Packers vs 49ers Preseason Game 1: Game-Thread

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not going to mince words Love looks Huntley ish. Etling might end up getting a hard look if more misfortune and risky breakdowns occur. I truly want to see Love succeed. I got excited on the Doubs throw - right in stride. But the check down throws were off target and need work, and he still has happy feet.
Wasnt there complaints rodgers was missing check downs? Not comparing both, but I do know people complained. Rodgers was able to correct.

I think ck downs are easier to fix then long balls

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was glad to see Love roll left and throw across his body to Doubs. Etling looked good. The thing about Winfree for me is that he always looks like he is going to fall down after he catches the ball. Like he has tooo much energy. He can get open but I just don't feel comfortable with him for now. It's only a comment. I hope they give Danny Davis a chance. I also hope Malik Taylor gets into the game. I realize not many agree with me (and he made a huge error last year) but I liked him returning kick offs. And he just could not have done much better in the preseason last year as far as catching the ball. Just from the game; maybe Rodgers will be taking over for Cobb sooner than later. I still like Cobb in clutch situations. He has so much determination and did good last year. Davis at TE just does not look good. Whereas Deguara will keep them honest on short throws. Goodson looked like the 3rd back. The back that got hurt on the KO return last year should be competing with him for that spot imho. Don't know who said Walker looked small but he sure looked big to me. Hanson looked really bad. I thought McDuffie looked good but did not watch him much. Really tough to make much out of preseason games. I just hope the coaches don't let the draft position bias affect their choices. I don't really have a lot of faith in that though.

Reaction score
The thing is, when you start looking for excuses for why the guy threw three INTs, one where he should have checked down, that's what they are, excuses. After 3 years in the system, 3 years hanging out with Rodgers, I expect a lot more from Love. I'm not seeing it, and I'm not gonna make excuses for him. I hope he tears it up the next two games, but if he doesn't, I don't see him in GB next year. And if he has no trade value, he may be the equivalent of an UDFA. GB will not pick up the fifth year option of an average (at best) player.
I’m not making up excuses? I said he should’ve made that check down cleaner. But ever last check down touched a receivers body, so let’s all stop pretending like he threw them in the dirt or that other QB’s never miss a throw. Matt said those check down Receivers also have to make a play once in awhile to help out (See Juwsnn Winfree) I’m restating what Matt LaFleur said. Your beef is now with Matt not me! Although come to think of it? I agree with Matt so we are aligned on our opinions, so your Argument holds.. We also disagree! :roflmao:

PS. That whole Love being valued like a UDFA stuff? Im going to be frank and truth hurts more than fiction, it’s just bordering on levels of silliness

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasnt there complaints rodgers was missing check downs? Not comparing both, but I do know people complained. Rodgers was able to correct.

I think ck downs are easier to fix then long balls
At this pt, I do not see it as delusional to say Love has some definite accuracy issues.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, when you start looking for excuses for why the guy threw three INTs, one where he should have checked down, that's what they are, excuses. After 3 years in the system, 3 years hanging out with Rodgers, I expect a lot more from Love. I'm not seeing it, and I'm not gonna make excuses for him. I hope he tears it up the next two games, but if he doesn't, I don't see him in GB next year. And if he has no trade value, he may be the equivalent of an UDFA. GB will not pick up the fifth year option of an average (at best) player.

Only one of those three picks was a bad decision, the other two should have 100% been caught

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not making up excuses? I said he should’ve made that check down cleaner. But ever last check down touched a receivers body, so let’s all stop pretending like he threw them in the dirt or that other QB’s never miss a throw. Matt said those check down Receivers also have to make a play once in awhile to help out (See Juwsnn Winfree) I’m restating what Matt LaFleur said. Your beef is now with Matt not me! Although come to think of it? I agree with Matt so we are aligned on our opinions, so your Argument holds.. We also disagree! :roflmao:

PS. That whole Love being valued like a UDFA stuff? Im going to be frank and truth hurts more than fiction, it’s just bordering on levels of silliness
Well, then when is Love going to start acting like, say a 4th round pick? He isn't first round material. At this point, what team would pick him up if he was cut? Maybe a team who needs a backup. Sounds like 4th round stuff to me, and that's being generous.

Anyway, enough on Love. Rodgers is the QB and there is a season to be played. The team, on paper, has seldom looked better.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, then when is Love going to start acting like, say a 4th round pick? He isn't first round material. At this point, what team would pick him up if he was cut? Maybe a team who needs a backup. Sounds like 4th round stuff to me, and that's being generous.
IMHO, Love would be starting in Seattle, Houston, & possibly NYG. He'll backup AR in '22 and Gute will decide where he plays in the future.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO, Love would be starting in Seattle, Houston, & possibly NYG. He'll backup AR in '22 and Gute will decide where he plays in the future.
I respectfully disagree, unless Seattle, Houston, and the NYG are that bad. And Gluten will decide where he plays next year if anyone wants him as a backup. He's simply not a starter, at least not now.

