers to a tough 23-16 victory in the Vikings Metrodome. Favre completed 32 of 45 passes for 344 yards using a ball control passing game with 2 touchdowns, & no interceptions. Favre set a new NFL record of 422 touchdown passes. The Pack is 4-0. Favre threw vintage 3rd down touchdown passes to WR Jennings and WR Jones. The Packers struggled in the rushing game getting 46 yards on 20 carries. The Packer defense gave up big plays, but they kept the Vikings generally out of the end zone. The defense got 4 crucial sacks, a fumble recovery, & an interception. Packers DE KGB had two sacks in the game leaving him tied with the great DE White's franchise record of 68.5 sacks.

Quotes:

Woodson: “I don’t think it was a good day for us. Yeah, we held them out of the end zone, but we gave up way too much at times, way too many big plays. Those are things we’ve been good the first few games at eliminating. (Sunday) we gave up those huge runs, a couple passes. We just can’t do it.”

McCarthy: “I thought our pass rush was very good, particularly in the second half. The run defense struggled, Peterson was exceptional, he is an exciting young back. We need to do a much better job, teams are going to keep coming at us the same way as we move on to Chicago (this week). But I thought our pass rush was very good.”

Bradshaw: “Brett Favre is the best I have ever seen, and I’ve never said that about anybody. He’s simply the best. He’s got the strongest arm, athleticism, field presence, leadership, poise and tenaciousness. He plays hurt, he’s fun, he’s infectious. He has everything I want to see, including the game-time decisions, the strengths, and all the intangibles.”

Turning Point:

At the beginning of the 3rd quarter, in the Packers’ first offensive series using 9 minutes, P Ryan executed a [called off] fake punt on 4th down & gained 7 yards for a 1st down leading to a crucial field goal.

Report Card: The Good, Bad & Ugly

Passing offense: A

QB Favre had a record setting day completing 32 of 45 passes for 344 yards to ten different receivers with two touchdowns & 108.0 passer rating. Favre was brilliant making crucial plays to win the game. He did exactly that completing two touchdown passes on two third downs. The offensive line did a good job in pass protection, but they did allow one crucial sack [T Tauscher] & six knockdowns. G Colledge needs to be more steady. G Coston held his own against a nasty DT K. Williams. T Clifton missed a key block & gave up two pressures. As I predicted, the three-receiver, two tight-end formation has become an effective offensive weapon. TE Lee led receivers with 4 catches for 66 yards, but he had a crucial fumble in the red zone. WR Driver, WR Martin, WR Jones, & WR Jennings had good games. Returning veteran RB Morency caught 2 passes for 33 yards. Yet, the Packers were only one of three in the red zone offense.

Rushing offense: D

The rushing game struggled badly with poor backside blocking & execution getting only 46 yards on 20 carries averaging 2.3 yards per carry. RB Wynn did okay leading rushers with 10 carries for 20 yards. RB Grant had 3 carries for 17 yards, but he looked shaky losing one fumble. The Packers must have the option of a power formation running game, especially in short yardage. On two offensive drives, the Packers stalled failing to get one yard for a first down. As a reviewer said:

“In Sunday's victory over the Minnesota Vikings, the Packers were facing a third and inches from Minnesota's 15 yard line early in the fourth quarter, clinging to a 13-9 lead. Instead of pounding the ball in an attempt to gain a yard or two for a first down, Favre fired a laser to Driver that bounced off his hands for an incompletion.”

As Coach McCarthy said:

"The bottom line is we need to score points and move the ball up and down the field. We've been doing that for the last three weeks. We didn't do a good job in Week 1...but we need to work at it. I'm a run-the-ball offensive-minded person, but we're not doing it as well as we can right now, and I need to have more confidence in calling the plays. That's the hurdle that we need to get over."

Passing defense: B-

The Packer defense gave up a lot of yardage and a lot of big plays. For a forecasted top elite defense, they are 15th against the run and 23rd against the pass. While they had a solid pass rush, the coverage allowed a shaky backup quarterback to complete 21 of 39 passes for 258 yards with one touchdown. CB Woodson and CB Harris, fighting injuries, played good, but they got multiple penalties & gave up a few big plays. Backup CB Bush had mixed reviews giving up early receptions, having a solid middle & allowing a late touchdown pass. S Bigby played generally solid forcing a fumble & getting a crucial late interception. CB Blackmon played solid, but he and S Collins dropped easy interceptions.

