Packers vs Broncos thread

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to get healthier, hopefully the bye will accomplish that.

Denver, in their place, will be a tough challenge. It is, however, a winnable game.

Green Bay cannot lose the turnover battle. Green Bay must play well on special teams. Green Bay must pressure Peyton Manning and move him off his spot. Green Bay must avoid an abundance of dumb penalties. Green Bay must keep track of where Von Miller is at all times. And the coaching staff cannot waste challenges, timeouts, or mis-manage the clock.

Do those things and you have a chance. Winning on the road is tough in the NFL, and the Broncos are a very good team with an elite defense. The margin for error is small, but teams aspiring to greater glory step up to these kinds of challenges.

Go Pack Go!

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After one bad game for the D (and "bad" doesn't do it justice) is it fair to suggest the secondary is terrible and the Packers are a "one-and- done" team as one poster suggested? The run D was as good as it's been most of the year, and the secondary was shredded. But it was one game. And Raji was missed.

No doubt the total D has to improve. But the run D is very good, and the team has given up 33 pts in the last 3 games. I'll still take this D over the product I've seen the last few years.

So as far as a silver lining - well let's not forget it was a W. Ugly? Very, but still a win. And the D as a unit stepped up at the very end, totally exhausted, and made plays after SD had first and goal at the 3 with about one minute left. So this team plays the full 60 minutes. They shrugged off a terrible performance and made a lot of things right at the end. Seems memories are short because in the NFCCG last year the team played 55 minutes and we know how that ended.

They also won on a day when Jeff Janis was the leading receiver.

I'm not ready to write this team off. Great teams find ways to win even on bad days.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would be one thing if this team was just winning with smoke and mirrors, but we have talent. A lot of it on both sides. We know they're capable of better, a lot better, but even just a little better will take us a long ways. Even against good teams. I think they survived one of those games where the other team had everything clicking. At least that's what my optimistic side is telling me. I am concerned a little that the offense can't seem to get on track, because I think they should be better than they are even with the players they have. But they are finding ways to get it done and I think that only makes them better for later in the season. If this team can continue to win, while figuring things out, I guess I'm happy.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would be one thing if this team was just winning with smoke and mirrors, but we have talent. A lot of it on both sides. We know they're capable of better, a lot better, but even just a little better will take us a long ways. Even against good teams. I think they survived one of those games where the other team had everything clicking. At least that's what my optimistic side is telling me. I am concerned a little that the offense can't seem to get on track, because I think they should be better than they are even with the players they have. But they are finding ways to get it done and I think that only makes them better for later in the season. If this team can continue to win, while figuring things out, I guess I'm happy.
You sum things up well. The O has been more of a puzzle than anything. We've come to expect a lot from Rodgers, but he has set very high standards for himself, which contributes to his greatness.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
...recognize that the teams they have beaten so far have a combined record of 9-20. Yes, the Packers are 6-0 and have the makings of a Super Bowl team, but their true tests are coming up after the bye, when they will be facing 6-0 Denver and potentially 6-0 Carolina, both on the road.

Teams that Denver has beaten thus far have a combined record of 10-24.

And, Carolina? 9-20.

PFanCan

Reaction score
I would love to see the Pack defeat the Broncos, but I predict that we fall short. They've played weak teams to get to 6-0 (just like the Packers have), but they still have Manning who will dig into the fountain of youth one more time for this showdown with Rodgers and it's their house. So, Broncos win 31-24.

I think the more important match comes a week later. The Packers need to defeat the Panthers to gain tie-breaker advantage. The Panthers have a very easy schedule after the Packers and could run the table from then on (will need to defeat the Falcons twice, though).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams that Denver has beaten thus far have a combined record of 10-24.

And, Carolina? 9-20.

Can't figure out whether to agree with you or argue. Your stats confirm that all three of these undefeated team's opponents have bad records. Don't quite get the point. Please advise.

PFanCan

Reaction score
Can't figure out whether to agree with you or argue. Your stats confirm that all three of these undefeated team's opponents have bad records. Don't quite get the point. Please advise.
When in doubt, just agree with me! :tup:

Ok, to answer your question, my point was this:

Pokerbrat2000 seemed to suggest that us Packer fans need to temper our excitement over being 6-0 as our opponents have been rather weak. He said that our "true test" is coming with away games at Denver and Carolina.

All I was pointing out is what you just said-- All three of these teams have had rather easy schedules thus far. Combined opponent win-loss record of 28-64. So, all three team fanbases need to temper their excitement for now-- not just GB fans.

I agree that the "true test" is coming up with these next two games. But, it's just as much a "true test" for Denver and Carolina as it is for GB.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense, but since there are rarely any posters willing to temper enthusiasm, I wasn't sure. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hey, I'm totally excited about the Packers and being 6-0. My point was that I hope the fans, coaches and players look at yesterdays game as a wake up call and see that there is plenty of work and improvement needed on both sides of the ball. We have beaten two weak teams on the road and 4 marginal teams at home. The schedule ahead gets a lot tougher, especially 3 or 4 of the road games. I'm still confident that with the return of Burnett, Raji, Perry and Adams we will be just fine.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nor are they often willing to temper their disappointments.

Haven't done a real numbers search, but I'd feel pretty safe betting that some variation of "how can you not be pumped/optimistic?" is asked more often than "how come you're so enthusiastic?". :)

PFanCan

Reaction score
Haven't done a real numbers search, but I'd feel pretty safe betting that some variation of "how can you not be pumped/optimistic?" is asked more often than "how come you're so enthusiastic?". :)

Ah, I missed the original sarcasm. Got it now!

Next time, we can avoid all these back-and-forth postings by you just agreeing with all my posts. Trust me on this.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just got a bad feeling about this game.

No I am not a sky is falling kind of guy, but this team isn't going undefeated and unfortunately I'm afraid this is going to be a loss. We got by yesterday which is what you gotta do sometimes to get to a superbowl, but playing in a funk like we have been can mean a loss at some point.

I will say too for the record that even though this team has had games that we just haven't beaten on our opponents nearly as decisively as I'd like, and even with the losses that come, remember this league is all about who gets hot in December and January, not September and October, so if things shape up that way I think we can get our redemption over last year's NFC Championship loss. Plus for the other record I don't see any other team in the NFC or even the NFL (including the Pats) that's elite, so we'll be careful before we knock our own team.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at it like this:

We are both undefeated and due for a loss. So IMO this game is 50/50 for anyone thinking about jumping off the bridge.

Also, Peyton just isn't Peyton anymore. That Denver offense is extremely anemic. However, their D is pretty legit.

Denver is also barely getting by. They have had multiple pick sixes over the course of the early season....take those away, and Denver might be sitting on 2-3 losses right now. All of their games are close and tight and Denver always seems to get the 50/50 balls and have things go their way.

I *almost* dare to say that Denver is smoke and mirrors right now.

Reaction score
My opinion of the extra week of rest is that it is monumental in overcoming short term injuries like Raji, Cobb, Davonte and Bulaga are facing. We need all the weapons we can muster and Adams could be the X factor here. I still think there's several areas of improvement we can work on.. we need to involve our RBs and TEs more in the short passing game. 5-10 yard area.
We also need to jam receivers at the LOS anytime we send more than 4 rushers and let the Safties play the long ball. Were getting beat sending 5 rushers due to DBs playing 5 yards off receivers. The key is to disrupt their route and slow their progression n timing off the snap. If your gonna force guys like Manning to throw .5 seconds early we gotta disrupt the receivers path.
3rd area is 3rd down conversions, where we were poor at best last week. We need to go high probability plays when we only need 1-2 yards, as opposed to throwing 15 yards downfield. That includes screens, slants and throwing quick passes to the outside flat rather than trying to earn it up the middle with a stacked box (particularly 1st half). The middle generally softens as the game progresses.
Lastly is ST penalties and poor discipline penalties. Blocking in the back On returns needs to be a focus as does hitting guys outside the chalk.
I think this is a good litmus test as we are not quite gelling yet..
GB 26
Denver 21

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
broncos O dont scare no-one peyton is going to give our D a few opportunities at picks. the d have to take advantage. Its their D thats the problem, they create turnovers if we can't run the ball it will be a long day for Arod their pass rush is ridiculous and talib is playing lights out this season he's jumping a lot of routes.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all depends on the pass rush.

Rivers had all day to throw = 500 yards passing. If the pass rush can get to Manning, he will throw the ball up for grabs instead of getting hit.

And stark Starks over Lacy right now.

chris c

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi all, Broncos fan here- I come in peace!

I don't actually know anything about Green Bay, except that they have the best QB in the league this year and are undefeated. So I'll talk about Denver.

Special teams: Great clutch kicker, nothing special (no pun intended) about the return game. There's no real returner threat, but also no big goofs (yet, knock on wood). Lots of fair catches and touchbacks and 5-10 yard punt return sort of thing.

Defense: This unit looks historically good. The amount of big plays, turnover, sacks, and overall disruption rivals any unit in many years. The pass rush is phenomenal, they have fast/active linebackers, and pro bowlers sprinkled all over the secondary. Of course, Rodgers is Rodgers, and no one is under any illusion that he won't make plays.

Offense: This is where things get interesting, and where you'll find nothing but bickering if you visit a Broncos message board. It's no secret that, statistically, this is one of the worst offenses in the NFL. And despite Aaron Rodgers, I'm sure if you polled a message board you'd find a lot of people worried about this game because of the Broncos offense vs. the Broncos offense. To really understand this offense and its problems though, the statistics become irrelevant and the stories unfolding after every game are what counts when trying to make a future outlook.

There's lots of hype about Peyton Manning. It's true this is maybe his worst pro season ever, but it's also true that the struggles go way beyond any sound bytes about his arm or age. The fact is he is still making a lot of impressive throws down the field, the "go" routes deep, deep comebacks, sideline passes, backshoulder throws, or just placement right outside the reach of a defender are still there....and the "ducks" are not much duckier than what he threw earlier last year or the year before. His physical condition is like 10th on the list of things that are the problem.

Yet we're still seeing an unusual amount of mental errors, a lot of "wtf" interceptions that have little to do with his arm and more to do with him just getting fooled or forcing something that isn't there. Some of the offensive struggles have been due to dropped passes and penalties at very bad times, bad luck on tipped balls, and just overall poor execution in the red zone once we've driven down the field.

You'll find all sorts of opinions on why that is, ranging from the absurd to "he's uncomfortable with his o-line and there's no run game" to "he cannot work in Kubiak's system." I have my own opinions on this, but what's really relevant for this game is that this offense hasn't done much to prove that they are threatening (yet), but have the potential to be, and if you put Peyton in a "must score" situation (you know, two minute drill down before the half, or down 4 points late in the fourth quarter) you can be sure they will go no huddle and let Peyton do his thing, and he's had a lot of success in these moments. The o-line is improving every week and they are pretty solid now in pass protection, not so much run blocking.

This is a losing game for Denver if the coaches don't treat some of the real offensive problems that have haunted us all year.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the more important match comes a week later. The Packers need to defeat the Panthers to gain tie-breaker advantage. The Panthers have a very easy schedule after the Packers and could run the table from then on (will need to defeat the Falcons twice, though).

Accurate

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll be a much healthier team in 2 weeks--especially the receivers and d line. Manning appears to have finally used up all the strength he has in his throwing arm. Packers 24 Broncos 9.

I've got McManus so can we give them 15

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have enjoyed how it seems so many people are bashing the defense when in facts it's the best they've been since 2010. Has these bashers had a brain fart and forgotten the 32nd ranked D we had all year in 2011, you know the one that couldn't tackle a running back even after 15 tries against Tampa. Or the one that allowed Stafford to throw 520 yards in week 17. Or even better those saying the offense isn't forcing the D to win the games, gess people where have you been from 2011 till now, the D was so bad nearly all the time they had to rely on the offense to score enough points that they were allowing.

I we had that D we had in 2011 Rivers would have thrown for 600 yards.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Up until yesterday the Packers hadn't faced a really good passing qb. The previous 5 games are not the kind of qb talent that will have to be overcome to win a Super Bowl. If Gates doesn't drop the ball at the goal line in the first haft on fourth down the Chargers put up 30 and walk away with a win. The Chargers beat themselves yesterday. Too much credit is being given to a D that get shredded. Quarterbacks have thrown for over 500 yards on 17 occasions in the history of the NFL. 3 of those performances have come against the Packers in the last 6 years The man to man coverage is still too lose On third and short the Db's need to make the Wr rs fight to get off the line of scrimmage.

Members online

Latest posts