OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Kampman has oblique injury

Defensive end Aaron Kampman didn't practice today because of an oblique muscle injury, coach Mike McCarthy said. Kampman was added to the injury report Friday with what was then called a rib injury, but he played in Sunday's opener. The obliques are located near the ribs, so this likely is the same injury he reported then. Kampman's status for this week's game against the New York Giants isn't clear. He's expected to be listed in the "did not participate" category on the initial injury report, which is due out this afternoon. Guard Jason Spitz (calf) and end Michael Montgomery (knee) also didn't practice. Safety Nick Collins missed practice because of a "positive" personal issue, McCarthy said.

All other players were limited, according to McCarthy: CB Al Harris (elbow), WR Carlyle Holiday (knee), WR Greg Jennings (hamstring), T Tony Moll (neck), RB Vernand Morency (knee) and S Aaron Rouse (hamstring).

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not knowing the status of Manning this is a tough one but I see 21 points from us as the Giants pass protection is poor and I think our O will be much improved. I say our D holds them to 14 either way so:

Green Bay 21
NYG 14

Lets Go Pack !!!

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Manning plays I will take the Pack in a close one. I don't think he will play, so I voted the Pack by more than a Touchdown.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB 24

NYG 16

I think that Eli will play, then get hurt. Plax will score at least once. But that D is gonna eat the QB's alive, and the run defense will be good. I can't see the Giants scoring more than one TD.

But this is a great game for the offense to get tracked.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
Pack - 52
Giants - 3

I'll be there, schnockered to the gills!!

Yeah 52-3 isn't going to happen i would love it too but it ain't going too.

I know it won't happen myself, I was just referring to the only other game I went to back in 05, when we beat the Saints 52-3.

Real prediction...
Pack - 27
Giants - 10

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings is back and your going to be in trouble,
Hey now, hey now, the Pack is back.
Kampman, Jolly, and Jenkins can rumble.
Favre adds two touchdowns to his total,
He could have had more but he did what he was told to,
Bigby is wild and will hit you in the head,
But don't throw at the two with the dreads,
The offensive line are really no slackers,
But then again neither are the LINEBACKERS!
Give their starting QB a pre-game snack,
hey now, hey now, the Pack is back.
The last thing he eats will come from a sack,
hey now, hey now, the Pack is back.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wednesday injury report

Safety Nick Collins was absent for a "good" personal reason, and DE Aaron Kampman said he'll be fine for Sunday. Giants quarterback Eli Manning didn't participate outside a few handoffs and shovel passes:

PACKERS

Out

DE Michael Montgomery (knee)

Did not participate

S Nick Collins (personal)
DE Aaron Kampman (rib)
G Jason Spitz (calf)

Limited participation

CB Al Harris (right elbow)
WR Carlyle Holiday (knee)
WR Greg Jennings (hamstring)
OT Tony Moll (neck)
RB Vernand Morency (knee)
S Aaron Rouse (hamstring)

GIANTS

Out

FB Robert Douglas (knee)
RB Brandon Jacobs (knee)
WR David Tyree (wrist)

Did not participate

CB Kevin Dockery (ankle)
QB Eli Manning (right shoulder)
PK Lawrence Tynes (right calf)
DE Osi Umenyiora (knee)

Limited participation

LB Gerris Wilkinson (patella)

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict a packer RB will get 25 carries. The back that gets the carries will be the guy that makes something happen on Sunday. I had one poster laugh when i said this, but if VM stays hurt, I feel Wynn will push B-Jack for a starting job.

as much as people complain about the O lines poor performance, and it was poor, the ZBS and the passing game have to show something. I predict we see Jones and GJ running more crossing routes. I predict DD & Ruvell Martin each have big pass receptions of at least 20 yards.

I predict #4 has two TD passes 1 to DD 1 to B-Jack

I predict Wynn has 70 yards rushing

I predict our defense scores a TD and jenkins and Kampman have sacks, and collins has a int.

Pack 24 Giants 3

Don't be shy DH. Climb out on the limb a little more. You won't fall.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vegas line isn't giving the Giants or us any points, so it's an even bet. I'm thinking of putting a little cheese on the Packers.

They wont, with Eli being up in the air.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ehhh another slow defensive game i believe. I think we may get a offensive touchdown this time though. Its gonna be about Giants 20 Packers 17. I believe its gonna take about 4-5 weeks before our offense starts to gell.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ehhh another slow defensive game i believe. I think we may get a offensive touchdown this time though. Its gonna be about Giants 20 Packers 17. I believe its gonna take about 4-5 weeks before our offense starts to gell.

Giants 20? The Iggles scored 13 on us, and they were healthy.

I'm leaning toward the 52-3 prediction.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm picking the Pack by 14 expecting Eli won't play. The only chance the Giants have then is if they grease Lorenzin up like they use to do the pigs at the carnivals and then sent out people to try to tackle them

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packers vs giants preview+ expert picks

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/gamecenter/preview/NFL_20070916_GB@NYG

The New York Giants' offense erupted in their season opener behind Eli Manning, but a right shoulder injury may cause their starting quarterback to miss their Week 2 game.

The Green Bay Packers offense, meanwhile, sputtered in their season opener, but quarterback Brett Favre expects a better effort their next time out.

The Giants host the Packers on Sunday, and they may not know until kickoff if Manning will be able to take the field.

New York racked up 438 yards in last Sunday night's 45-35 loss to Dallas, but Manning was unable to go out for the Giants' final series after bruising his shoulder earlier in the quarter.

Manning had an MRI on Monday that revealed a contusion to the acromioclavicular joint, near the collarbone.

On Wednesday, Manning took some snaps, made a few handoffs and tossed lightly to test his shoulder, but did not practice. Coach Tom Coughlin gave no indication whether he would play this game.

"I am encouraged by his progress," Coughlin said. "He is less sore than he was the day before, that kind of thing. The swelling is way down. So I'm encouraged by that.

"We'll take everything into consideration, realize that he wants to play and is extremely competitive, and at the right time, we'll make the proper call. We'll give him every opportunity."

Coughlin refused to set a deadline for Manning, who completed 28-of-41 passes for 312 yards and four touchdowns with an interception in the loss to the Cowboys.

Manning connected with Plaxico Burress, who missed the entire preseason with back and ankle injuries, eight times for 144 yards and three TDs Sunday.

Backup quarterback Jared Lorenzen took snaps with the first team Wednesday, and would make his first career start Sunday if Manning can't play.

"If I were a betting man I would say he would play," Lorenzen said of Manning, who returned and threw a touchdown pass after he was hurt in the fourth quarter Sunday. "He's a tough guy. He showed a lot of grit out there last week."

Manning wasn't the only New York player injured in the season opener, as sack leader Osi Umenyiora and new starting running back Brandon Jacobs both left due to knee injuries.

Umenyiora, a former Pro Bowl defensive end, irritated the cartilage in his left knee in the first quarter, and is day-to-day. Jacobs, who took over for the retired Tiki Barber, sprained his right knee, and will be sidelined up to a month.

Manning has started the last 42 regular season and playoff games for New York since being named the team's starter on Nov. 21, 2004.

Favre has started 238 consecutive games - a NFL record by a quarterback - but was just 23-of-42 for 206 yards with an interception and four sacks in Sunday's 16-13 season-opening win over Philadelphia.

The Packers got a touchdown off a muffed punt and three field goals by rookie Mason Crosby, including the 42-yard winner with 2 seconds remaining. They had just 10 first downs, and only one of Crosby's field goals - a 37-yarder to tie the score at 13 in the third quarter - came after a sustained drive.

"I expect us to score," Favre said. "I expect to lead this team down and score every time, I really do. That's not just talking. I really believe that. To not score at all is beyond disappointing, and I take that personally, as I should."

Green Bay had just 46 rushing yards, tying Cleveland for the league low in Week 1.

"We're going to do a better job," said rookie running back Brandon Jackson, who had 40 yards on 15 carries. "Coach is going to get on us and we're going to go out and perform better."

The Packers, who opened last season 1-4 before rallying to finish 8-8, have not started a season with back-to-back wins since opening 3-0 in 2001.

The Giants have not opened a season with consecutive losses since starting 0-3 in 1996.

Green Bay was 5-3 on the road last season, and has won its last two games against the Giants at the Meadowlands.

In the last meeting between these teams on Oct. 3, 2004, the Giants won 14-7 at Lambeau Field. Favre threw for 110 yards, a touchdown and an interception, but was taken out of the game in the third quarter after suffering a concussion on the first drive of the second half.

All-time against New York, Favre is 3-2, throwing for 1,112 yards, seven TDs and four interceptions.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: packers vs giants preview+ expert picks

Not one word about the Packers Death Squad....

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gattocheese said:

Giants 20? The Iggles scored 13 on us, and they were healthy.

I'm leaning toward the 52-3 prediction.

Yeah the Eagles scored 13 on us, but they would of scored more if they didnt botch the game up. Our defense is really strong, but the eagles were able to take it to the house against us and i bet if they would have not botched the kick returns we would be in a different situation. I mean a win is a win, but we cant expect the same kind of mess ups from the Giants. We are gonna have to improve on offense, i just dont see us doing a night and day difference in one week.

jaybirdknows

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vegas line isn't giving the Giants or us any points, so it's an even bet. I'm thinking of putting a little cheese on the Packers.

