Packers vs Chiefs: Previews & Predictions

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=262620

Packers Keys For Success

1. Keep riding Ryan Grant. The Packers have struggled to get their ground game going this season; both Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, who was put on injured reserve this week, failing to step up when given the starting job. Green Bay have finally have found a capable starter in Grant, who was acquired from the Giants at the end of the preseason. Against the Broncos last Monday night, Grant became the Packers' first 100-yard rusher since Ahman Green accomplished the feat last December. Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin needs to get Grant going on the ground to keep the Chiefs' defense honest.

2. Go deep. The Packers have run a West Coast offense, which is predicated on short passes, for Favre's entire career. But against the Chiefs' secondary, Green Bay will have a great chance to be successful with the deep passing game. At this point in their careers, veteran cornerbacks Patrick Surtain and Ty Law have both lost a step; their ability to make plays has more to do with playing in a cover-2 defense than with their speed. Look for Favre to throw to wide receivers Greg Jennings and James Jones on vertical routes to open up the middle of the field for wide receiver Donald Driver and tight end Donald Lee.

3. Stay basic on defense. The Chiefs have a very basic philosophy on offense, so the Packers should focus on playing fundamentally sound defense and not blitz much. Green bay needs to make quarterback Damon Huard **** and dunk his way down the field by playing gap-conscious defense with athletic linebackers A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett and Brady Poppinga. Safeties Nick Collins and Atari Bigby need to keep the ball in front of them and simply make the sure tackle while taking care not to give up big plays. That will be especially important for Bigby, who needs to bounce back from a rough outing against the Broncos.

What Chiefs May Do:

1. Get Larry Johnson involved early. For the Chiefs to beat the Packers and make a playoff push, coach Herm Edwards needs Johnson to be a major player on offense. Johnson is still trying to regain the dominant form he showed last season, but he appeared to be getting closer heading into Kansas City's Week 8 bye. Edwards must stick with the run this week, especially because quarterback Damon Huard hasn't been lighting the world on fire. By running Johnson up the middle behind center Casey Wiegmann and guards Brian Waters and John Welbourn, Kansas City will take pressure off Huard and set up play-action passes for later in the game. The Packers' defense is susceptible to play action.

2. Use Samie Parker in the slot. Packers cornerback Al Harris is playing at a high level and should be able to shut down rookie wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, so the Chiefs will need another wide receiver to step up. The Chiefs could create a favorable matchup by using their three-wide receiver package and lining up Parker in the slot, where he'd likely be covered by second-year nickel cornerback Jarrett Bush. Parker has the speed advantage over Bush and could have success on crossing routes and deep "ins" this week. As Parker draws defenders away on those routes, tight end Tony Gonzalez can take advantage by slipping into the vacated area.

3. Blitz all game long. The Packers have a load of weapons at wide receiver but their running game is a work in progress, and they are still a pass-first, run-second offense. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham needs to get defensive ends Jared Allen and Tamba Hali in as many one-on-one pass-rushing matchups as possible by bringing safeties Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard on blitzes. By forcing Favre's hand, Law and Surtain may get easy interceptions.

Prediction: Pack 24 Chiefs 14

http://www.sportsnetwork.com

WHEN THE PACKERS HAVE THE BALL

Recent whispers about whether Favre (2046 passing yards, 11 TD, 6 INT) had lost some miles per hour off the fastball were completely silenced on Monday night, when the Mississippi native completed 21-of-27 passes for 331 yards and two long touchdowns. Favre's 142.4 passer rating was his best in a single game since posting a 151.4 in a win at Chicago on the final day of the 2004 season, and he also enabled young receivers Jennings (20 receptions, 4 TD) and James Jones (26 receptions, 2 TD) to turn in 100-yard receiving nights. Top wideout Donald Driver (39 receptions, 2 TD) was limited to three catches totaling 28 yards in the win. Green Bay also received a rare boost from the running game, with first-year-pro Ryan Grant (131 rushing yards, 8 receptions) going for 104 yards on 22 carries and becoming the first Packer of the post-Ahman Green era to reach the century mark. Grant will start this week in place of DeShawn Wynn, who was lost for the season with a shoulder injury against Denver. Despite the rushing effort versus the Broncos, Green Bay continues to rank last among NFL ground games (71.3 yards per game).