Reaction score

Anyway, enough on Love. Rodgers is the QB and there is a season to be played. The team, on paper, has seldom looked better.
I’m not seeing it. I’m seeing the typical overreaction. He redshirted in 2020. Zero snaps (preseason and virtual offseason). This was last seasons preseason start and QB evaluation and it’s not mine, so there’s no subjectivity here.

I’m going to politely answer your question with the most objective answer I can. The 3rd live season is where you’d expect a Drafted “Junior” to hit his stride. We are just seeing the opening act of year2
QB Player A
635/1024 62.01%. 37TD/38INT

What objective QB grade would you give that if you didn’t know who’s live stats those were? Be honest here.

QB Player B
Jordan Love in 6 Qtrs of play in his 1st and only live regular season
29/51 56.9% 2TD 3INT

Would you say it’s possible or reasonable (without knowing who’s stats these were) that player B went on to finish with the above Player A stat line after 1,024 attempts?

Would it surprise you to know player A is Favre and Rodgers combined
After an average 2.5 Full offseason programs?
1991-1992-1993-2005-2006

Give the kid 2 FULL Live seasons. Then see where he opens up on a good sample size in the middle of his 3rd season.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unless you think Gute was wrong drafting him..then absouletly its all his fault.

This is what I been seeing in social media
The growing pains of a young QB, that sits behind a HOF QB. Until Love gets to play with all the starters, in real games, in consecutive weeks, nobody really can say, with much surety, a whole lot about him, either positive or negative. Packer fans have been spoiled by 25 + years of Favre and Rodgers. If Rodgers retired tomorrow and Love became the starter, I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of him in 2022, but just like Favre and Rodgers, he could very well turn that opportunity into a successful career.

That said, I'm fine with never finding out how Love plays as a starter for Green Bay, unless it's after Rodgers retires.

Reaction score
The growing pains of a young QB, that sits behind a HOF QB. Until Love gets to play with all the starters, in real games, in consecutive weeks, nobody really can say, with much surety, a whole lot about him, either positive or negative. Packer fans have been spoiled by 25 + years of Favre and Rodgers. If Rodgers retired tomorrow and Love became the starter, I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of him in 2022, but just like Favre and Rodgers, he could very well turn that opportunity into a successful career.

That said, I'm fine with never finding out how Love plays as a starter for Green Bay, unless it's after Rodgers retires.
I agree it’s not like I’m pushing for Jordan to oust the best QB to ever play.
But objectively let’s forget about who he’s behind. He could be behind Trubisky for that matter. The QB position specifically, needs Live, regular season snaps over a several consecutive games stretch before we can ever make any accurate determination on him. I hope that doesn’t happen due to is winning a Championship and Rodgers wanting to finish out his contract in an effort to snag another one while the hand is hot.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not seeing it. I’m seeing the typical overreaction. He redshirted in 2020. Zero snaps (preseason and virtual offseason). This was last seasons preseason start and QB evaluation and it’s not mine, so there’s no subjectivity here.

I’m going to politely answer your question with the most objective answer I can. The 3rd live season is where you’d expect a Drafted “Junior” to hit his stride. We are just seeing the opening act of year2
QB Player A
635/1024 62.01%. 37TD/38INT

What objective QB grade would you give that if you didn’t know who’s live stats those were? Be honest here.

QB Player B
Jordan Love in 6 Qtrs of play in his 1st and only live regular season
29/51 56.9% 2TD 3INT

Would you say it’s possible or reasonable (without knowing who’s stats these were) that player B went on to finish with the above Player A stat line after 1,024 attempts?

Would it surprise you to know player A is Favre and Rodgers combined
After an average 2.5 Full offseason programs?
1991-1992-1993-2005-2006

Give the kid 2 FULL Live seasons. Then see where he opens up on a good sample size in the middle of his 3rd season.
I guess I'm just more focused on what's gonna happen week 1 - like Tonyan AND Jenkins coming off PUP. I'm just not that interested in what Love does in the PS. He's fine as a backup.

And I think you mean give him two full live pre-seasons. Unless Rodgers is injured this year (hopefully not) that's what it sounds like you're suggesting. IMO, he's a capable backup. Meaning, the team might play .500 balll with him in games that count. I'm being generous.

As for being honest, I am. I don't see Love as a starting QB in the NFL, ever. It's just an opinion. And I hope I'm wrong.

Love has to prove he's a starter - and that means blowing away pre-season games. He hasn't. And if management thought he had something, they would have played him for three quarters on Friday. But as long as the Packers keep him this year and next, he'll have two full pre-seasons to show what he can do. That's fine. Again, I'd like it if he could succeed and be a starter. I wish I could see it. I can't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess I'm just more focused on what's gonna happen week 1 - like Tonyan AND Jenkins coming off PUP. I'm just not that interested in what Love does in the PS. He's fine as a backup.

And I think you mean give him two full live pre-seasons. Unless Rodgers is injured this year (hopefully not) that's what it sounds like you're suggesting. IMO, he's a capable backup. Meaning, the team might play .500 balll with him in games that count. I'm being generous.

As for being honest, I am. I don't see Love as a starting QB in the NFL, ever. It's just an opinion. And I hope I'm wrong.

Love has to prove he's a starter - and that means blowing away pre-season games. He hasn't. And if management thought he had something, they would have played him for three quarters on Friday. But as long as the Packers keep him this year and next, he'll have two full pre-seasons to show what he can do. That's fine. Again, I'd like it if he could succeed and be a starter. I wish I could see it. I can't.
That’s fair. Yes I meant 2 FULL regular seasons. As with almost every position, it really seems to be year 3 you get that noticeable jump (I don’t consider the 2020 “virtual meetings type season” into that equation) unless they are a starter and get playing time.

A great, recent example of this 3rd year production is Davante Adams year to year growth.
Also Aaron Rodgers took nicely in his 3rd season (Dallas contest). Keep in mind that Love was a 21 year Junior coming in.

Let’s at least wait until the 2nd game in his Sophomore year of preseason before we make career declarations. It just almost sounds funny writing that. :laugh:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s fair. Yes I meant 2 FULL regular seasons. As with almost every position, it really seems to be year 3 you get that noticeable jump (I don’t consider the 2020 “virtual meetings type season” into that equation) unless they are a starter and get playing time.

A great, recent example of this 3rd year production is Davante Adams year to year growth.
Also Aaron Rodgers took nicely in his 3rd season (Dallas contest). Keep in mind that Love was a 21 year Junior coming in.

Let’s at least wait until the 2nd game in his Sophomore year of preseason before we make career declarations. It just almost sounds funny writing that. :laugh:
Yeah that makes sense. And I remember being a huge fan of Davantae Adams when he was drafted. I took a lot of heat the first two years. He spent more time arguing PI non-calls with the refs. We know how he turned out. Same with Rodgers. I seem to recall Rodgers breaking his foot in a PS game and getting labeled injury-prone. Wrong.

And Love isn't going anywhere. He'll still be the backup. So sure let's see how he does with the rest of PS and next. I want him to succeed. I just have my doubts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I agree it takes most players a few years to adapt and start showing what they can really do in the NFL, the Love situation is very different from Adams and other non-QB's. Adams and other players get to play during the regular season, as they learn more and more, in real game situations, with starters. Love had no preseason games in 2020 and very few regular season opportunities. Had Rodgers retired/been traded before last season and Love got to play in all 17 regular season games, I think we would have a lot better idea of his NFL potential. As it is, just like any young QB that is slotted behind a really good starter, he will have to wait for an opportunity to finally get substantial opportunities, whether it is with the Packers or another team.

Last edited:
Reaction score
While I agree it takes most players a few years to adapt and start showing what they can really do in the NFL, the Love situation is very different from Adams and other non-QB's. Adams and other players get to play during the regular season, as they learn more and more, in real game situations, with starters. Love had no preseason games in 2020 and very few regular season opportunities. Had Rodgers retired/been traded before last season and Love got to play in all 17 regular season games, I think we would have a lot better idea of his NFL potential. As it is, just like any young QB that is slotted behind a real good starter, he will have to wait for an opportunity to finally get substantial opportunities, whether it is with the Packers or another team.
I actually agree 100%. The point I was trying to make was that even a full season as a backup helps tremendously in the development process (live training camps, preseason and running the scout team are an integral part of the process). Aside from all the premature negativity we see, he’s really got it made:
1. He’s playing behind and studying with the best QB to play the sport imo. ESPECIALLY for a kid with INT following him around like dust to Pigpen. Who else would be better to learn behind than Aaron frickin’ Rodgers! Perfect scenario!

2. He’s now got another QB Coach that has years of experience in Tom Clements. He’s just getting started.

3. Other than media pressure or personal pressure he’s putting on himself? Jordan doesn’t need to rush anything. We know who QB1 is in GB. That’s never been even a 1% concern while #12 is here.

I actually have him 1 more plateau from being a low end starter. It’s like he’s 2 positive plays away from really standing out each game. That Detroit game last year was the best example. He started really good. Had he just finished that 1 last drive he could’ve pulled out a nice come from behind Victory and gotten this Monkey off his back.

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well...Love will get another chance this Friday. If he can move the ball and not throw ints, I will feel better about his progress. I want Love to do well. If Rodgers misses some games we need a QB to come in and do a good job.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enjoy Love the lousy QB. Bust. How can you guys defend him? It's been 3 years and he hasn't improved.
I don't see much in Love either. Apparently we're in a minority. Actually I'm just much more interested in the regular season. Hopefully that means we won't see Love unless he comes in for some victory kneel downs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Enjoy Love the lousy QB. Bust. How can you guys defend him? It's been 3 years and he hasn't improved.

Well...Love will get another chance this Friday. If he can move the ball and not throw ints, I will feel better about his progress. I want Love to do well. If Rodgers misses some games we need a QB to come in and do a good job.
hmmm....the first post didn't age well. Do you have a mole using your computer?

Reaction score
Hey. If nothing else maybe we get a backup for 3 seasons and then recoup some draft capital.

Members online

Latest posts