Packers vs 49ers Preseason Game 1: Game-Thread

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Love can do well, he just hasn't. Bust until further notice.
This is pretty much what I think. Not saying he has no potential, and maybe he can become something. But bottom line so far, we just haven't gotten the results out of him, not yet anyway.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not seeing it. I’m seeing the typical overreaction. He redshirted in 2020. Zero snaps (preseason and virtual offseason). This was last seasons preseason start and QB evaluation and it’s not mine, so there’s no subjectivity here.

I’m going to politely answer your question with the most objective answer I can. The 3rd live season is where you’d expect a Drafted “Junior” to hit his stride. We are just seeing the opening act of year2
QB Player A
635/1024 62.01%. 37TD/38INT

What objective QB grade would you give that if you didn’t know who’s live stats those were? Be honest here.

QB Player B
Jordan Love in 6 Qtrs of play in his 1st and only live regular season
29/51 56.9% 2TD 3INT

Would you say it’s possible or reasonable (without knowing who’s stats these were) that player B went on to finish with the above Player A stat line after 1,024 attempts?

Would it surprise you to know player A is Favre and Rodgers combined
After an average 2.5 Full offseason programs?
1991-1992-1993-2005-2006

Give the kid 2 FULL Live seasons. Then see where he opens up on a good sample size in the middle of his 3rd season.
Many people seem to think Favre and Rodgers were always great. It just wasn't so.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not seeing it. I’m seeing the typical overreaction. He redshirted in 2020. Zero snaps (preseason and virtual offseason). This was last seasons preseason start and QB evaluation and it’s not mine, so there’s no subjectivity here.

I’m going to politely answer your question with the most objective answer I can. The 3rd live season is where you’d expect a Drafted “Junior” to hit his stride. We are just seeing the opening act of year2
QB Player A
635/1024 62.01%. 37TD/38INT

What objective QB grade would you give that if you didn’t know who’s live stats those were? Be honest here.

QB Player B
Jordan Love in 6 Qtrs of play in his 1st and only live regular season
29/51 56.9% 2TD 3INT

Would you say it’s possible or reasonable (without knowing who’s stats these were) that player B went on to finish with the above Player A stat line after 1,024 attempts?

Would it surprise you to know player A is Favre and Rodgers combined
After an average 2.5 Full offseason programs?
1991-1992-1993-2005-2006

Give the kid 2 FULL Live seasons. Then see where he opens up on a good sample size in the middle of his 3rd season.
How many pre season games has he played in.What are his stats compared to rodgers?

I can look it up, but i just dont care lol.

He didnt have a 1st year as you alluded too..but people forgot that

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How many pre season games has he played in.What are his stats compared to rodgers?

I can look it up, but i just dont care lol.

He didnt have a 1st year as you alluded too..but people forgot that
1st preseason rodgers 54 percent....2nd 57 percent football data base rating 77

Love so far 62 percent 2021 and 22
Football data base rating 74

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
One of the benefits of being an old fart with a functioning memory is recalling how fans trashed Farve and Rodgers at this point in their careers.

Farve got it really bad...and if I'm honest (I'm a 40 year banker so...take that for what it's worth), I recall saying Rodgers won't cut it back in the day. My son on the other hand, declared Rodgers future Hall of Famer - he could have been needling me too, but he bought his jersey before Favre left.

Anyway, I've learned to reserve judgement while recognizing that I don't know s***. :tup:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the benefits of being an old fart with a functioning memory is recalling how fans trashed Farve and Rodgers at this point in their careers.

Farve got it really bad...and if I'm honest (I'm a 40 year banker so...take that for what it's worth), I recall saying Rodgers won't cut it back in the day. My son on the other hand, declared Rodgers future Hall of Famer - he could have been needling me too, but he bought his jersey before Favre left.

Anyway, I've learned to reserve judgement while recognizing that I don't know s***. :tup:
I don't recall Favre getting bashed too badly when he took over for Majkowski. I do remember Rodgers getting a lot of heat from fans when he was picked and started playing PS games as the heir apparent to Favre. No matter how badly Favre acted (and it was bad) nobody really rallied behind Rodgers. If I recall, he broke his foot in an early PS game and that only made the criticism louder, including from me.

Well that was pretty dumb. I didn't like Rodgers at Cal because he held the ball so high. Well he corrected that and a lot of other stuff and we got another franchise QB who, IMO, is way better than Favre. Just look at their TD/INT rations. Favre is close to 1. Rodgers is around 5. Unreal.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still don’t see Love as a starting NFL quarterback. Think the Packers blew that moving up in the draft to acquire Him. He should be playing better than He is because this is his 3rd season. I am NOT impressed

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still don’t see Love as a starting NFL quarterback. Think the Packers blew that moving up in the draft to acquire Him. He should be playing better than He is because this is his 3rd season. I am NOT impressed
I agree. Whether you call it his 2nd or 3rd season, or his "adjusted for covid season" - whatever you wanna call it, the hard truth is that Love has not played anywhere close to a first round pick. I understand that fans were ******* Favre and Rodgers too, and Love may yet prove some of us wrong. I just doubt it.

And I suspect even management is starting to see things this way. They only let him play 2 quarters Friday night. That's not enough for a guy being groomed to start. I was shocked when they didn't let him play 3 quarters. We'll see if that changes this week.