The story of Kansas City's season to date has been a defense that has kept the team in games by allowing just 16.1 points per game, the sixth-lowest total in the league. Stars on that side of the ball have included defensive end Jared Allen (26 tackles), who has returned with force from a two-game suspension to start the season by notching eight sacks in his last five games. The linebacking corps, featuring veterans Donnie Edwards (53 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT) and Napoleon Harris (48 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 INT) along with the up-and-coming Derrick Johnson (40 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT), has also been outstanding. Matching up with Green Bay's dangerous receiving corps on Sunday will be veteran corners Ty Law (23 tackles, 1 INT) and Patrick Surtain (26 tackles, 1 INT), who have joined with blossoming safeties Jarrad Page (32 tackles, 2 INT) and Bernard Pollard (31 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT) on the NFL's 11th-best pass defense.

CHIEFS STRATEGIES:

The Chiefs offense is a long way removed from its proficiency during the **** Vermeil era, but has made some significant strides during its recent run of success. Running back Larry Johnson (506 rushing yards, 2 TD, 27 receptions) has rebounded from a slow start to eclipse the 100-yard mark in three of his past four games, and has also scored touchdowns in his last two outings after being held out of the end zone in his first five. Quarterback Damon Huard (1470 passing yards, 6 TD, 7 INT) has a mediocre 79.8 passer rating as Week 9 begins, but has experienced some chemistry with tight end Tony Gonzalez (42 receptions, 3 TD) and rookie wide receiver Dwayne Bowe (29 receptions, 3 TD). Bowe had three receptions for a game-high 84 yards against Oakland last time out, while Gonzalez contributed four catches for 66 yards. The offense will get a boost this week if veteran wideout Eddie Kennison, who has been bothered by a hamstring injury for much of the season, can make his return. Kennison is regarded as probable. The Chiefs' offensive line has been its biggest liability this season, allowing 20 sacks through its first seven games.

A Green Bay defense that some considered suspect heading into the Denver game did a bang-up job against the Broncos' vaunted running game, holding them to 88 rushing yards on 24 carries and keeping Denver out of the end zone at two key junctures of the game. Barnett, who also leads the Pack in interceptions, had a game-high nine tackles in the win. Defensive end Aaron Kampman (35 tackles, 8 sacks) also had a huge night, turning in three sacks to boost his team-leading total. The secondary, led by cornerbacks Al Harris (17 tackles) and Charles Woodson (35 tackles, 1 INT) has done a decent job all year, though safeties Atari Bigby (52 tackles, 1 INT) and Nick Collins (27 tackles) will be trying to bounce back from a game in which both were flagged for costly penalties. Green Bay is 14th in NFL total defense (325 yards per game).

OVERALL ANALYSIS:

You have to give major credit to Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards, who has his team in first place when some expected it to be thoroughly uncompetitive this season. That said, Kansas City's lack of offensive punch is going to come back to bite it more weeks than not. The Chiefs defense is good, but it isn't Steel Curtain good, and isn't going to keep Favre and the Packer offense down for four quarters. Look for more offensive frustration to eventually sink Kansas City in this one.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Packers 20, Chiefs 12

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/11/1/22530/0273

Questions About Kansas City

1. I expected the Chiefs defense to struggle this season, but instead they've turned into the best unit on the team. Is the improvement due to the addition of free agent linebackers Napoleon Harris and Donnie Edwards: Those two guys are certainly part of the equation but perhaps the biggest part of the equation is our defensive line. Jared Allen has eight sacks in only five games this year. Our run stuffing defensive tackles are doing exactly that. This defense has been improving the last couple of years and this year its culminated into what I believe will end up being close to a top five defense when 2007 is over. Along with Edwards and Harris, don't forget about Derrick Johnson playing linebacker as well. For the first four games, Johnson was clearly outplaying Edwards and Harris and has only quieted over the last few weeks. He isn't a big name yet but watch out.

2. RIP: running game. The Chiefs have lost some great offensive lineman over the last couple of seasons. Was the retirement of guard Will Shields the final blow? What can be done to get Larry Johnson back on track: The Chiefs thought they could get by one more year with this sub par offensive line. Clearly, this isn't the case. Yes, the retirement of the two future Hall of Famers Willie Roaf and Will Shields hurts. But many people forget that Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson had FB Tony Richardson blocking for them for years as well. Today, Tony is in Minnesota and the Chiefs have not replaced him. Instead, we are using an H-back type in Kris Wilson who isn't even close to a true fullback. Also, our blocking tight end Jason Dunn is in his 12th season and has lost many steps if the first seven games are any indication of where his skills currently lie. The only way the Chiefs are going to get Larry Johnson back on track this season, with the current personnel we have on the offensive line, is to make teams fear the passing attack. Its not difficult to challenge the Chiefs offense. Stack as many guys in the box as possible and make Damon Huard beat you with the passing game. To be fair to Larry Johnson, he hasn't been able to do much because of teams focusing almost 100% on him.

3. Why should the Packers fear rookie wide receiver Dwayne Bowe: Dwayne is big, fast and has an amazing ability to find the ball . You know that guy on the playground who always caught whatever pass was thrown to him, regardless of how bad a pass? That's D-Bo. He's already the best wide receiver the Chiefs had in years and with teams being forced to cover (or double) Tony Gonzalez, Bowe has that many more plays where the defense isn't necessarily focused on him.

5. The Packers pass defense has been steadily getting worse over the last three games, while the run defense has been improving each week. Do you think the Chiefs will take notice and open up the passing game early and often, or will Herm Edwards stubbornly stick with running Larry Johnson straight up the middle as his first option: Herm will do what Herm does. He'll stick with his overall offensive strategy and run the ball, at least in the first half. The Chiefs have been opening up the game in the second half by passing more but I don't expect our strategy to change much against the Packers. It simply isn't our head coach's style to do that.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/nflpreview?gameId=271104012

Scouts Inc.: The Packers and Chiefs square off in an NFC/AFC showdown. Both teams need to keep winning, while the Chiefs are battling the Chargers and the Packers are trying to stay ahead of the Lions within their divisional races. Chiefs' offensive coordinator Mike Solari will continue to rely on RB Larry Johnson to take pressure off QB Damon Huard, while setting up the play-action attack. Defensive coordinator Sanders will load up the box with multiple eight-man fronts, while placing his corners on an island in man-to-man situations. Chiefs' defensive coordinator Gunter Cunningham will rely on his four-man rush, while being very physical on the backend when dropping seven into coverage. The Packers will continue to rely on their short-controlled passing attack to set-up the run. QB Brett Favre can ill-afford to make mistakes against a Chiefs' defense that thrives on creating turnovers.

:USA: :agree: :yeah: :eek:mg: :thumbsup: :pop:

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2. Use Samie Parker in the slot. Packers cornerback Al Harris is playing at a high level and should be able to shut down rookie wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, so the Chiefs will need another wide receiver to step up. The Chiefs could create a favorable matchup by using their three-wide receiver package and lining up Parker in the slot, where he'd likely be covered by second-year nickel cornerback Jarrett Bush. Parker has the speed advantage over Bush and could have success on crossing routes and deep "ins" this week. As Parker draws defenders away on those routes, tight end Tony Gonzalez can take advantage by slipping into the vacated area.

i dont like the thought of jarret bush in on all the action..sorry to say but hes been a huge dissapoinment since handed the nickel job

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think talent wise the Pack are better but this is a trap game. Chiefs are coming off a bye and GB on a short week. If GB goes into Arrowhead and beats the Chiefs on short rest when KC has had 2 weeks to prepare, it will be a HUGE win.

If they win this game then I don't think anyone can think they're not as every bit as good as Dallas.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nobody mentions the fact that the Chiefs are coming off their bye and we played last Monday. I think that will be as important a factor as anything.

EDIT: except Porky. I hate it when i leave a thread open for a long time, then make a post, then notice that 17 people have commented on the thing that comment on. it's embarrassing.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is my take....

We limit LJ in the running game and force the Chiefs to pass.. this will be a week to have us as a fanasty D.. about 3 picks and a couple sacks..

On Offense.. we have a second decent day running the ball, play action the run first Safeties on the chiefs and we hit them deep a couple of times.

27 - 9 Packers...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i dont like the thought of jarret bush in on all the action..sorry to say but hes been a huge dissapoinment since handed the nickel job

Bush has played well these past couple weeks. He's barely had his name mentioned. I'm not sure if he always plays the slot anyway.

It would be interesting to see the Chiefs try this strategy, but it doesn't sound like Herman Edwards football to me, so I don't expect to see much of it.

packattack92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite frankly, I think we will dominate.

But then again, it's at Arrowhead.

Packers - 34
Chiefs - 13

i agree Arrowhead is never an easy place to play. If I remember correctly in 2003 we were up by 17 going into the 4th quarter only to lose in overtime. Play smart, no penalties, and a good defensive performance = victory for the pack.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:

Packers - 34
Chiefs - 13

i agree Arrowhead is never an easy place to play. If I remember correctly in 2003 we were up by 17 going into the 4th quarter only to lose in overtime. Play smart, no penalties, and a good defensive performance = victory for the pack.

great post

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Danreb said:

Packers - 34
Chiefs - 13

great post

chiefs have best home record since 1990, arrowhead is tough, were coming off a short week......with that being said, we should kick thier ***

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/11/3/3139/79761

Preview: Green Bay at Kansas City

Kansas City's defense is performing similar to San Diego's, with an average run defense and above average pass defense due in large part to their pass rush. Against San Diego, Mike McCarthy decided to run the ball a whopping 13 times and attempt 45 passes. That would indicate he intends to call a lot of pass plays on Sunday, but the situation in the backfield has changed a lot since that San Diego game. Since then, he has used DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Grant as his 1st and 2nd down big backs, while Vernand Morency is his 3rd down back. With Wynn done for the season, it looks like Grant is the number one back. That's what McCarthy said in his last press conference, but he also said that Brandon Jackson is now his number 2 "situational" (I assume he means 3rd down back) despite not playing in weeks, and Morency is the number 3 back playing mostly on special teams. Against San Diego, the Packers were able to call a lot of pass plays because LT Chad Clifton did a very good job of shutting their top pass rusher down, LB Shawne Merriman. If the Packers can stop DE Jared Allen, who's playing lights out this season, then a pass happy game plan is possible. McCarthy has been more willing to call for a run since the week 3 game against San Diego, so I would expect more than 13 run plays called against San Diego, but the Packers will probably still pass more than run.

On defense, its all about stopping TE Tony Gonzalez. He's not the same player he was a few seasons ago, but tight ends Tony Scheffler, Chris Cooley, Desmond Clark, and Greg Olson have all caught TDs against Green Bay over the last three games. Tight ends have killed the Packers for the past few seasons and 2007 is no exception. Rookie WR Dwyane Bowe has had a great 2007 season too. The Packers aren't being killed by wide receivers this season, but a number of them have had good games against the Packers this season and there is no reason to expect Bowe can't easily get 5 catches for 70 yards. Some running backs have had some good receiving games against the Packers, but RB Larry Johnson isn't doing much damage as a runner or receiver this season, averaging a bad 3.6 yards/carry and an awful 5.3 yards/reception. Although Kansas City's pass offense is much better than their terrible run offense, Chris over at Arrowhead Pride said he expects Herm Edwards to continue to run the ball first and foremost, at least for the first half. With the Packers run defense playing well, expect a poor offense output by Kansas City in the first half until they get Gonzalez and Bowe going in the second half.

Except for week 2 against the Giants, every Packer game this season has been decided by seven points or less, so it's going to be a close game. Kansas City has only lost when held to 10 points or less and the Packers have not held any team under 10 points this season, so that doesn't look good for the Packers. Still, the Chiefs appear similar to Washington, a team the Packers beat three weeks ago in an ugly punt filled game. I'll say Packers 14, Chiefs 10.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://gnb.scout.com/2/697553.html

PackerReport.com staff predictions. Most on pundit panel feel Packers will continue to roll on the road

Fox, Correspondent
Sunday's game: Packers 24, Chiefs 13
Comment: The Green Bay Packers have been road warriors under Mike McCarthy going 3-0 in 2007 and 8-3 overall. Winning in Kansas City won't be easy as the Chiefs have the best home record in the NFL since 1990, and also are 21-4 against NFC opponents at Arrowhead Stadium since 1995. McCarthy coached in Kansas City for several years and should once again have the Packers prepared. Turnovers will be the key again as the Packers will try to mirror what they did in Denver by running and passing equally. The Packers defense will have to minimize Larry Johnson's production and try and force Damon Huard into making mistakes. The game will also feature the first meeting of kickers Mason Crosby and Dave Rayner, who had a spirited battle in training camp to become the Green Bay place-kicker this year.

Steve Lawrence, Correspondent
Sunday's game: Chiefs 20, Packers 17
Comment: Green Bay is the better team, but the Packers are coming off a short week while the Chiefs are at home and coming off a bye. Plus, the Packers haven't shown they can cover a top-flight tight end like Tony Gonzalez. Still, a split in these two road games is good work.

Tyler Dunne, Correspondent/Rookie pundit
Sunday's game: Packers 20, Chiefs 9
Comment: A letdown seems inevitable. Green Bay comes into Sunday off of a physically and emotionally exhausting overtime win, while Kansas City conveniently hosts this game fresh off of a bye week. Mike McCarthy wouldn't have it any other way. McCarthy is 8-3 on the road as head coach. Green Bay's defense should be able to make Kansas City one-dimensional. Damon Huard is the worst QB they've faced all season. Points will be hard to come by against the Chiefs' Arrowhead-inspired 11th ranked defense, but Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett and company will have a field day and the Packers will be 7-1 by 4 p.m. (CT) Sunday.

W. Keith Roerdink, Correspondent
Sunday's game: Green Bay 27, Kansas City 20
Comment: There's really no reason not to pick Green Bay given its success on the road under Mike McCarthy. If they can keep the false start penalties and other mental mistakes to a minimum, the Packers should improve to 7-1. The Chiefs are the only NFL team Brett Favre has never beaten, and this year could be the year. Look for Ryan Grant to get plenty of opportunities to duplicate last week's 104-yard rushing performance, though KC's run defense isn't nearly as bad as Denver's. Favre should also have success spreading the ball around, but he better not hold onto it for too long. The Chiefs rank fifth in the league with 21 sacks, including eight from Jared Allen.

Jay Royle, Publisher
Sunday's game: Packers 27, Chiefs 17
Comment: Per my brother, Jeff Royle, as we’re down here in KC ready to root on the Pack, he says Pack, 24-17. Big brother knows best right?

Harry Sydney, Correspondent
Sunday's game: Packers 24, Chiefs 17
Comment: I have to go with the Packers because they are on a roll and I see no reason for them to lose. I think the way Brett is playing, and now they might have found a running game, they just might be too much for the Chiefs. I also expect the defense to finally have that game I've been waiting for!!!!.

Todd Korth, Managing Editor
Sunday's game: Packers 23, Chiefs 16
Comment: The Packers are playing with a lot of confidence and making enough big plays to win games this season, especially on the road. Brett Favre is doing a great job of leading the offense. The defense has bent but is not breaking down completely. Special teams will probably add Koren Robinson to the mix. This all adds up to another victory for the Packers.

