Packers vs Seahawks Postgame: Reviews

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
little worried about the Greg Jennings situation. 11 recievers catch balls... he isnt one of them.

has he regressed, is he being ignored, is it preseason and it doesnt really matter?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't put much stock on pre-season games, but damn that felt good watching the Pack **** the Seahawks. The D looked excellent, IMO. A VAST improvement over what we used to see during the Sherman era.

Now let's hope the O starts to gel a little....

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't put much stock on pre-season games, but damn that felt good watching the Pack **** the Seahawks. The D looked excellent, IMO. A VAST improvement over what we used to see during the Sherman era.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

With our defense playing like that, I believe Lambeau is going to be a place that other teams dread coming to. That was something that was lost in the Sherman era. Football is always won in the trenches, and Uncle Ted has sure has restocked both lines of scrimmage.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

With our defense playing like that, I believe Lambeau is going to be a place that other teams dread coming to. That was something that was lost in the Sherman era. Football is always won in the trenches, and Uncle Ted has sure has restocked both lines of scrimmage.

You're not kidding. Especially the D-line. We have 3 good DE's and a handful of good DT's.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FUTURE: 3 RECEIVERS SET SCENARIO

little worried about the Greg Jennings situation. 11 recievers catch balls... he isnt one of them.

has he regressed, is he being ignored, is it preseason and it doesnt really matter?

http://packers.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=670017

First-team offense finds rhythm: Packers show needed improvement against Seahawks on Saturday night

The Packers’ offense might have some life after all. With an improved performance from its first unit Saturday night against the Seahawks, questions that have been lingering since the start of training camp were at least partially answered. Questions like: Who is going to help out Donald Driver on the receiving end? Is anyone capable of carrying the load at running back? Can any tight end be a factor or even make a play? And, will the kicker be the best scoring option in the red zone?

The Packers have to feel better about some of their shortcomings if not yet completely satisfied. A scoring outburst highlighted by big plays from their defense and special teams was complemented by promising production on offense in a 48-13 preseason victory at rainy Lambeau Field. The Packers scored on three of their first four drives to put the Seahawks in a hole after their first unit offense failed to gain a first down the week before at Pittsburgh. The pathetic display against the Steelers hardly sent a signal that the offense would be just fine without Ahman Green or any impact free agent. But with four drives that gained 116 yards on 22 plays while Brett Favre was at the helm Saturday night, there is hope.

Perhaps most impressive was the first unit’s flow. It was clearly more decisive from the outset. Routinely the ball was snapped with 10 seconds remaining on the play clock and often Favre hit his first option. Head coach Mike McCarthy took notice saying, “I thought the first offense had a really good rhythm going.” Favre concurred, adding, “I think we executed better. Last week we didn’t execute very well… We had a better tempo.” Maybe the brightest spot over the past two weeks has been rookie receiver James Jones. He continued his outstanding preseason on Saturday night with two touchdown receptions – one a 16-yarder on a crossing route, and the other, a nifty snare of a low Aaron Rodgers pass for a seven-yard score. Jones has been the talk of camp as the most impressive of this year’s draft class.

“He’s everything that we thought he was when we drafted him,” said McCarthy. Jones has primarily taken repetitions at the flanker or “Z” position in the Packers’ offense, which is manned in the starting lineup by Donald Driver. Jones knows the split end position, too, but for now, he gives the Packers a much-needed weapon in three wide receiver sets. Though Jones is showing that he should be considered for a starting spot opposite Driver, the Packers will likely keep him at the “Z” position where he appears more comfortable and useful. “Getting that first game under your belt, I definitely came into this game a lot more relaxed and things like that,” said Jones, who added a tricky 32-yard sideline grab to his big night. “I’m always nervous because you never know what’s going to happen, but definitely getting that one NFL game under your belt and seeing how fast the game is and things like that, I was definitely more comfortable out there today.”

Like Jones, rookie running back Brandon Jackson is growing up quickly. He should be a starter when the Packers open the regular season, even if Vernand Morency is healthy and ready to go by Sept. 9. He has used his increased playing time in Morency’s absence to gain valuable experience. It showed against the Seahawks. Jackson picked up blitzes better and looked much more comfortable running the football. He finished an active first half with 54 yards on 13 carries and caught a well-timed screen pass for an 11-yard gain. Next to Driver, he gives the Packers energy on offense that they would otherwise be lacking.

The Packers also got tight end Bubba Franks involved early in the game throwing the ball his way at least four times. Franks, listed as a backup to Donald Lee on the team’s depth chart, has had a relatively unimpressive camp after arguably his worst year as a pro. Still, his inclusion Saturday night is a sign that he might get his starting job back soon. He really is the Packers’ best all-around option at tight end, as sad as that may seem to some. No one else who played Saturday night – Zac Alcorn, Clark Harris, Lee, or Joe Werner – made a statement.

One last sign of progress on offense against the Seahawks was production in the red zone. On eight trips inside the 20-yard line, the Packers scored six times. The first unit scored two touchdowns in three tries. Only a couple of interceptions thrown by backup quarterback Paul Thompson in the fourth quarter put a damper on a nearly flawless night in the category. With training camp winding down, the Packers’ offense still has a long way to go. There is little doubt about that. Their performance for one night, however, against a pretty good Seahawks’ defense is an encouraging step. Is it possible the best is yet to come?

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JOHNNIE GRAY'S REVIEW

http://packers.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=670026

Post-game review: Offense comes to life; defensive pressure impressive as is Blackmon on special teams.

It all got started when tight end Bubba Franks caught a couple passes and was greeted by a resounding applause by the Lambeau Field crowd of 69,761. Did you notice he was not wearing his shield? After dropping an easy catch last week, I defended him by saying he wasn’t comfortable with wearing a shield and that it was a distraction. During the opening series Franks continued to make plays and looked like the Bubba of old. He got first down depth, turned and used his wide body to shield off the defender and make the catch.

Just in one week’s time the offense seemed to have gotten its rhythm back. Both quarterbacks, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, looked very comfortable in the pocket while having plenty of time to throw the football. The offense was quick out the huddle allowing plenty of time for everyone to survey the defense and get ready for any adjustments. I don’t think there was one time when they were up against the clock. Going into his second year, coach Mike McCarthy and his staff seem to have a handle on how things should be run. There’s still a lot of work to be done, especially in the running game. One of the keys and, maybe the most important, is how well the backside is blocked. There was a lot of yardage left out on the field last night because of the backside pursuit. McCarthy attributed that to injuries and lack of depth at the fullback position. If Brandon Miree can’t get healthy, look for some healthier bodies to arrive in Green Bay this week.

I can’t give enough credit to the defensive line. I mentioned last week that it has been awhile since we had so much pressure being put on by the front four. Remember that’s five on four or maybe six on four depending on the running back or tight end staying in to block. Therefore, by having your four being double-teamed, that allows you the luxury of sending a linebacker and that the Packers did against Seattle. Backers Brady Poppinga, Nick Barnett and A. J. Hawk were flying to Seahawks quarterback Seneca Wallace. Safety Atari Bigby was able to get a sack because of the double teaming going on up front. Because there was so much pressure coming up the middle, his blocker (running back) checked inside to help then released and never saw him. General Manager Ted Thompson is determined to be able to field a solid run and pass defense without sacrificing a linebacker.

Do you remember number 29, a corner from Colorado? Mike McCoy. That’s who cornerback Will Blackmon reminds me of because of his quick feet, arms flailing, stop and go on a dime, and speed the burn. After a disappointing first year due to injuries, Blackmon has come back with a vengeance to prove that he belongs at this level. He showed promise before the injury with his aggressive bump and run and coverage skills. In the last two weeks his confidence level climbed up the ladder and if I could be a little critical, it would be that he gives up too much cushion (distance between he and the receiver) on the snap of the ball, but that will come with more playing time.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

i believe that a big stop on D would get that crowd at lambeau up just as much as a quick slant for a TD by Favre.... its been awhile since we could say the defense is intimidating people. itll be nice to be feared.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.railbirdcentral.com/2007/08/lambeau-leaps.html

Lambeau Leaps: My grades on the Packer's Lambeau Leaps.

Tracy White gets a Cow Chip. Worst. Leap. Ever. Like a weak handshake, he just kind of flopped in there.

Barnett gets a Blue Chip. His Leap was classic, as he used his hands to turn himself as he went in. That enabled him to get out when he wanted to get out.

James Jones gets a Red Chip. His first Leap certainly looked like an inaugural flight. Face First. No Exit Strategy. Rookie. He benefited from watching Barnett, though. On his second Leap he had a good jump and turn. He rates at 1 Cow Chip and 1 Blue Chip. Average it out, he learned and got better, not bad.

Carslyle Holiday looked like a rookie on his Leap. Just Awful. Heck, he barely made it into the stands. A big WR is supposed to get up better than that. Face first, can't get out...Cow Chip Leap.

