Packers vs Giants Game: Previews & Predictions

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com Scout Inc. 1st Take

Why To Watch

While the Giants may have played well enough offensively to win on the road, they still came up short in Week 1 while the Packers came away with a home win despite not hitting on all cylinders. It appears that the Giants will be without at least some of their starters for the contest on Sunday, possibly including QB Eli Manning. Whenever Brett Favre plays on the road in 2007, many local fans will watch a bit more intently as it may be the last time the future Hall of Famer laces 'em up in that town. This should be an intriguing battle as both coaches have their backs against the wall and need to get to the postseason.

When the Packers have the ball

Rushing: The Green Bay ground attack is short-handed with Vernand Morency's health in question. The Packers couldn't get much going with Brandon Jackson carrying the load and averaged less than three yards per carry. The Green Bay offensive line is just average and didn't create many creases for its ballcarriers but the Giants defensive front seven gave up 124 rushing yards in Week 1. Look for Packers head coach Mike McCarthy to try and establish a ground attack as he knows that Favre needs help moving the chains. First year defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will be without the services of defensive end Osi Umenyiora but will look to get the Giants on track against Green Bay's below-average rushing attack. Look for Spagnuolo to play lots of base and nickel defensive schemes as the Giants need to stymie Favre and the Packers' air attack. The Giants have several holes on defense, but won't put an extra player in the box to defend the Packers' run game.

Passing: The Packers' passing game was inconsistent in Week 1, but Favre made enough plays to move the chains and keep them in the game. Favre spread the ball to seven different targets at all levels of the field. Veteran wide receiver Donald Driver was Favre's favorite target, but he was able to hit his tight ends (Donald Lee and Bubba Franks) with short crossing patterns and option routes. The Giants only generated one sack in their opener and may need to use more pressure packages in passing situations without Umenyiora, who led Giants in sacks in 2006. Look for the Packers to use a similar approach to attacking the Giants that the Cowboys took hitting different receivers down the middle of the field. The threat of an effective ground attack is important as linebackers don't get out in underneath coverage when offenses are moving the ball well running the ball. Green Bay will need at least the threat of a ground attack to compliment its passing attack.

When the Giants have the ball

Rushing: The Giants will be without the services of power back Brandon Jacobs (injured knee) for several weeks. Replacement Derrick Ward played well and showed speed and burst running against a stout Cowboys front seven. Head coach Tom Coughlin and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride like to control the game by establishing a hard-nosed ground attack, but they may have to set up the run with the pass in Week 2. The Packers are very stout against the run out of their base 4-3 front. Gilbride will likely split the load between versatile back Reuben Droughns and Ward. New York may be able to use more perimeter run plays with Ward than they would have with Jacobs, but it likes to attack between the tackles most often. Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders rarely uses zone-run blitzes or eight men in the box to defend opponents' running game, but he is likely to mix in some interior stunts to spill runners to the sideline. Sanders will likely concentrate on stopping the somewhat potent Giants air attack with New York being shorthanded on the ground.

Passing: New York's QB situation is in question with Manning likely out with a shoulder injury. He played very well (314 yards and four TDs) before coming out of the game. The Giants have three competent targets with Amani Toomer, Plaxico Burress and tight end Jeremy Shockey. Look for Gilbride to move Shockey around and get mismatches on linebackers along with getting the ball often to Burress, who is tough to cover with his size advantage. Sanders likes to play an "In your face" scheme with lots of press man coverage on the outside, but may mix it up more with off zone and combo coverage. If Manning can't go, fourth-year player Jared Lorenzen will take the reins. Lorenzen is a bit hefty (285 pounds) but has a strong arm and is surprisingly athletic in the pocket. The Giants offensive attack won't change much. Lorenzen is capable of stretching the field with his arm and won't be afraid of pulling the ball down and running the ball as he is a load to bring down.

