Packers vs Browns Studs and Duds

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to the masthay kicking off debate, I wouldn't mind seeing Crosby and masthay take turns depending on the situation. It definitely cannot help masthays punting by kicking off now so splitting duties should help.

The officiating crew gave us the Finley unnecessary roighness call so I don't think complaining about the refs is fair. I've almost come to expect a couple bad unnecessary roughness alls to happen every game and as long as they are equally called I'm not going to complain. Its almost become part of the "new" NFL.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I agree except I'm not sure why you consider Nelson to be the 3rd best WR on our roster. I tend to think that Nelson and Cobb equally excellent in different ways, tied for #1 and Jones is a close #3.
Yeah, I agree. Still, we are minus two top receivers.

12theTruth

I agree except I'm not sure why you consider Nelson to be the 3rd best WR on our roster. I tend to think that Nelson and Cobb equally excellent in different ways, tied for #1 and Jones is a close #3.

IMO, in terms of when all 3 are on the field at the same time Jones, Cobb, and Nelson are 1a, 1b, and 1c in no particular order. From my perspective though in terms of how their loss affects the offense losing Jones it is the least critical to our offense. Its very close between the other two but I think losing Jordy hurts more than losing Cobb.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Stud = Hyde. Played well. I don't think McMillian played a down outside STs.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, in terms of when all 3 are on the field at the same time Jones, Cobb, and Nelson are 1a, 1b, and 1c in no particular order. From my perspective though in terms of how their loss affects the offense losing Jones it is the least critical to our offense. Its very close between the other two but I think losing Jordy hurts more than losing Cobb.

Bottom line is with these three guys, we can generally lose any one of them and not miss a beat, but miss two and things get tough in a hurry. If i was going to only have one of them at my disposal it definitely wouldn't be Jones and I'm not sure which I'd prefer between Cobb and Nelson or if it really matters much. I guess I'd go with Cobb due to his versatility.

Reaction score
So far this year is turning out just like 2010 except we're winning more games. Injuries allowing our depth players to get valuable experience and veterans being fresh for the playoffs. If this season continues on like 2010 did, I'll be fine with that.
Why can't we just have a normal Super Bowl run like any other team? Haha... Why can't we put together our 2010 season and 2011 season? Why?!?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been fine until this week. You don't think injuries had anything to do with it? C'mon.
The coverage and return units were atrocious, and have been terrible all year.
Not physical covering, and no blocking from week one on... for Jeremy Ross and Randall Cobb.

It's Slocum, not the injuries.

Our LB unit is missing 4 of it's top 5, including the 2 starting OLBs, and our defense didn't suck.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coverage and return units were atrocious, and have been terrible all year.

No they haven't. They haven't been the best but they haven't been "terrible" either. You seem to thing everything is just black and white.

Did it occur to you that the other team is comprised of professional athletes as well? Browns happen to have excellent return units.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I beg your pardon?
What do you define as terrible?

Bottom 10?
Bottom 5?

Remember, there are 32 teams in the NFL today.

See this: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...erence=ALL&role=TM&season=2013&seasonType=REG

Look at the average kick returns.

Get back to me please and define not terrible.

First off, you said, "...coverage and return units were atrocious, and have been terrible all year." Your link only refers to kickoff returns.

If you look at punt returns, we are TENTH.
In kickoff coverage, we are 21st.
In punt coverage, again we are 21st.
Yes, our kickoff return average on the season is 32nd. But that needs to be broken down into "before cutting Ross" and "after cutting Ross." After Ross we are 20th.

Average all that out and adjust for Masthay's booming punts and Crosby's 87.5 FG% thus far and our special teams as a whole are most certainly not "terrible." Meciocre... average.. those terms would apply much better. There are certainly worse.

Last edited:

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The deciding factor for most backups is their skill on special teams, so when they get injured or moves to starting spots and are replaced by new guys who are picked up due to short handedness and not special teams skill and who haven't practiced there, you have to expect there to be a drop off.

Somehow some people seem to think that it makes them seem wise or something to dump on coaches, as if that means they know more. Not sure what gave them that impression.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Studs not mentioned yet: McCarthy for instilling a “no excuses” attitude on the team dating back to the Super Bowl year and before. It sounds a bit hokey to me but his theme last week was “Keep calm and carry on”, which he took from a WWII era poster his wife has in their home. It was issued by the British on the eve of the Battle of Britain. Somehow in his pre-game speech to the team, AJ Hawk turned it into “Keep calm and chew bubble gum” (according to Sam Shields) but it seemed to work all the same. (If Hawk keeps on playing the way he has for the past couple of games, I don't care what he says!) McCarthy gets a lot of crap here (some deserved) but the big picture IMO is he has a pretty good handle on his teams’ mental state and he straddles the players’ coach/disciplinarian pretty well.

Mike Neal for playing with his shoulder injury. He didn’t play his usual number of snaps (considering the other injuries) but it was good to see him out there.

Rodgers: It's easy to take him for granted. His 0 INTs were even more important than his 3 TDs IMO.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ IDK if I can agree with your portion of "discipline" being "pretty well". We have had a BUNCH of just pure stupid penalties that have caused the bad guys to have a free set of downs. That body slam was just dumb, that taking off your helmet personal foul on jolly was inexcusable, the other fighting and crap that happens which normally leads to us getting in trouble is pure lack of discipline. We are lucky that we didn't get flagged for shoving guys that were several feet out of bounds, that happened twice during the browns game. Also lucky that the browns offense sucked as bad as it did, many other teams would have used all those free downs to break it off in our ***.

Members online

Latest posts