Jackson--no grade. No Leap. He just ran back to the sideline. Kids today--no respect for tradition.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: WHOOPS!

Greg C. said:
TOPHAT said:
WHOOPS AWARD: RODGERS FOR 2 FUMBLES.

The first fumble was mostly Scott Wells' fault. He drilled a shotgun snap right into Rodgers' facemask, just as he did to Favre a couple times last season, and Rodgers couldn't handle it. It didn't help that the ball was wet. On the second fumble, the second string O-line's pass blocking did not hold up and Rodgers got hit hard in the pocket. He should've held onto the ball, but any QB will fumble some of those. It's stupid to give a "whoops award" to a player who played so well, and it makes me wonder if this person watched the game or just looked at the stat line.

If I had a whoops award, I would give it to Nick Collins for his missed tackle that turned a 10 yard gain into a 55 yard gain.

That's funny.

If it were Favre who committed 2 fumbles there'd be alot of posters jumping all over him now.

Just goes to show.

Rodgers isn't ready for the show.

Playing decently against 2nd and 3rd stringers does not mean he'll be good against the first stringers yet.

He's still got a ways to go. :soapbox:

Man, you are a one-note act, aren't you?

As a matter of fact, if Favre had made those same two fumbles I would've said the exact same thing, and so would most people. I even mentioned in my post that Scott Wells made a couple of bad snaps to Favre last year, just like he did to Rodgers.

There are a minority of fans (mostly fans of other teams, actually) who pick on Favre for every little mistake, but they are a minority. I'm glad Favre is not as thin-skinned as you, or he would've quit a long time ago.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, Wells is very good most of the time...

but sometimes those snaps...maybe he gets tired and tries to cheat or something and it costs him. definitely his biggest flaw.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a difference between a Bad Snap and a Fumble.

Perhaps the NFL should have official scorers like like Major League Baseball does. Officials who decide when an error is committed and who committed it.

The N.F.L. scores that as an Error- Center.

The N.F.L. Official stats show that an Error- W.R.

The Official stats show that as an Error- Q.B.

Interesting thought..... I think.

R.P.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:
TOPHAT said:

The first fumble was mostly Scott Wells' fault. He drilled a shotgun snap right into Rodgers' facemask, just as he did to Favre a couple times last season, and Rodgers couldn't handle it. It didn't help that the ball was wet. On the second fumble, the second string O-line's pass blocking did not hold up and Rodgers got hit hard in the pocket. He should've held onto the ball, but any QB will fumble some of those. It's stupid to give a "whoops award" to a player who played so well, and it makes me wonder if this person watched the game or just looked at the stat line.

If I had a whoops award, I would give it to Nick Collins for his missed tackle that turned a 10 yard gain into a 55 yard gain.

That's funny.

If it were Favre who committed 2 fumbles there'd be alot of posters jumping all over him now.

Just goes to show.

Playing decently against 2nd and 3rd stringers does not mean he'll be good against the first stringers yet.

As a matter of fact, if Favre had made those same two fumbles I would've said the exact same thing, and so would most people. I even mentioned in my post that Scott Wells made a couple of bad snaps to Favre last year, just like he did to Rodgers.

There are a minority of fans (mostly fans of other teams, actually) who pick on Favre for every little mistake, but they are a minority. I'm glad Favre is not as thin-skinned as you, or he would've quit a long time ago.

My point is that I believe there are a certain number of fans that are rooting against Favre in favor of putting in Rodgers and they are Packer fans, and reside on this forum and others like pc.com. I don't know, necessarily, if they are a minority, or what percentage of Packerdom they represent, but I believe you are mistaken if you think that there are no Packer fans who are against Favre. I've seen it.

You will see it throughout the season.

Just like in New York, there are a certain contingent of bad fans, imo, who are turning against Mariano Rivera of the Yankees, there are fans here who have turned on Favre, or are ready to at the drop of a hat.

If you don't see it then you are blind. :rubeyes:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first of all... i can think of one person who wants Favre out on this entire forum and he happens to be a big Cal and A-rodg fan.

second. ... i dont want Favre benched cut or to retire ever if he doesnt have to. But going into this season, he has had 2 lackluster seasons.... so you cant really call it "turning on him at the drop of a hat". IF someone did want to "turn" on Favre they would have two seasons to work on it.

and lastly just because you see a downturn in production from an aging star, and you question it.... doesnt make you a bad fan. it makes you a regular fan making observations and nothing more.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOMBARDI'S VIEW

http://packers.scout.com/2/670280.html

Lombardi blog: Random thoughts on preseaon win over Seahawks

I spent part of Sunday pouring over Saturday night's game. I had recorded it on my DVR and wanted to watch the game again to determine what or who was responsible for the severe thrashing the Packers gave to the Seahawks. I had to fight the kids off (they wanted to watch High School Musical 2), but I eventually got around to watching it again.