Anyway I'm getting fired up for the regular season. Improvements on D, players coming off the IR or PUP lists early, Some interesting new faces at receiver. It should be fun. Love will backup Rodgers and ideally that's the last we see of Love until next summer.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Love had a good day against NO at practice today. Hope endures.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree, unless Seattle, Houston, and the NYG are that bad. And Gluten will decide where he plays next year if anyone wants him as a backup. He's simply not a starter, at least not now.
So you don't know the quality of the QBs on those 3 teams leads me to believe there are other teams that you do not know the quality of their QBs also. So forgive me if I see a slight flaw in your completely entitled to have opinion that Love would only be a back-up. IMO.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Whether you call it his 2nd or 3rd season, or his "adjusted for covid season" - whatever you wanna call it, the hard truth is that Love has not played anywhere close to a first round pick. I understand that fans were ******* Favre and Rodgers too, and Love may yet prove some of us wrong. I just doubt it.

And I suspect even management is starting to see things this way. They only let him play 2 quarters Friday night. That's not enough for a guy being groomed to start. I was shocked when they didn't let him play 3 quarters. We'll see if that changes this week.

Anyway I'm getting fired up for the regular season. Improvements on D, players coming off the IR or PUP lists early, Some interesting new faces at receiver. It should be fun. Love will backup Rodgers and ideally that's the last we see of Love until next summer.
1. Love is not being groomed to start.
2. I would be surprised if any QB that is a 1 or 2 on the depth chart played 3 quarters of their 1st pre-season game. I could be wrong though, just a hunch I have.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Love is not being groomed to start.
2. I would be surprised if any QB that is a 1 or 2 on the depth chart played 3 quarters of their 1st pre-season game. I could be wrong though, just a hunch I have.
That's a good point. They wouldn't want to risk a #2 by playing him 3 quarters. Especially someone like Love with a lot of experience in the system. Thanks.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I took the day off and headed up to practice today. Love did have a decent day....from what I could see. I was in the middle of the stands and all the activity was in the two end zones.

Looked like a couple cases of "chippiness" and one Saint got tossed for starting a fight. Looked to me like the fights were staged so someone would use the word "chippiness".

Rodgers was using his 60 million dollar hands to catch some high velocity throws and at one point shook his throwing hand repeatedly. It might have been him jerking the crowd too...who can tell sometimes with him.

23 and 29 were talking s*** again. Obviously having fun.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

This isnt meant solely for you..but I need to get this off my chest.

When are people going to realize... They KNEW he needed time.. They KNEW he wasnt ready to start. He wasnt drafted to start right away or in his 3rd year. team knew this going in..it was a project. Just like Gary they knew he was a project as well.

And im sorry but it is only year 2..he had no preseason games to work on. If no preseason you cant count games that arent played

Sometimes you draft guys on potential and groom them..thats what they did with Gary and love.

There have been huge improvments since last year. If there wasnt then okay, time to rattle your *******.
But he has 2 more years to show more.

some wont like that but to effing bad. Im am 70% sure his 5th year is picked up

So buckle up or root for da bears

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Last year Love tc reports were mostly bad throw with some okay throws here and there.

To today

Per Andy Herman of Packer Report, Love then converted the two-point conversion – on a completion to Toure again – to secure the win and end the practice. Herman said Love was the “clear player of the day” after the third-year quarterback was “fantastic” in the red zone and two-minute scenarios.

But I see ones that cant stand him at all will never give him a fair shake.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Perfect ball...play of the day"...
"couldn't have placed it any better"...
"surgical on the final two minute drive".
Reporters' comments on today's joint practice with NO.

Something to keep in mind...Love is in his 3rd year with GB and he doesn't turn 24 until week 9 this year. He's young, talented, & he's starting to put it all together.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Last year Love tc reports were mostly bad throw with some okay throws here and there.

To today

But I see ones that cant stand him at all will never give him a fair shake.

People that have stuck to the narrative that "Love was a terrible pick", want to speed up the evaluation process. That way they can be "right" with their original proclamations, made before the guy even took a snap.

I still have no clue what Love's future looks like, but then again, I wasn't so sure about a lot of players futures, after such limited data. Glad we didn't give up on Favre and Rodgers so quckly and easily.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
People that have stuck to the narrative that "Love was a terrible pick", want to speed up the evaluation process. That way they can be "right" with their original proclamations, made before the guy even took a snap.

I still have no clue what Love's future looks like, but then again, I wasn't so sure about a lot of players futures, after such limited data. Glad we didn't give up on Favre and Rodgers so quckly and easily.
I want to see the kids or adults that said FU to Rodgers in 08?.
Hell I bet some are here
Lol

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't like Rodgers at Cal because he held the ball so high. Well he corrected that and a lot of other stuff and we got another franchise QB who, IMO, is way better than Favre.

McCarthy deserves a lot of credit for changing Rodgers' mechanics.

Love had some great and some bad throws against the Niners. But please don't look at the box score and conclude he had a terrible game as he wasn't responsible for two of those interceptions in any way.

I would be surprised if any QB that is a 1 or 2 on the depth chart played 3 quarters of their 1st pre-season game. I could be wrong though, just a hunch I have.

You're right, no other quarterback who is currently #2 on the depth chart threw more passes in week 1 of the preseason than Love.

The situation was completely different with Favre as he was starting from his first season on in Green Bay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts