Packers vs Panthers: Previews & Predictions

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=685781

Preview: Green Bay Packers vs. Carolina Panthers

FIVE THINGS TO WATCH:

1.BACK FROM THE GRAVE: Ageless Vinny Testaverde, who turned 44 on Tuesday, figures to be the Panthers' starter Sunday. Testaverde, the No. 1 overall pick in 1987, began the year out of football, but was signed when injuries hit the Panthers. Testaverde's arm is still potent, but he can't move at all.

2.MISSING MORGAN: Panthers MLB Dan Morgan, who Green Bay nearly selected in 2001 before taking Jamal Reynolds, just can't stay healthy. When Morgan is healthy, the Panthers' linebackers are among football's best. Without him, the group is ordinary.

3.WELCOME BACK: Left guard Mike Wahle left Green Bay after signing a five-year, $28.5 million deal with the Panthers in March 2005. Meanwhile, the jury remains out on Daryn Colledge, the man trying to replace Wahle in Green Bay.

4.ONE-MAN SHOW: Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith hasn't had a decent sidekick since Muhammad was around in 2004. Smith's numbers are down slightly this season. But he remains one of football's greatest threats and Green Bay's Al Harris figures to have his hands full.

5.WHAT IF? Green Bay drafted CB Ahmad Carroll over Chris Gamble in 2004. Gamble has been up and down a bit during his four years, but he has 16 career interceptions. At worst, Gamble would be a fantastic nickel back in Green Bay today.

MATCHUPS:

QUARTERBACKS: Carolina's Vinny Testaverde was the No. 1 overall pick 20 years ago. The 44-year old Testaverde was out of football at the start of this season, but is now playing for his sixth team following the season-ending injury to Jake Delhomme (elbow). Testaverde still has a big arm, but he can't move at all. Green Bay's Brett Favre continues to play near an MVP level. ADVANTAGE: Packers.

RUNNING BACKS: When Carolina visited Green Bay in 2002, Panthers' color commentator Eugene Robinson told Packer Plus that DeShaun Foster was going to be one of the NFL's next great backs. It hasn't quite worked out that way, but Foster has had a solid season (153-588-2). Green Bay's Ryan Grant is an emerging player, eclipsing 100 yards in two of his last three games. ADVANTAGE: Panthers.

WIDE RECEIVERS: Carolina's 5-foot-9 Steve Smith ranks among the top five in football at his position. He's shifty at the line of scrimmage, tremendous in and out of breaks and fearless. The Panthers haven't been able to find Smith a solid sidekick, though, since Muhsin Muhammad's departure in 2004. Green Bay unleashed a five-wideout look against Minnesota that could be nightmarish for future opponents. ADVANTAGE: Packers.

OFFENSIVE LINE: The Panthers have two studs in RT Jordan Gross and LG Mike Wahle. C Justin Hartwig and RG Jeremy Bridges surprised by winning starting jobs this summer. LT Travelle Wharton is in his first year back from a knee injury. Green Bay's group had its best game of the season against Minnesota, allowing no sacks and helping the Packers run for a season-high 120 yards. ADVANTAGE: Panthers.

DEFENSIVE LINE: Carolina's front four was one of football's best throughout the decade, but has slipped slightly. DE Julius Peppers, in just his sixth NFL season, is already the Panthers' all-time leader in sacks. DE Mike Rucker, 32, has slowed and didn't notch his first sack of the year until last week. The tackle tandem of Kris Jenkins and 350-pound Maake Kemoeatu is fierce. Green Bay's Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila is having an impressive bounce-back season with 8½ sacks. ADVANTAGE: Packers.

LINEBACKERS: Carolina's marriage to Dan Morgan is likely over after the injury-prone linebacker went on injured reserve with an Achilles' injury. The Panthers still have first-round draft choices Thomas Davis and Jon Beason starting, along with former Packer Na'il Diggs. Green Bay's A.J. Hawk has come on in recent weeks. ADVANTAGE: Packers.

SECONDARY: Carolina's trio of cornerbacks - Ken Lucas, Chris Gamble and Richard Marshall - rival almost any in football. The safety tandem of Chris Harris and Deke Cooper can be exposed, though. Former Packers castoffs Marquand Manuel and Patrick Dendy are reserves. Green Bay's Charles Woodson continues to be "Mr. Big Play." ADVANTAGE: Packers.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Carolina's 38-year-old John Kasay continues going strong. He has hit 81.3% of his kicks after making a career-best 88.9% last season. Green Bay's Mason Crosby is having a strong rookie season (18 of 22, 81.8%), punter Jon Ryan (45.5 net, 39.4 gross) is improved. KEY ADVANTAGE: Packers.

COACHING: Carolina's John Fox inherited a 1-15 team in 2001 and had the Panthers in the Super Bowl two years later. Fox is 48-41 overall, but could be under some pressure if the Panthers miss the playoffs for the second consecutive season. Green Bay's Mike McCarthy is a front-runner for coach of the year. ADVANTAGE [edited]: Packers

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=262602

Packers Keys For Success

1. Double-team Steve Smith. Smith is the Panthers' only proven receiving threat, so naturally Green Bay will look to double-team the star wide receiver and take him out of the game. By rolling their coverage toward Smith, the Packers can bracket him with cornerback Al Harris or Charles Woodson playing up at the line and safeties Atari Bigby and Aaron Rouse helping over the top.

2. Spread the field with three- and four-wide receiver sets. Look for the Packers to spread the field with three or four wideouts so they can get all of their talented receivers on the field. The pass-catching trio of Driver, Jones and Jennings is causing tons of matchup problems for defenses, and wide receivers Ruvell Martin and Koren Robinson are solid. The Packers will be better able to afford using this wide-open set this week because they shouldn't need to keep an extra pass protector in the game against the Panthers' poor pass rush.

3. Pressure the quarterback. Regardless of which quarterback is under center for Carolina this week, the Packers will want to put pressure on him and force him out of the pocket. Green Bay probably won't need to call too many blitzes, because its defensive linemen have accounted for 24 of the team's 26 sacks this season...DEs AK and KGB will collapse the pocket off the edge and force the Panthers to keep King in as an extra blocker on most passing downs.

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate saying the Packers are going to crush somebody, but seriously I don't know how Carolina can keep this close. The sad thing is I have always had a soft spot for Vinny, but I can see him getting seriously hurt by a Green Bay defence that is getting better every week.

I am thinking this may be just as lopsided as the result last week. The good thing is Rodgers will probably get some more playing time.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFW PREVIEW

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PF...y/Games/2007/2.11+-+Carolina+at+Green+Bay.htm

Overview: The Packers have been one of this season’s surprise teams and are winners of four straight. The Panthers have dropped three in a row, including a tough home loss to the division-rival Falcons last week.

When the Panthers have the ball: Carolina doesn’t have many dependable weapons on offense, so look for them to try to get star WR Steve Smith the ball as often as possible, but he is getting no help from anyone else outside the numbers. Another problem is a banged-up QB corps, comprised of Vinny Testaverde (Achilles) and David Carr (concussion), that offers no stability. RBs DeShaun Foster and DeAngelo Williams are a solid one-two punch, and the Panthers are gaining 4.2 yards per carry. However, the Packers’ run “D” held rookie Adrian Peterson to 45 yards last week and knocked him out of the game, so things won’t be easy for the Panthers.

When the Packers have the ball: Brett Favre has been playing great all season and is coming off a 351-yard, three-TD day vs. Minnesota. Carolina’s pass rush has really struggled and will be in trouble if it can’t create pressure. RB Ryan Grant has been doing his part to revitalize a struggling ground game after gaining 119 yards against a tough Vikings run “D.” WRs Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and James Jones have accounted for 10 of Favre’s 16 TD passes this season.

Matchup to watch: Packers ORT Mark Tauscher vs. Panthers DLE Julius Peppers. The Panthers’ front four has underachieved, so if Peppers can create a push against Tauscher, one of the NFL’s top pass-blocking tackles, it could cause Favre to force throws and turn the ball over.

BY the numbers: Last week, Favre became the second player in NFL history to reach 60,000 passing yards. His 60,257 yards trails only Dan Marino’s 61,361.

Key injuries: For the Panthers, check the status of WR Keary Colbert (foot) and QBs Carr and Testaverde. For the Packers, FS Nick Collins (knee) remains out. Check the status of OT Mark Tauscher (ankle), DE Cullen Jenkins (knee), LB Tracy White (ankle), TE Bubba Franks (knee) and DT Justin Harrell (ankle).

:USA: :eek:mg: :yeah: :thumbsup: :beer: :pals:

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK.

Packers will win this one like they did vs the Vickies. BIG!

Packers are finding post season form and are on a roll. The game against the Vikings showed their tenacity and confidence on BOTH sides of the ball.

The "Lets win today" mentality is going to be too much for the Panthers.

Packers 27 Panthers 13

Go Packers
15-1 SUPERBOWL!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK.

Packers will win this one like they did vs the Vickies. BIG!

Packers are finding post season form and are on a roll. The game against the Vikings showed their tenacity and confidence on BOTH sides of the ball.

The "Lets win today" mentality is going to be too much for the Panthers.

Packers 27 Panthers 13

Go Packers
15-1 SUPERBOWL!

27-13 is big?

Nah, the game won't be that close. Panthers can't get 13 points against us. I'm saying more like 31-3.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard Steve Smith has missed his second day of practice so maybe he wont play on Sunday which would be good news.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard Steve Smith has missed his second day of practice so maybe he wont play on Sunday which would be good news.

I just saw that as well. On the other hand they said both Carr and Vinnie practiced and the coach would not say who is getting the nod.

Is it just me or have we run up against an unusually high number of coaches who will not name their starter at QB the week we play?

It seems like nearly every week we can't get this out of t the opposing HC. At this rate Detroit will be saying they aren't sure if Kitna's starting against us as next week unravels.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think that they're just being cautious with him.

Cause he's, you know, their ONLY healthy offensive threat.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the place where nicknames are born.

Death Squad!

And what is the single most effective/dangerous weapon on a Death Squad? No, my friends, not an AK-47. An AK-74. That's right. It's faster, more reliable, and just plain sexier.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about...

AK-4..?

I like that better..
:wink:

And he does it again.

Fuzzy, I admire your consistency. If a thread isn't talking about Favre, gosh darnit, someone has to step in. Might as well be you. Good stuff, man.

Vinny vs. Favre will be battle of the old men. It's gonna be very onesided, but funny. I bet they do a bunch of combined age graphics, or "When vinny made his debut, Favre was ____" and stuff. It will entertain me as I drink beer.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Death Squad!

And what is the single most effective/dangerous weapon on a Death Squad? No, my friends, not an AK-47. An AK-74. That's right. It's faster, more reliable, and just plain sexier.

Agreed.

Oh, wait. Are we talking about our favorite firearms or our favorite defensive linemen? ;)

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SPORTS NETWORK PREVIEW

http://www.sportsnetwork.com

WHEN THE PACKERS HAVE THE BALL

Favre (2757 passing yards, 16 TD, 8 INT) took over the NFL lead in passing yards last week, on a day in which he completed 33-of-46 passes for 351 yards with three touchdowns against the Vikings. Top wideouts Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, and James Jones contributed 63, 63, and 62 yards respectively, while Ruvell Martin scored a pair of touchdowns and prodigal son Koren Robinson posted five catches for 45 yards in his best game since returning. Green Bay is now No. 1 in the league in passing offense (298.8 yards per game), but remains last in rushing offense (77.4 yards per game), despite Ryan Grant's career- high 119-yard performance against Minnesota last week. Grant (305 rushing yards, 1 TD, 17 receptions) also had five catches out of the backfield for the Packers.

A high level of defensive play has mostly been absent for the Panthers this year, though the group's middle-of-the-road total defense rank of 13th (321.7 yards per game) might suggest otherwise. End Julius Peppers (28 tackles, 1.5 sacks), part of a group that has posted a league-low- tying nine sacks on the year, has been a negative symbol for a team that has not made a wealth of big plays. Fellow end Mike Rucker (32 tackles) did manage a sack of the Falcons' Joey Harrington last Sunday, the first of the year for the veteran. The Panthers have not stopped the run particularly well this season either, ranking in a tie for 18th in NFL rushing defense. Middle linebacker Jon Beason (72 tackles) and tackle Kris Jenkins (18 tackles, 1 sack) are the team's most notable run-stoppers. Safety Deke Cooper (38 tackles) leads the Panthers in interceptions with three.