The NL (No Line) posted by Vegas simply means they are not taking bets on this game. No doubt this is due to Manning's status being up in the air.

As far as the game, this one is difficult for me to read. It is a great opportunity for the Packers, that's for sure. I have to think GB defense will be the difference. My predictions:

GB defense will force 3 turnovers.
GB defense will score one touchdown.
Crosby will kick two field goals.
Favre will throw 2 TD passes.
Green Bay wins 27-16

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSOnline Insider: Previewing Giants

http://www.jsonline.com

Packers' Next Opponent: Giants feel the pain. Injuries to three key starters will work in Packers' favor

If quarterback Eli Manning were healthy, the New York Giants might be favored to defeat the Green Bay Packers Sunday in East Rutherford, N.J. If the shoulder injury that Manning suffered Sunday night in a 45-35 loss to the Dallas Cowboys sidelines him, opposing scouts and coaches give the Giants almost no chance. That's because the gap between Manning and backup Jared Lorenzen is immense. "If they had a good defense, yes," one personnel director said. "But, no. The only way, and it happens every so often where there's a new quarterback, is the opposing team doesn't know how to prepare for him and he may get away with some early scores." Manning was poised and razor-sharp against the Cowboys after compiling a passer rating of 107.1 in exhibition games. "He can be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. I think he's finally ready to do it," one scout said. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Monday that Manning will miss at least a month with a slight shoulder separation. Manning maintains it's a bruise. The Giants' plan is for Manning to throw lightly Friday or Saturday, and then make the call.

Unfortunately for the Giants, Manning wasn't the only top player hurt in Dallas. Pass-rushing end Osi Umenyiora, their best player on defense, and starting running back Brandon Jacobs are out indefinitely with knee injuries. If Manning sits, it could be argued that the Giants will be without their two most indispensable players and three of their top 12. "I'd say the Packers are going to win," an opposing assistant coach said. "I don't know what their game plan is going to be but, gosh, they've got to run it with somebody (Derrick Ward) you and I never heard of. Plus, I don't think they're a great team to begin with. "Now the disadvantage for the Packers is they're playing in New York. But sometimes playing on the road when you're struggling can be a good thing. Because they'll be booing those guys by the second quarter if they don't perform. That's just New York." An assistant for another recent Giants' foe said the Packers would be wise to be wary. "You know the old saying: 'The most dangerous animal is the wounded one?'" the coach said. "When you feel you're embarrassed you take a lot of pride and step it up a little bit. You don't want to get booed at home. I think they'll be a different team this week."

OFFENSE

SCHEME

Gilbride, the quarterbacks coach under Tom Coughlin from 2004-'06, has roots back to Houston in the early 1990s when he ran the run-and-shoot. Gilbride is allowed to call the plays but Coughlin sets the philosophy. Coughlin was influenced heavily by his time (1988-'90) on Bill Parcells' staff in New York. He wants to run two-back sets, angle block in the run game and throw deep off play-action.

RECEIVERS

Split end Burress (6 feet 5 1/2 inches, 232 pounds) has incredible talent and showed it in Dallas. His routes aren't always precise but he adjusts well to bad balls, can be almost unstoppable on fades and has deceiving speed. Flanker Toomer (6-3, 203) is 33 and 10 months removed from reconstructive knee surgery. He is much more team-oriented than Burress, still can get open and is playing well. He offers minimal vertical dimension but knows how to push off and is hard to cover. Smith (6-0, 195) doesn't have great speed, either, but his hands, quick release and know-how have been a plus. Jeremy Shockey (6-4, 251) can't run 40 yards in 4.59 as he did in March 2002, but is still very fast for a tight end and is a huge receiving threat. He gets by as a blocker.

OFFENSIVE LINE

This is a veteran, healthy, cohesive group without a weak link. Its forte is drive blocking. Chris Snee (6-2 1/2 , 317), a four-year starter, is among the top four or five guards in the NFC. He has a mean streak, is powerful straight ahead and athletic enough to operate in space. LG Rich Seubert (6-3, 310) and C Shaun O'Hara (6-2, 303) are similar. Both entered the league as free agents, both are tenacious and both play smart. RT Kareem McKenzie (6-5 1/2, 327) is even more physically dominating than Snee. Although McKenzie's pass blocking is just OK, Coughlin knows when he needs tough yards he can run behind him and Snee. LT David Diehl (6-5 1/2, 319) had to move from guard when Luke Petitgout was cut in February. More of a finesse blocker, Diehl probably is the fifth-best starter but has held up surprisingly well.

QUARTERBACKS

Manning (6-4 1/2, 225), just 26, is 20-20 as a starter. He's placid, which has been mistaken at times for timidity. All summer long he has been more efficient, poised, accurate and effective. He's more mobile than Peyton, his brother, and their arms are comparable. In the past, he seems to have pressed, leading to poor decisions. The left-handed Lorenzen (6-3 1/2 , 285) entered the NFL as a Giants' free agent from Kentucky in '04. In three exhibitions seasons, he owns a passer rating of 70.7. Lorenzen is strong-armed and fairly accurate, and he's nimble given his roly-poly body. Despite a score of 28 on the Wonderlic intelligence test, he still doesn't play smart and his ball security is questionable. Former Raven Anthony Wright (6-1, 211), 8-11 as a starter with a career rating of 66.9, is No. 3.

RUNNING BACKS

Replacing the pile-driving Jacobs will be Ward (5-11, 230), the Jets' seventh-round pick from Ottawa (Kan.) in '04. He ripped off 89 yards in Dallas, hitting holes faster than Jacobs could. Ward, who has 4.55 speed, can handle the blitz and split wide as a receiver. Reuben Droughns (5-11, 220) will play both as an undersized fullback and to relieve Ward. Droughns, 29, is tough as an old boot. Rookie TE Michael Matthews (6-4, 270) also lines up at fullback but isn't a true lead blocker.

DEFENSE

SCHEME

New coordinator Steve Spagnuolo is coming off a dreadful debut in Dallas. First, the Cowboys' massive line exposed the Giants' soft middle. When Spagnuolo, a disciple of Philadelphia's Jim Johnson, decided to start blitzing, Tony Romo had receivers running wide-open off play-action against loose man-to-man coverage. It's a base 4-3 scheme built around the concept of "quarters" coverage.

DEFENSIVE LINE

The loss of RE Osi Umenyiora, a feared pass rusher, means Justin Tuck (6-5, 274) will start and LE Michael Strahan (6-4, 255) will have to play almost the entire game after ending his 38-day holdout Sept. 4. Tuck, a third-round pick in '05, blossomed into starter-caliber this summer. He's smart, explosive and never quits. Strahan, 35, is in the twilight of his Hall of Fame career. He reported 10 pounds lighter than last season and then was almost invisible in Dallas. The starting DTs, Fred Robbins (6-3 1/2, 317) and Barry Cofield (6-4, 306), were mauled by the Cowboys. Robbins, a Viking from 2000-'03, is surprisingly athletic and can pressure the passer. He just isn't stout. Cofield, a fourth-round pick in '06, isn't thick enough or quick enough to accomplish much of anything. Depth is so bad that aging Russell Davis (6-3 1/2, 306), who was signed Monday after being cut by Seattle, will be used Sunday to halt the run.

LINEBACKERS

Mathias Kiwanuka (6-5 1/2, 265), the 32nd pick in '06, started nine games at DE as a rookie and was impressive. The Giants tried to make him a strong-side LB since spring and the results aren't good. Kiwanuka is hard to handle when moving forward but looks lost in coverage. MLB Antonio Pierce (6-1, 238) got $7 million guaranteed to leave Washington in March 2005. He's instinctive and a decent leader, but he's also small with average speed and doesn't take on blocks well. WLB Kawika Mitchell (6-1, 253) was Kansas City's starting MLB for 3 1/2 years before taking a $200,000 signing bonus from New York in March. He might be more athletic than Pierce but isn't as alert, takes bad angles and surely isn't the answer.

SECONDARY

The only worthwhile starter is FS Gibril Wilson (6-0, 209). A fifth-round pick in '04, Wilson is fast and tough, probably better in the box than deep, and can make big plays. The Giants gave the SS job of steady Will Demps to James Butler (6-1 1/2, 215), a third-year free agent with one start before '07. He is a great testing athlete but doesn't play fast, isn't physical at all and misses too many tackles. Butler was horrible in Dallas, as were CBs R.W. McQuarters (5-9 1/2, 194) and Corey Webster (6-0, 202). McQuarters, 30, played OK in '06 but seems to have lost what speed and quickness he had left. Webster, a second-round pick in '05, isn't bad in coverage but doesn't want to hit anybody. As if one aging CB wasn't enough, it's possible former Dolphin great Sam Madison, 33, might be sufficiently recovered from a hamstring injury to play. He probably has less left than McQuarters. The only talented CB is Aaron Ross (6-0 1/2, 197), the 20th pick in '07 who held up well as the nickel back. He's more of a ballhawk than a technician.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Lawrence Tynes, obtained from Kansas City in May for a seventh-round pick, is a bottom-of-the-barrel kicker. Jeff Feagles, 41, once was the NFL's finest directional punter but isn't anymore. His skills have diminished. The Giants split the snapping duties between two position players and might come to regret it. Rookie KR Ahmad Bradshaw runs low and hard behind rugged middle-wedge blocking. McQuarters is just average on punt returns.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts