Packers vs 49ers Preseason Game 1: Game-Thread

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when Rodgers threw int vs Niners meant for Lazard, everyone blamed Lazard

;)

I believe that was Lazard running a slant inside, which he allowed the DB to cut him off...it was Lazard's fault for not winning that route.

Got a video of that Lazard play?

Anyway, If Love is throwing that ball on his break or where he’s supposed to and Amari takes it another step and then makes his break I wouldn’t blame Love.

But that’s not what happened here. Yes Amari ran the wrong route, it love wasn’t throwing on timing, he threw it behind and after the DB had position. Needs to make a different read.

I recall lot of people here blame lazard...ill find thread

Again..I trust the pros

a lot of talk about lazard, who did not even suit up for this game. i would be curious to know who was really being talked about.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides you, who is thinking of trading him?

If Rodgers plays long enough, Jordan will be traded or released. Gutey will let Rodgers play as long as he wants. Love is only under contract for a couple more years. It makes sense to think about trading him, so I guarantee Gutey has listened to offers.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love not ready for prime time.
My exact thoughts. This is his third year. He has had that last to years of mini camps as the lead QB, so plenty of time to work things out. Yet, Love still looks mediocre. Not finishing drives and throwing ints. out the ying yang.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok thanks.
I gave the last one a poor throw slightly behind the receiver by Love, but the CB jump timed it nicely also.

The #2 INT was more on Doubs but also an great hustle ripping it away by that hungry SF49 CB. That’s what’s different about the NFL, these guys aren’t college kids.
Yeah, Doubs showed potential but he also showed he is a raw rookie.

Reaction score
In retrospect. If yesterday was a letter grade, as objectively as possible I’d grade Love a B-
If my memory serves me? He got hurt in the first preseason game last year and didn’t get much playing time before being tossed into KC. He’s makes the 3 pt shots, but misses too many layups. That’s fixable.
His overall command of the game is ok+
2 of those 3 INT were really a tipped pass and a Doubs fumble.

He had a few wild high or overthrows though, I counted 3 and 1 was Winfree tipping it. 1 deep shot to Doubs (just before the Doubs TD)
1 on the far left sideline, then had several poor throws on shorter screens or medium crossings. He’s generally a + very athletic QB and crafty on his feet. If he cleans up his layups he’s easily a 65% type passer.

INT seem to haunt him, even when they’re not his fault.
He’s improved very slightly overall imo from last season. But he needs to keep improving to function effectively against #1’s

I think he’s a long term potential is a medium grade starter. Middle of the league type guy. He’ll need this year and 1 year as a true starter to blossom.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not read through the other comments so please keep that in mind. If I repeat something someone else said, my apologies.

IMO Love did look more poised and when he threw the ball he did a pretty good job. He overthrew a couple of times and had 3 interceptions (I only could watch the first 1/2). One of the INT was not his fault. I thought he threw a beautiful pass to Doubs on the first TD.

Doubs seems to have the makings of a good receiver. He follows the ball well and has the ability to go up and make the catch.

I did not see Tourie do anything when I was watching. Did he do anything in the 2nd half?

I liked what I saw out of Goodson. He appeared to be decisive in his cuts and was getting some good yardage. I think at this point he has a good chance of making the team.

I did not see much from the ST. Although Amari had that one good run back.

All in all I thought that it was a pretty good start.

I have no comments about the defence. Just didn't see anything to write home about.

Reaction score
Has Love actually won a game yet?
No. Although his record is 0-1, The most he’s ever played aside from that is 1/2 game (Lions) with a bunch of backups and 1/2 preseason game.

2020 he redshirted (no preseason, virtual meetings) it was merely a mental + and that’s not how you learn this game

Last year was really his first normal season and he hurt his shoulder in the very first preseason game.

He needs more playing time for us to get a proper evaluation. He’s not nearly as bad as you make him and it makes me wonder what your true motivation is to do that?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not D-?
Because it wasnt d-

Id give a c..

