Packers vs Falcons: Studs n Duds: Whats Tanking Edition

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs- The usual suspects: Devante Adams, Aaron Jones.
Special mention to the O-line - Down to Lucas Patrick and, at one point, Alex Light, they did not become a huge negative factor in this game.
Also worth a mention - Mason Crosby and Bashaud Breeland - solid kicking, huge pick-six.
Claymaker, nice game. Bahktiari, solid for the most part.
Special teams-adequate.

Duds: Replay officials. 'Nuff said.
Lack of a pass rush, still.
Tight end position - largely invisible.

On to Chicago, to face a much better team than the hapless dirty birds.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't watched the 4th quarter yet but I thought the 1st challenge should have been ours while I thought the 2nd one, he scraped his foot on the grass b4 going out of bounds. I thought Aaron threw the ball better. Not so low all the time. Great pic by Breeland. He played tighter and broke on the ball when we were blitzing. I like that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Haven't watched the 4th quarter yet but I thought the 1st challenge should have been ours while I thought the 2nd one, he scraped his foot on the grass b4 going out of bounds. I thought Aaron threw the ball better. Not so low all the time. Great pic by Breeland. He played tighter and broke on the ball when we were blitzing. I like that.
That first non-reversal is about as bad as I have seen. Clear fumble....check. But not enough video evidence to determine who recovered it? Let's see, only Packer players on the pile surrounding the ball and a Packer player comes out of the pile with the ball....did they need to see him making a sandwich while holding the ball?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
are you talking about the philly game?
LOL.....my bad.....yup...that was the one. I actually watched 3 games yesterday and saw too many "blown" calls to keep them all straight. But yeah, the first one, "catch by Julio" was a bad non-reversal.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had no problem 4th Q play calling .....we needed to burn the clock and were 3 TDs..

Agreed.

When you're up by 3-4 scores in the fourth quarter, the worst thing you can do is throw three incomplete passes and then punt. No need to give the other team additional possessions by stopping the clock for them.

H

HardRightEdge

Agreed.

When you're up by 3-4 scores in the fourth quarter, the worst thing you can do is throw three incomplete passes and then punt. No need to give the other team additional possessions by stopping the clock for them.
99 out of 100 or 999 out of 1000 coaches, not sure which, run the ball in that situation ot take time off the clock. There's one in every crowd, though, perhaps a guy with a personal grudge leading him to doing somthing stupid.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Saw philbin partying last night after his win.. dude was LIT

Attachments

• BCCBA708-8465-4F4E-83E5-4409D9433D06.jpeg
    BCCBA708-8465-4F4E-83E5-4409D9433D06.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 83

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Major Dud is Philbin for those idiotic challenges and his reasoning behind them.

They were both reasonable challenges, especially the first one. They just flat got that one wrong and the second one was border line.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On to Chicago, to face a much better team than the hapless dirty birds.

You forget, Rodgers still holds the deed to Soldier Field safely stashed away in a safe deposit box somewhere. He owns that place. Sometimes I think he likes whipping the Bears in Chicago more than he does winning the Super Bowl. Banged up or not, our boys will be way up for this game. The Bears will have to bring their A game across the board.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

And if we had run the ball 3 times in a row you'd be complaining that he playcalling was predictable and everyone knew they would be running.:rolleyes:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cobb is healthy and so is Rodgers, they seem to like Bear hunting together.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. When the game started they were using the short passes and working their way down the field and got a touchdown. Then what does Rodgers do? He reverts back to the ole Rodgers, holds on to the ball looking for the big plays and gets no where. Yeah, he had some good throws but if they had continued to use the short passing game, I don't think he would have gotten sacked as much as he did.

Moving forward I don't think Philbin is the guy. And someone should have told him that he needs to hold the call sheet in front of his mouth so the opposition could not read his lips.

I thought that the defense was a stud. The offense....I didn't see much difference than what we have been seeing.

I'm glad they won, but if that had been a better team the outcome may have been different. JMO.
I cannot say we agree. I do not detect sarcasm in that comment, but I guess I cannot rule it out.

Not using the short passing had nothing to do with the sacks in this game. Jailbreaks and rapidly collapsing pockets were the order of the day. These were not 2.5+ seconds, looking for the long ball, sacks.

If you're not going to let Rodgers be Rodgers, turning him into a short throw pocket passer, you're bound to be disappointed. Put a defense out there with 2-high safeties and slow LBs and you'll get what you want. We've seen that before. But it doesn't come around very often. And he's going to pass up the open short option if he likes what he sees downfield. That's the way it has always been and its not something you should expect to change.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot say we agree. I do not detect sarcasm in that comment, but I guess I cannot rule it out.

Not using the short passing had nothing to do with the sacks in this game. Jailbreaks and rapidly collapsing pockets were the order of the day. These were not 2.5+ seconds, looking for the long ball, sacks.

If you're not going to let Rodgers be Rodgers, turning him into a short throw pocket passer, you're bound to be disappointed. Put a defense out there with 2-high safeties and slow LBs and you'll get what you want. We've seen that before. But it doesn't come around very often. And he's going to pass up the open short option if he likes what he sees downfield. That's the way it has always been and its not something you should expect to change.
That is fine... but when it’s not working... he should be smart enough to adapt to that as well. I think we all know that if Rodgers is anything ...it is very intelligent.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Point taken.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Considering how hurt this team is...They started 7 offensive starters (I am defining “starters” as players that were designated starters week 1 that did not lose their place in the depth chart for any other reason beside injury) and 5 defensive starters. So considering they are running with 50% of their “best” players and significant playing time was given to ~14 players under the age of 25, I would consider yesterday a massive win.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were both reasonable challenges, especially the first one. They just flat got that one wrong and the second one was border line.
If it had been a playoff game, I'd have probably been yelling at the TV calling Philbin an idiot for throwing that second challenge.
But in this situation, virtually eliminated, with the team in a bad slump and needing something, anything to kick it back into gear again, I kind of liked it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forget, Rodgers still holds the deed to Soldier Field safely stashed away in a safe deposit box somewhere. He owns that place. Sometimes I think he likes whipping the Bears in Chicago more than he does winning the Super Bowl. Banged up or not, our boys will be way up for this game. The Bears will have to bring their A game across the board.

I hope you're right.

However, as they say in market, past performance is not a guarantee of future returns...….

Green Bay used to own Detroit as well.

Pulling for an upset, but not betting on it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right.

However, as they say in market, past performance is not a guarantee of future returns...….

Green Bay used to own Detroit as well.

Pulling for an upset, but not betting on it.

Well, there's been a couple other times I felt like we were underdogs going there and we pummeled them. I think a win is on tap in a fairly close one. I'll say 27-24 Packers.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
Stud: Devante (an honorable mention MM), classy move talking to players one last time. Clay
Dud: bad challenges
Still not much of pass rush
Sacks

Dud, bad challenges? Okay, I can give you the second one, but the first challenge I have to say "bad officiating".

Members online

Latest posts