A couple stipulations up front: 1. The Seahawks are a concensus pick to make the playoffs, so it was not the Lions or Browns the Pack beat. 2. Both starting offensive tackles for Seattle did not play and consequently neither did quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. This takes some of the luster off the performance of the defense, but none of what the offense did. 3. It is preseason and it was raining. An emotional letdown on the Seahawks part is to be expected. They have to deal with that kind of weather all the time and to travel to Wisconsin and play in the rain and undermanned may have been too much for them to get up for.

Nevertheless, the Packers looked good in all three aspects of the game. The offense played well, the defense created turnovers, scored some points and stymied the Seahawks offense and the Special Teams, especially the return game and Will Blackmon had a big game. The cliche that came to mind was "firing on all pistons." Even Bubba Franks looked like he had some fresh legs, catching four passes. Brandon Jackson, while not the second coming of Gale Sayers, looked good enough for folks to quit worrying about when Vernand Morency may return. He hit the holes the line made for him, ran with purpose and had a productive night. James Jones again had a good showing. He sure likes those crossing routes. My only concern is too often I see the Packers keeping six, seven, and eight blockers in on pass plays, reducing the targets Brett Favre has running patterns. It keeps Favre upright, but limits his options and with multiple defenders around a receiver, well, Brett hates to throw it away, if you know what I mean.

On defense, the pressure exerted buy the front seven on poor Seneca Wallace was impressive. Granted the Seattle line was not at full strength, but the NFL is a place where injuries happen and nobody takes it easy on you when it does. I still saw some breakdowns in the secondary, specifically with the safeties. How Nick Collins missed that tackle early is beyond me. It looks like the cornerback position and the front seven can play in this league, but the safety positon may be a weak point for the second consecutive year. I think they can be better than last year, but teams will attack the middle of field on the Packers in 2007. Sacks and turnovers and touchdowns and big kick returns made for an excitable game. The weather tried to dampen our spirits, but the Green and Gold would not let it. As my old boss used to say, one does not a trend make, but this game was something to build on.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs Seahawks Preseason Game: Top Hat's Review

Summary:

In their 2nd preseason game, the Pack improved to 2-0 giving an old fashion whipping to the Seahawks. The offense, the defense, and the special teams showed improvements in the 48-13 rout of the Seahawks. The offense had new rhythm, better execution, & quick adjustments leading to an improved offensive performance. Also, they used multiple personnel alignments, the shotgun formation & quick huddles to catch the Seahawks off guard. Early, Favre lead the Pack downfield to three scores on a field goal by rookie K Crosby, on a one yard TD by rookie RB Jackson, and on an eight yard TD by rookie WR Jones. Rookie RB Jackson played an outstanding game with good run, decoy, & pass protection performances. TE Franks caught four crucial passes for 30 yards. Rookies WR Jones had three great catches with two for TDs. In the red zone offense, the Pack scored six of eight times. The return game improved lead by Blackmon. From the opening gun, the defense dominated getting three sacks with two causing scoring touchdowns on forced fumbles. The backups played a solid game. Back up safety Bigby had two sacks. Backup CB Bush had two interceptions. Backup LB Hodge had the most tackles & a sack. Overall, the dominating defense caused explosive turnovers: seven sacks, three interceptions, & three fumbles leading to 21 points.

Ratings:

1. Quarterbacks: Favre had better chemistry & sync with the offense team getting three early scores. QB Rodgers played good throwing 2 impressive TDs, but he had two fumbles caused by a high snap and by being blind sighted. QB Thompson played poorly throwing two interceptions. Grade: B+.
2. Running Backs: Rookie Jackson played better cutting quicker, running low, & using extra 2nd efforts for additional yards. He got 54 yards on 13 carries averaging 4.2 yards & one touchdown. White was unimpressive. Grade: B+
3. Fullbacks: Rookie Hall is raw, but he played a solid blocking & catching performance. Grade: B.
4. Wide Receivers: Driver, Jones, Martin, Holiday, & Clowney had good games. In the three wide receivers combo with Driver & Jennings, Jones is an impressive weapon. Yet, Jennings must improve in his sophomore year. Grade: A-.
5. Tight Ends: Franks rebounded getting four receptions. Alcorn & Harris had good completions for their cause. Grade: B.
6. Offensive Line: Overall, after a shaky start including a holding call, pressures, & blitzing penetrations, the offensive line improved opening up good holes & decent pass protection. Grade: B.
7. Defensive Line: DTs Williams, Pickett, & Harrell played strong games. The DEs had constant pressure with sacks by Jenkins, KGB, & Burdine. Grade: A.
8. Linebackers: Overall, the starters had a strong game with crucial plays, especially by Poppinga & Hawk who got a sack. Backup Hodge had the most tackles and a sack. Overall, the backups must improve, especially Bishop & White. Grade: A-.
9. Cornerbacks: Starters Woodson & Harris were impressive. Overall, the backups looked god with Bush having a solid game with two interceptions & Walker making solid defensive plays. Grade: A.
10. Safeties: They played a strong game. However, Collins missed a crucial tackle leading to a score. Backup Bigby played strong getting two blitzing sacks. Grade: A.
11. Kicker: The kicking competition heated up with Rayner & Rookie Crosby having equally strong games. Grade: A.
12. Punter: Ryan impressed averaging two punts for 55 yards. Grade: A.
13. Special Teams: Blackmon had solid returns on kicking returns & punting returns. Clowney & Bodiford had good returns. The coverage teams continued to look average needing a great deal of improvement. Grade: B.

Concerns:

1. DE Montgomery, WR Bodiford, T Thompson, & HB Powdrell suffered MCL injuries. They are lost for several weeks or more.
2. Five turnovers are an issue with two fumbles & nine penalties.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:
Loved the pictures. And the info. Thanks for sharing all of it Top Hat.

Thanks. I am pleased with the forum, especially the fans from the lands of the competition, Ireland, England and so on. Awesome!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
Fuzznuts said:
Greg C. said:
TOPHAT said:

That's funny.

Just goes to show.

My point is that I believe there are a certain number of fans that are rooting against Favre in favor of putting in Rodgers and they are Packer fans, and reside on this forum and others like pc.com. I don't know, necessarily, if they are a minority, or what percentage of Packerdom they represent, but I believe you are mistaken if you think that there are no Packer fans who are against Favre. I've seen it.

Just like in New York, there are a certain contingent of bad fans, imo, who are turning against Mariano Rivera of the Yankees, there are fans here who have turned on Favre, or are ready to at the drop of a hat.

Yes, I do see it, but as I said, I think those fans are a minority. I think the anti-Favre sentiment is most common among casual fans, especially fans who have a negative attitude about the team. Also, Packnic makes a good point, which is that it's natural to question the performance of a player who is getting up there in years and who has in fact shown some decline in the past couple years. At least part of his struggles, perhaps most of them, have been due to an inexperienced offense, and hopefully he'll get better support this year and have a great season.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:
Fuzznuts said:
Greg C. said:
TOPHAT said:

That's funny.

Just goes to show.

Yes, I do see it, but as I said, I think those fans are a minority. I think the anti-Favre sentiment is most common among casual fans, especially fans who have a negative attitude about the team. Also, Packnic makes a good point, which is that it's natural to question the performance of a player who is getting up there in years and who has in fact shown some decline in the past couple years. At least part of his struggles, perhaps most of them, have been due to an inexperienced offense, and hopefully he'll get better support this year and have a great season.

I agree, but I'm not so sure it's the minority, and the thing that isn't right, and is downright unfair, really, is for someone to say out of one side of their mouth that TT needs a break and some time to be judged as a GM because he inherited Sherman's mess of a team, and he's rebuilding his own, and out of the other side say that it's Favre's fault for the losing season and not putting up monster stats with that same team that sucked under Sherman and is rebuilding under Ted Thompson. :chalflag:

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do.

You're an unmitigated Ted Thompson supporter.

You live in Crazy-Land.

The sad part is, you're not smart enough to see the iron-clad logic in my post.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You do.

You're an unmitigated Ted Thompson supporter.

You live in Crazy-Land.

The sad part is, you're not smart enough to see the iron-clad logic in my post.
Seriously, think before you post.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What?

Are you looking for some posting tips?

Zero2Cool
Hall of Famer

Fuzznuts
Cheerleader

I'm sorry, were you saying something?

Members online