Its funny.. Lot here are doom.and gloom and this was bally sports

What was noticeable with Love was his poise in the pocket and how in command of the offense he was. Love didn’t shy away from threading the needle and he made some gorgeous throws on a pair of touchdowns to Romeo Doubs and Danny Davis. The offensive line held up well and when things did break down, Love used his legs to escape and extend some plays. It’s just one preseason game, but in his third year Love looked far more comfortable and the happy feet in the pocket that have been visible in years past were invisible this time around

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good

Amari Rodgers
Oline (pass pro)
MLF (providing that good good cover for Love)
Tyler Davis
Slaton

Bad
Oline (running game)

M'eh
Love - the Int that MLF blamed on Doubs was chancy; Doubs did touch it but I don't like when a QB throws a 5 yard out behind and above his intended target, that's a throw that should have been an easy catch and run-out-bounds-for-a-first-down. Love did have some impressive throws though and he certainly looked better tonight than he has in the past.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that where we are at with Love. Something, Anything??

But it wasn’t anything. Literally only one of those picks were even remotely more than one percent his fault if that. The other was a broken route play by multiple people confirmed and he took a shot, big mistake and very Favre like

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers plays long enough, Jordan will be traded or released. Gutey will let Rodgers play as long as he wants. Love is only under contract for a couple more years. It makes sense to think about trading him, so I guarantee Gutey has listened to offers.
Clements was hired and talked out of retirement just for him. Love ain’t going anywhere.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to mince words Love looks Huntley ish. Etling might end up getting a hard look if more misfortune and risky breakdowns occur. I truly want to see Love succeed. I got excited on the Doubs throw - right in stride. But the check down throws were off target and need work, and he still has happy feet.

Reaction score
Not going to mince words Love looks Huntley ish. Etling might end up getting a hard look if more misfortune and risky breakdowns occur. I truly want to see Love succeed. I got excited on the Doubs throw - right in stride. But the check down throws were off target and need work, and he still has happy feet.

I agree with you on the check downs he was slightly off target on (2). Although not uncatchable either.

On the INT’s Matt saw 2 INT that really had zero to do with Love.
1 would’ve likely resulted in points. We don’t need Matt to see that part.

I will trust Matt and he clearly said after the game that all those receivers were running incorrect routes on a broken play. Amari was 3rd read was supposed to be a hard cut inside and he rounded it very soft. Listen, it’s preseason and I don’t want Love playing it safe.
The only way you learn is mistakes and preseason isn’t the same mindset as Regular, don’t dare throw that ball away unless it’s your life at stake.
Love had C+ B- first 1/2 game and didn’t do anything directly to deserve a poor mark. He actually had 2 designed plays running for 1st downs that displayed his athleticism. (Jackson injured his shoulder on one) so I’m not sure where you are Seeing happy feet?

If it’s Loves fault I’m going to call
him out and I’m not interested in defending him if he just carelessly throws it I’m going to say so.
There was one throw I was far more concerned with and that was Loves fault. It was a poor high pass to Winfree in sticky. He’s lucky it didn’t get tipped for an INT. Thanks to Winfree looking stout and hungry, It was a completion. Love made the tough throws and missed some easy ones. I’d much rather have him miss the easy fixable stuff.

Let’s give him a couple halves to tighten up into that B, B+ A- territory etc.,

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In retrospect. If yesterday was a letter grade, as objectively as possible I’d grade Love a B-
If my memory serves me? He got hurt in the first preseason game last year and didn’t get much playing time before being tossed into KC. He’s makes the 3 pt shots, but misses too many layups. That’s fixable.
His overall command of the game is ok+
2 of those 3 INT were really a tipped pass and a Doubs fumble.

He had a few wild high or overthrows though, I counted 3 and 1 was Winfree tipping it. 1 deep shot to Doubs (just before the Doubs TD)
1 on the far left sideline, then had several poor throws on shorter screens or medium crossings. He’s generally a + very athletic QB and crafty on his feet. If he cleans up his layups he’s easily a 65% type passer.

INT seem to haunt him, even when they’re not his fault.
He’s improved very slightly overall imo from last season. But he needs to keep improving to function effectively against #1’s

I think he’s a long term potential is a medium grade starter. Middle of the league type guy. He’ll need this year and 1 year as a true starter to blossom.
The thing is, when you start looking for excuses for why the guy threw three INTs, one where he should have checked down, that's what they are, excuses. After 3 years in the system, 3 years hanging out with Rodgers, I expect a lot more from Love. I'm not seeing it, and I'm not gonna make excuses for him. I hope he tears it up the next two games, but if he doesn't, I don't see him in GB next year. And if he has no trade value, he may be the equivalent of an UDFA. GB will not pick up the fifth year option of an average (at best) player.

Members online

Latest posts