OVERALL ANALYSIS

A young Green Bay team seems destined to have a bad week at some point, but this will not be that week. The Panthers simply don't have the offensive firepower to put together consistent drives against an underrated Packers defense, and they don't make enough plays on the other side of the ball to challenge Favre. Carolina will win again at some point, and might stay in the NFC South race until late December, but this matchup simply doesn't suit them. Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Packers 26, Panthers 12

:pop: :pop: :pop:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
tromadz said:

Death Squad!

Agreed.

Oh, wait. Are we talking about our favorite firearms or our favorite defensive linemen? ;)

I didn't realize that there was a difference?...... :D

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On offense, the Packers should be fine if they do what they did last week. Spread 'em out and attack the edges. Screw the zone blocking system. The defense should be able to handle Carolina's offense, and with the lack of mobility at the QB position, this will be an opportunity for them to get some sacks. As long as it doesn't turn into one of those screwy games full of penalties and turnovers, I think the Packers will win handily.

Packers 31 Panthers 13

Sounds a little greedy, and I will be happy with any kind of win. But this is the time of year when the better NFL teams separate themselves from the rest, and the Packers are one of those teams.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.bratsandbeer.com/posts/2007/11/614

Alright, maybe the Carolina Panthers are looking more like little kittens this season and maybe Green Bay’s match-up this week isn’t the most exciting one on the schedule, but it could be argued this is the biggest trap game of the year so far. The Panthers come into Lambeau Field with a three-game losing streak, but they are still 4-5 on the year with wins over St. Louis, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Arizona. All of those were road wins and in each one Carolina held its opponent to 20 points or less. The Panthers defense ranks 13th in the league for points allowed and yards given up and 14th against the pass.

The Packers probably don’t have to do anything heroic to win this game and advance to (gasp!) 9-1, but they can’t look past Carolina and still need to play solid football. The Panthers offensive line has given up 21 sacks this season, so Aaron Kampman and KGB should be able to advance their totals by one or two, and if the run defense plays like it did last week they should be able to keep the Panthers under wraps most of the game.

On offense, I think we all know the drill: Quick, short passes interrupted by the occasional run and deep bomb. Aaron at Cheesehead TV makes a salient point that in the last few games where the running game has gotten going, most of the yards have come in the first half. I suspect this might be a game where the coaches really try to get something going in the second half in preparation for the long haul ahead.

I won’t get into the jokes about QBs using walkers and showing “Matlock” on the scoreboard, but it is interesting to note that this game will feature the oldest pair of starting quarterbacks in NFL history: Favre is 38-years-old and Testaverde is 44.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/11/16/32711/212

Preview: Carolina at Green Bay
By Brandon
Posted on Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 03:27:11 AM EDT

My first thought about Carolina was that the Packers are going to destroy them. The Packers just destroyed Minnesota at home while Carolina is coming off a last minute loss at home to Joey Harrington and his Atlanta Falcons. The game is at Lambeau, Carolina is dealing with a lot of injuries at quarterback, and their star wide receiver Steve Smith is hurting....
However, since Carolina is 4-5 overall and haven't won at home since November 2006 it means that they are 4-1 on the road. Their second best receiver behind Smith is 2nd year TE Jeff King, and tight ends have killed the Packers in coverage. Plus this has the makings of a classic let down game with Detroit and Dallas coming up after Carolina. This game will be a lot closer than many people might expect. The Packers will have to avoid turnovers and make Carolina's struggling offense work the length of the field for all their points while keeping Carolina's defense guessing by getting all the receivers involved in the game with the occassional running play.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that this will be closer than people think, however I too would love to see a full game rout by GB. What are the chances that we get such a lead that we get to sit Brett for the fourth quarter?

Members online

Latest posts