Special Teams

The Packers' special teams are very solid. They feature Jon Ryan as their punter, who has a strong leg and boasts consistent hang time. Sixth-round draft choice Mason Crosby hit the game-winner in the opener and received the game ball after going 3 for 3. Charles Woodson handles the punt return duties. He's sure-handed, but not explosive. Tramon Williams shows good vision hitting a crease on kickoff returns. The Giants' 20-year veteran punter Jeff Feagles has a strong leg, but is somewhat inconsistent with his hang time. Lawrence Tynes is the Giants' kicker. He shows a strong leg and has been steady. R.W. McQuarters is solid fielding punts but doesn't have much big-play ability. Ahmad Bradshaw returns kicks and while he runs hard to find a crease, he's not always sure-handed securing the ball.

:pop: :pop:

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers don't pound the crap out of a depleted Giants team, I'll be a bit peeved.
GB 31, NY 13

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How Strong is the Giants D-line? That will determine how well the Packer Offense plays... THAT will determine how BIG a margin we win by.

Packers 27, Giants 16

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with Umenyiora healthy, and Strahan in playing shape, they're pretty good. With Strahan showing up to practice last week and Umenyiora out, they're average at best.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Plex had a great game last week... Shockey was okay... so they will score some points... but not enough...

Packers 24
Giants 13

Favre throws for 2 and Wynn gets his first rushing TD..

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toomer and Buress will have trouble getting open vs Harris & Woodson.
They dont have a running game. Our key to the game is not letting Shockey get off i believe. If we can shut him down, we will dominate them defensively.

Offensively, i have no idea how we will match up vs the giants or anyone else. We need 20 points to win i think. I dont think we will run the ball vs the giants so hopefully Brett can work something back there like last week.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Okay who is the weasel that voted for the Packer to lose by more than a TD????

Yooo Vikey...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yooo Vikey...

Lare, Dhpackr?

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yooo Vikey...

If I say it was me are you going to use the paddle on me? :oops: JK

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict a packer RB will get 25 carries. The back that gets the carries will be the guy that makes something happen on Sunday. I had one poster laugh when i said this, but if VM stays hurt, I feel Wynn will push B-Jack for a starting job.

as much as people complain about the O lines poor performance, and it was poor, the ZBS and the passing game have to show something. I predict we see Jones and GJ running more crossing routes. I predict DD & Ruvell Martin each have big pass receptions of at least 20 yards.

I predict #4 has two TD passes 1 to DD 1 to B-Jack

I predict Wynn has 70 yards rushing

I predict our defense scores a TD and jenkins and Kampman have sacks, and collins has a int.

Pack 24 Giants 3

Pack93z

Reaction score
I predict a packer RB will get 25 carries. The back that gets the carries will be the guy that makes something happen on Sunday. I had one poster laugh when i said this, but if VM stays hurt, I feel Wynn will push B-Jack for a starting job.

as much as people complain about the O lines poor performance, and it was poor, the ZBS and the passing game have to show something. I predict we see Jones and GJ running more crossing routes. I predict DD & Ruvell Martin each have big pass receptions of at least 20 yards.

I predict #4 has two TD passes 1 to DD 1 to B-Jack

I predict Wynn has 70 yards rushing

I predict our defense scores a TD and jenkins and Kampman have sacks, and collins has a int.

Pack 24 Giants 3

Great post... keep that type of posting comming..

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2007/09/12/wednesday-practice-report.aspx

Wednesday practice report

The Packers came out of the season-opening win against the Philadelphia Eagles a little banged up. Here's a rundown of what we saw in the time we were able to view practice:

S Nick Collins was not on the field. He didn't appear to be hurt against the Eagles. We'll keep an eye on this;
DE Aaron Kampman (ribs) did not participate in practice fully;
RB Jason Spitz was not wearing pads. Junius Coston was at right guard;
RB Vernand Morency did a lot of watching while all the other running backs when through walk throughs. RB Ryan Grant also didn't seem to be participating;
WR Greg Jennings (hamstring) was back;
CB Al Harris (right elbow) took part with a massive brace on his right arm.

Members online

Latest posts