Tom Andrews, Correspondent
Sunday's game: Packers 27, Chiefs 17
Comment: Conventional wisdom would probably say that Kansas City should win this game. They've won four of their last 5 games. Quarterback Damon Huard is playing well. The Chiefs are well-rested, coming off their bye week, while the Packers have a short week after posting an emotional overtime win at Denver. KC also has the home field advantage at Arrowhead Stadium, a venue with an atmosphere often compared to that of Lambeau Field. But I still like the Packers' chances because this season has been anything but conventional. Brett Favre can still be the difference-maker and the young Green Bay defense still doesn't know how good it really can be. Running back Ryan Grant made the most of his opportunity against Denver and injected some life into a comatose running game. Coach Mike McCarthy has his troops believing and if they keep their focus, it should be enough to beat the Chiefs.

Matt Tevsh, Correspondent
Sunday's game: Chiefs 14, Packers 13
Comment: The two biggest challenges this week for the Packers will be the Arrowhead advantage and Tony Gonzalez. The Chiefs are always tough at home and the Packers history with tight ends hasn't been the best this year. After a dramatic win in Denver, a dramatic loss in K.C. I see a Gonzalez touchdown late as the difference.

Doug Ritchay, Correspondent
Sunday's game: Kansas City 24, Packers 20
Comment: After last week's thrilling overtime win at Denver (I did predict a Packers overtime win), most assume the Packers will ride that momentum into Sunday at Kansas City. However, the Chiefs are improving after a slow start, and tight ends have killed the Packers this season. Kansas City has a pretty good one named Tony Gonzalez and if he can get loose against the Packers like so many other tight ends have, Monday's win at Denver will be quickly forgotten. The key is Gonzalez and the Packers have no match up for this guy. Chiefs win, and Brett Favre remains winless against the Chiefs, the only team he has never beaten.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
interesting......in my opinion this could be toughest test of the year, with the crowd, short week, if we win this game we are in great shape

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also agree the short week could be harmful but the way we won Monday may actually gave us a boost which could be an equalizer. I'm also a little scared of Gonzalez but I think Favre will ride the hot hand on a few more big plays. Also see Huard due for a rough game again.
GB-24
KC17

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not expecting to win this game. Prepare to be disappointed.
We had people say that every week.
Geez.............we are 6-1, and still people are just waiting for a collapse.
You can wait for that.............I'll wait for the win.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot wait until we beat the chiefs tomorrow and shut up the critics once and for all. THIS IS OUR DESTINY!!!!!!

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had a bye week ... we were rusty last week or else im sure if we didnt have a bye week earlier we would destroy the broncos defense wise ...

Now defense got his game back ... and will be ready against chiefs ... im curious whos going to cover gonzalez ??? woodson ??? well we need to stop gonzalez number 1 factore he must be stopped ... yes johnson too but gonzalez can hurt us for first down play actions killer for a defense ...

GO Packs Go im confident we can pull this win off this week

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=681875

Preview: Green Bay Packers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

FIVE THINGS TO WATCH

STILL ELITE: Tight end Tony Gonzalez forces defenses to account for him on every play. "You need a really athletic safety to play him," an executive in personnel for a recent Chiefs' opponent said. "You're not going to have a linebacker who can cover him. Or you have to come up with something scheme-wise. He's not quite what he was but he's still very good." Gonzalez' average game this season is six catches for 72 yards. His best game was 9 for 102 and two touchdowns against Cincinnati on Oct. 14. "He's just a big guy and he uses basketball moves when he comes in and pushes off," an opposing defensive coach said. "What we did was match our best cover safety on him. For the most part, we were OK. But he got us on the back side of a slot play. He gave a little shake move on our safety and beat him back to the inside. You've got to be ready to play against Tony because he plays physical."

MAJOR TEST: Defensive end Jared Allen had so much success (2 1/2 sacks, 3 pressures) against the Bengals' Levi Jones that the elite left tackle was pulled from the game. "Really quick off the ball," one scout said. "Runs really well. Good effort guy. Understands how to rush the passer. Lacks some strength. Not to take anything away from (Aaron) Kampman, but I'd take Allen. Better athlete." Allen and Kampman are tied with eight sacks. "I'd take Aaron," another scout said. "I think Aaron is better against the run. But Allen does play strong and he's more explosive than Kampman." The Chiefs need Allen's pressure to relieve the stress on a weak secondary. "They rely on getting the ball out quick because of Allen," one coach said. "He's relentless. If you've got a weak tackle he'll find it and take advantage. They do a good job of moving him around trying to get the matchups, so you can't necessarily always give the guy help."