Rushing defense: D

The rushing defense looked awful allowing 21 carries for 155 yards with several big runs. The critical mistakes appeared to be the lack of the defensive tackles to stay home in the middle trusting teammates and the failure of the linebackers to properly clog running lanes. DT Pickett had a stellar game. DT Jolly, DE Kampman, & DE Jenkins did poorly against the run. LB Barnett, LB Hawk, & LB Poppinga had an average game against workhorse rookie RB Peterson. They did a lot of grabbing & catching. LB Hawk was out-of-position in many plays due to drifting in coverage. They can play a lot better. These mistakes are correctable.

Special teams: B+

The special teams looked good except for one long kickoff return by KR Peterson. The special teams did not allow the Vikings to have good field position for most of the game. K Crosby kicked 3 for 3 field goals and his five kickoffs averaged 71.4 yards with 4.09 seconds hang time. P Ryan had 4 punts averaging 49.0 gross, 44.3 net, and 4.48 hang time. KR Williams and KR Bodiford averaged 22 yards per return.

Coaching: B+

Overall, the halftime adjustments improved the defensive running game. However, in the game plan, the failure to get a decent running game established and the failure to get first downs on two crucial 3 and 1 downs are simply unacceptable. Further, the fumble with less than two minutes left in the game was sloppy offensive execution. The team had four fumbles, two lost, and two costly turnovers.

Overall: A-

The Packers are unbeaten at 4-0 winning on the road in the Metrodome. The Vikings were fired up hoping to get an upset. The victory is a great win for the Packer nation. Luck and QB Favre are good enough to win four games. We have a long way to go. Now, the Pack can demolish the “unbearable” Bears at home.

SUGGESTIONS:

1. Power formation running attack, especially in short yardage.

2. An improved physical rushing defense filling all gaps.

Balls2TheWalls

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs Vikings: Insider Review

I'm gonna have to disagree with the Pass Defense grade. The pass rush was excellent, and a team is going to put up passing yards if they pass enough times. Kelly Holcomb's passing numbers were unspectacular even with his 4th quarter.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
REVIEW: GRADES & GAME BALLS

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/index.php?ntid=248638&ntpid=5

Packers: Tom Oates' grades for Minnesota game

Offense: B

It's Brett Favre's world, we're just living in it. To go 32-of-45 for 344 yards and two touchdowns with no running game is special. The pass protection was superb. The botched exchange at the end can't happen.

Defense: B

The Packers couldn't stop dynamic rookie Adrian Peterson, but Vikings coach Brad Childress could, giving Peterson only two second-half carries. The defense stubbornly held the Vikings to field goals until the fourth quarter.

Special teams: A-

Except for Peterson's 51-yard kickoff return, the Packers dominated. Vikings punter Chris Klewe is among the best, but Jon Ryan outkicked him all day. Mason Crosby matched the Vikings' Ryan Longwell field goal for field goal.

Overall: B+

Favre got the career touchdown record and Green Bay got its fourth win in four games. What more could a Packers fan want out of a trip to the Metrodome?

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/index.php?ntid=248639&ntpid=6

Packers: Jason Wilde's game balls for Minnesota game

QB BRETT FAVRE

Coach Mike McCarthy gave Favre the game ball after the game, and who are we to disagree? Favre was 32-of-45 for 344 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions for a 108.0 passer rating, his fifth straight 100-plus rating at the Metrodome. Oh, and he broke Dan Marino's NFL record for career touchdown passes with No. 421 to Greg Jennings and No. 422 to James Jones.

WR GREG JENNINGS

Jennings caught No. 420 last week, the go-ahead touchdown in a 31-24 win over San Diego, then caught the record-breaker on a 16-yard slant in the first quarter Sunday. Not bad for a guy who missed the first two games of the season with a bad hamstring.

S ATARI BIGBY

Bigby looked bad on Adrian Peterson's 55-yard run, but he made two colossal turnover plays — stripping fullback Jeff Dugan to set up the Packers' first touchdown and intercepting a deflected Kelly Holcomb pass with just over a minute left to seal the win.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Review

http://www.mytvisonfire.com/packersnation/?p=2387

Packers At Vikings Game Review: While the Packers didn’t play their best they still pulled out the game in the end.

Key Players in Victory

Brett Favre was great once again. Congratulations to Favre for setting the TD record as well. So far this season it looks like Brett Favre can’t do anything wrong. His accuracy is great, his yardage is impressive, his TDs are up this year, and his interceptions are down. Brett Favre is playing like an MVP. (Personally at this point Favre should win the MVP because just as MVP stands for Brett is the Most Valuable Player). Brett has been playing impressive let’s hope it continues. The receivers and tight ends were impressive once again. Our receivers and TEs continuingly get open and make plays. Whether they are shot dump off passes or deep passes our receivers are pulling almost every pass in. While Brett is playing amazing this year, his receivers are really helping as well.

Atari Bigby had the best defensive performance of the game. First he caused a fumble which lead to a score. Bigby also had the game winning INT. While he made a mistake on one of the long Peterson runs Bigby played well the rest of the game. Bigby has shown so far this year what happens when you don’t have a safety that continuing gives up big plays (Manual). KGB had a great game as well. KGB showed yesterday that as just a pass rusher KGB is still a very good player. KGB had two sacks yesterday which I believe ties him with Reggie for the most sacks in Packers history.

Players that didn’t help in the victory

Jarrett Bush had another bad game. Bush was picked on in coverage the entire game. While Bush didn’t match up well against his receiver (his receiver was taller and faster than him) he still needs to make more plays. Bush needs to improve soon or I believe Blackmon will be taking the Nickel back job.

Ryan Grant made a huge mistake fumbling the ball at the end of the game. At that point in the game the most important thing is to hold onto the ball. The fumble didn’t cost us the game but it easily could have. We can’t make stupid mistakes like this in the future.

Why the Packers Won

The Packers passed the ball well once again. If teams don’t figure out how to stop our passing game I don’t know how teams are going to be able to beat us. Our passing game seems to be in perfect harmony at this time. Brett and the receivers have both been great so far this season. The Packers defense bent but didn’t break. While the Packers defense gave up quite a few yards they stepped it up when it mattered. The Packers could easily have given up several TDs but they stopped the Vikings just in time to cause them to kick field goals.

What the Packers Still Need to Improve

The running game still needs to improve. Until our running game can get a 100 yard rushing game I will still call it a problem. So far this season the Packers haven’t needed the running game. The running game needs to improve though if we want to do anything in the playoffs because our passing game will not be able to keep playing this well.

Our defense needs to play better between the 20s. While the defense plays great near the red zone they need to stop teams from gaining so many yards and getting field goals. The field goals will eventually rack up and lead to some loses. If we want to reach the next level on defense we are going to have to cause more three and outs.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
REVIEW

we are 4-0

HMMMM, I believe I said that in my posted weekly game review at the beginning of the thread. Now, let us make it 5-0.

ESPN says we have an underrated defense in their glowing reviews of our team focused upon Favre. Also, they project a possible new "ice bowl?" showdown with Dallas in the playoffs. Meanwhile, our regular season game with Dallas is on NFL Network.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GAME PLAN PREVIEW: IMPROVEMENTS

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/10/2/15654/1087

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Monday Packers Review

Apparently the run by P Jon Ryan really was a called fake punt. CB Will Blackmon was a gunner on the play and he only ran half-heartedly down the sidelines, just enough to keep his man downfield, so it appeared to be a designed fake punt, but it had to be the worst one ever. Ryan ran straight into three Vikings, but somehow managed to cut back and run past them. The Packers had four fumbles, two that were recovered by Minnesota, and it isn't surprising that Mike McCarthy is unhappy about it. The strip of TE Donald Lee was a near perfect play by S Dwight Smith. I'm not concerned about either WR Greg Jennings or RB Ryan Grant, yet, but McCarthy shouldn't be surprised about RB Vernand Morency. He had problems keeping his hands on the ball last season too.

The Packers made their choice this preseason to release last season's nickel CB Patrick Dendy and keep CB Jarrett Bush instead. Against Minnesota that didn't look like such a smooth move: "The Bears are going to target Jarrett Bush, just like Minnesota this past week and San Diego the week before. Assuming Bush remains the third cornerback -- coach Mike McCarthy gave his play a surprisingly glowing review Monday -- the Bears will have favorable matchups whether he's lined up over Bernard Berrian, Muhsin Muhammad, Rashied Davis or, on rare occasions, tight end Desmond Clark. There's also an outside chance Al Harris will be sidelined, which would further tilt those matchups in Chicago's favor."

Bush was kept because he looked better in single coverage along the sidelines than Dendy, which would make Bush more valuable if either starting CB Al Harris or Charles Woodson couldn't play and Bush had to start on the outside. Maybe it was intentional for Bush to give so much cushion with the idea of giving Minnesota short yardage but nothing deep, but that seems unlikely since QB Kelly Holcomb's deep passes were way off target and there was no real danger. CB Al Harris has gotten knocked out in at least two games this season, but keeps managing to come back and play great.

LB Brady Poppinga was not getting any love: "Meanwhile, the Packers were showing they haven't plugged the leaks that have allowed multiple "explosive" gains on running plays to two of their last three opponents. Not attacking any gap that's supposed to be occupied by Brady Poppinga would be a mistake." Against Minnesota, he didn't make any big plays, but it seemed like RB Adrian Peterson had a lot of success running everywhere. If anything, it seemed like Minnesota had more success running to the weakside at LB A.J. Hawk, but since I wasn't tracking whether running plays went left, straight, or right, I could easily be wrong. All the linebackers could fill the holes better.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: Review: Weaknesses & Preview

dhpackr said:
we are 4-0

HMMMM, I believe I said that in my review. Now, let us make it 5-0. ESPN says we have an underrated defense and maybe a returning "ice bowl?" showdown with Dallas. HMMMMM.
You wrote a review?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPHAT said:
dhpackr said:
we are 4-0

HMMMM, I believe I said that in my review. Now, let us make it 5-0. ESPN says we have an underrated defense and maybe a returning "ice bowl?" showdown with Dallas. HMMMMM.
You wrote a review?

I think the very first one was Tophat's. We got an A- overall. MM got a B+ and Favre got an A.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
TOPHAT said:
dhpackr said:
we are 4-0

You wrote a review?

I think the very first one was Tophat's. We got an A- overall. MM got a B+ and Favre got an A.
oh duh ... i missed that completely :dunce:

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how the Packers inability to get the run game going is unacceptable. If it was an average run defense we were up against, that's one thing. No one runs on the Vikes (Stephen Jackson in the final week of last season notwithstanding). It wasn't part of our gameplan. It wasn't seen as advantageous to essentially waste downs trying to get 2 yards. We ran enough to take some pressure off the passing game and it was enough. I suspect we'll run a little more against the worn-down Bears defense, and even more in the weeks to come. Why? Because we'll actually have a chance to gain some yards.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why they're ripping on Poppinga. I think he's played very well. I haven't noticed other teams having any more success running the ball to his side than they have to the other side. They also say that he didn't make any big plays against Minnesota, which shows they weren't paying attention. In the fourth quarter he blew up a running play to his side and dumped Chester Taylor for a 9-yard loss.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot the most important grade.

Officiating A+++++ from a Packer fan perspective.

Officiating F------- from a Viking fan perspective.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

You do know that even if the Refs called each play you wanted in your favor, the Packers would have still won. You know that, right?

Regardless of the calls, the Packers played better and are better... at this point in time. Just face it.
You can stop being ***** and put on your green and gold gear and join the rest of the intelligent fan nation who cheer the Packers :)

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Victim mentality.

It is developed from continuously and hopelessly losing...

You need to seek counseling now!

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:

You do know that even if the Refs called each play you wanted in your favor, the Packers would have still won. You know that, right?

Regardless of the calls, the Packers played better and are better... at this point in time. Just face it.
You can stop being ***** and put on your green and gold gear and join the rest of the intelligent fan nation who cheer the Packers :)

The ref's wanted the Packers to win, and they wanted to see Favre break the record. I have not seen such terrible officiating since the Kansas City game. In all seriousness, they blew at least 3 calls. One a fumble that would have been returned for a touchdown. But, good teams overcome bad calls, bad teams ***** about them. So, all I can do is *****. :lol: :lol:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ref's wanted the Packers to win, and they wanted to see Favre break the record. I have not seen such terrible officiating since the Kansas City game. In all seriousness, they blew at least 3 calls. One a fumble that would have been returned for a touchdown. But, good teams overcome bad calls, bad teams ***** about them. So, all I can do is *****. :lol: :lol:

Duuuuude. You're probably on the wrong froum if you want anyone to believe any of that horse-poo sour grapes ******-speak. :lol:

Btw, I love how you haven't seen such horrible officiating since....... last week. lol

Members online

Latest posts