OLD STANDBY: Damon Huard will be making merely his 22nd start in a career that began as a free agent with Cincinnati in 1996. "Smart guy," one scout said. "Good feel where to go with the ball. Really limited ability. Not a very good arm. Not very good mobility. He looks like a fighter in the 13th round who is one punch away from retiring." Huard's record as a starter, however, is 14-7. "To me, he's a hot-and-cold guy," an opposing defensive coach said. "If you let him get into a rhythm he can hurt you." Said another scout: "He's similar to Kelly Holcomb but he won't try to force it as much. He is more accurate on the shorter routes than deep."

SCRAP HEAP: The Chiefs, who haven't had a Pro Bowl cornerback since James Hasty in 1999, are in their second season starting Ty Law and Patrick Surtain, a pair of declining former Pro Bowlers. "I'll bet you he's high 4.7s now," one scout said, estimating Law's time in the 40-yard dash. "Surtain was high 4.4s, but I'd bet he in the 4.6s somewhere now. You have to really limit what you ask Law to do because he can't run anymore. And if he gets left out there, he's going to gamble and take chances. He never could really run. He's really done now. If he can just break on stuff in front, he's smart and will tackle. Surtain still has some quickness and decent movement." Second-year safeties Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard aren't speedy, either. "They both look like linebackers," the scout said. "It's 1980s football. All this coverage stuff that safeties are asked to do now, that's not their forte. Those guys are kind of old-time safeties."

POUNDING AWAY: Despite the presence of premier power back Larry Johnson, the Chiefs rank 28th in rushing. "It's hard for him to get started because the offensive line is not playing very well," one scout said. "He's a back that needs a head of steam to get going. If he can get the momentum going and get back to the line then he can do some stuff. But they're not doing a very good job up front. He can't get back to the line." In order to win, the Chiefs need the threat of the run. "Huard wants to get into a comfort zone with play-action passes," a defensive coach said. "If they get ahead of you they can pound the ball and run the screens and the very safe plays. They're not built to come from behind. You want to get ahead of them and force them to throw the football."

VIEWS OF THE GAME:

McGINN: This probably is the worst offensive line that the Packers have faced. With Aaron Kampman and Ryan Pickett dominating their side of the line, the Chiefs won't be able to function. If Chad Clifton can contain Jared Allen, the Packers will locate voids aplenty in a slow secondary and win.

SILVERSTEIN: This really could be the end of the line for the Packers' road winning streak. The noise, Kansas City's running game, the short week for the Packers. But on paper there are so many reasons the Packers should win. Conventional wisdom wins out in this one. Packers 20, Chiefs 16.

BEDARD: Winning at Denver and Kansas City, the league's two toughest venues, is difficult enough in normal situations. But those games back-to-back and throw in a short week because of the Monday night game, and the task becomes nearly impossible. Chiefs 16, Packers 13.

HUNT: Hard to believe, but the Packers are about to win their sixth consecutive road game going back to last year. They'll take their second straight one in a tough environment on a short week, a testament to Mike McCarthy's leadership. Defense carries. Packers 17, Chiefs 10.

NICKEL: Allen's eight sacks make him a touch matchup for Clifton and the rest of the Packers offensive line but the Chiefs will still fall as the last team Brett Favre has yet to defeat in his career. Packers 28, Chiefs 17.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited. I think this game is gonna be a Packers blowout. My prediction is 38-17

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited. I think this game is gonna be a Packers blowout. My prediction is 38-17

You type that with passion Sir.

Ok I am going to take the Packers tomrrow in the Survivor Pool that I am in. (One Loss And Your Out Pool - No Point Spread.)

There are only three of us left after 8 weeks.... so I am trusting you Trom..

I was going to take the Steelers.

I am taking the Packers now.

RP

RP

Members online

Latest posts