Packers Vikings Wild card weekend 2012 round 3

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has been cleared to play and Cobb practiced as well. Having Woodson back will make a difference because he is a leader and has always been a solid tackler. He has had some success against Ponder in the past. I couldnt help noticing in the last game that Ponder doesnt have a lot on his passes and his accuracy isnt great.

The Pack cant afford another slow start this week. I gotta believe with Cobb, Jones, Jennings, Nelson, and Finley all playing we can jump out to a lead and make Ponder try to keep pace. The defense needs to man up !

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all fairness to Terrel Manning, he was diagnosed with a nasty gastrointestinal illness, colitis I believe, in TC which caused him to lose something like 20 pounds. He recovered but I don't think he gained back the weight and was able to practice full out until the season was already underway.

One of my lacrosse teammates developed this. After watching him I learned it's a terrible thing to get. He no longer plays lacrosse and switched schools to be closer to his doctor/home. He's better now but it's 3 years later...Manning might not be his normal self for while.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my lacrosse teammates developed this. After watching him I learned it's a terrible thing to get. He no longer plays lacrosse and switched schools to be closer to his doctor/home. He's better now but it's 3 years later...Manning might not be his normal self for while.
Great. More **** bad luck for us with injuries, as if having the great and clean Nick Collins taken away last year for good wasn't bad enough.
I believe in a real God, but if there really is an injury God and I ever meet him, I am going to punch him square in the nose.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
In all fairness to Terrel Manning, he was diagnosed with a nasty gastrointestinal illness, colitis I believe, in TC which caused him to lose something like 20 pounds. He recovered but I don't think he gained back the weight and was able to practice full out until the season was already underway.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/get-to-know-terrell-manning-ho6usrl-170792686.html

It can be fatal in some instances. My sister had it once, she was fine after a few months. Granted we caught it at a decent time and she's not an athlete who played while under effects

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How to beat the Vikings (lots of opinions so all this just IMO):
Personnel: DuJuan Harris is the starting RB. It's OK to use Kuhn on third downs because he's the best pass protector of the backs but other than that, IMO McCarthy should tire Harris out. Grant should only come in when Harris needs a rest. BTW, Harris had one great blitz pickup in the game - that had to be very encouraging to Rodgers and the coaching staff.

Start Wilson at DE. He, Raji and Pickett are the best three vs. the run. I'm encouraged by Neal's continued health (short-lived as it is so far) and he's better rushing the passer, but Wilson is better vs. the run at DE. And that's more important vs. the Vikings.

IMO Jeremy Ross should be the new returner. Not only for this game but for the rest of the playoff games and next year. He's fast, shows good instincts, and is big for a returner (6' 215 lbs. vs. Cobb's 5'-10", 192 lbs. - and Cobb isn't "small" for a returner). He's not better than Cobb but he looks pretty damn good and saves the wear and tear on Cobb, who has become extremely important to the offense.

Of course Woodson should start in base D at safety. Even a rusty Woodson is better than Jennings or McMillian.

Preparation: I hope this has already occurred: Show (embarrass/shame) the following players how they "performed" last Sunday in film/tape/whatever sessions.

Tramon Williams: If you're not hurt you have to "sack up" and tackle. If you are hurt, you should only play on obvious passing downs.

Sam Shields: You can't get beat in a three-deep zone as you did. Just because you aren't facing an elite QB doesn't mean you can stare statute-like into the offensive backfield.

Casey Hayward: (this is a pet peeve of mine in football pass D and basketball) Even when playing zone defense, at some point you have to cover a player! And give a better effort tackling.
Clay Matthews: This is surprising but as McGinn writes, he did not set a good edge Sunday and was controlled too often by TEs in the running game.

Brad Jones: AP is the best RB in the game, even so when you get your hands on him you've got to AT LEAST hang on. Same for AJ Hawk.

Morgan Burnett: He too missed a couple of tackles but I'm hoping his role with change with Woodson's return. Still he'll also have to do a better job tackling.

Strategy/Tactics: Normally I prefer to have the Packers defer to the second half if they win the coin toss. I heard Rodgers call scoring at the end of the first half and again with the second half KO a "double double". But against the Vikings, starting quickly and getting a lead is important, so if they win the toss I think they should take the ball.

McGinn says Sunday's game was only the second time in Rodgers' career he didn’t have a rushing attempt. Encourage him to run when the opportunity presents itself but of course, slide or run out of bounds before contact. If Rodgers would have made the decision to run sooner on the fumble play, it likely wouldn't have happened. And it's deflating for a D that gets a good pass rush and has all the receivers covered adequately to get burned by a running QB.

Having Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Finley, and Jones all healthy should be a huge boost. "All" they have to do is give Rodgers time and he should be able to carve up the Vikings secondary.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How to beat the Vikings (lots of opinions so all this just IMO):
Personnel: DuJuan Harris is the starting RB. It's OK to use Kuhn on third downs because he's the best pass protector of the backs but other than that, IMO McCarthy should tire Harris out. Grant should only come in when Harris needs a rest. BTW, Harris had one great blitz pickup in the game - that had to be very encouraging to Rodgers and the coaching staff.

Start Wilson at DE. He, Raji and Pickett are the best three vs. the run. I'm encouraged by Neal's continued health (short-lived as it is so far) and he's better rushing the passer, but Wilson is better vs. the run at DE. And that's more important vs. the Vikings.

IMO Jeremy Ross should be the new returner. Not only for this game but for the rest of the playoff games and next year. He's fast, shows good instincts, and is big for a returner (6' 215 lbs. vs. Cobb's 5'-10", 192 lbs. - and Cobb isn't "small" for a returner). He's not better than Cobb but he looks pretty damn good and saves the wear and tear on Cobb, who has become extremely important to the offense.

Of course Woodson should start in base D at safety. Even a rusty Woodson is better than Jennings or McMillian.

Preparation: I hope this has already occurred: Show (embarrass/shame) the following players how they "performed" last Sunday in film/tape/whatever sessions.

Tramon Williams: If you're not hurt you have to "sack up" and tackle. If you are hurt, you should only play on obvious passing downs.

Sam Shields: You can't get beat in a three-deep zone as you did. Just because you aren't facing an elite QB doesn't mean you can stare statute-like into the offensive backfield.

Casey Hayward: (this is a pet peeve of mine in football pass D and basketball) Even when playing zone defense, at some point you have to cover a player! And give a better effort tackling.
Clay Matthews: This is surprising but as McGinn writes, he did not set a good edge Sunday and was controlled too often by TEs in the running game.

Brad Jones: AP is the best RB in the game, even so when you get your hands on him you've got to AT LEAST hang on. Same for AJ Hawk.

Morgan Burnett: He too missed a couple of tackles but I'm hoping his role with change with Woodson's return. Still he'll also have to do a better job tackling.

Strategy/Tactics: Normally I prefer to have the Packers defer to the second half if they win the coin toss. I heard Rodgers call scoring at the end of the first half and again with the second half KO a "double double". But against the Vikings, starting quickly and getting a lead is important, so if they win the toss I think they should take the ball.

McGinn says Sunday's game was only the second time in Rodgers' career he didn’t have a rushing attempt. Encourage him to run when the opportunity presents itself but of course, slide or run out of bounds before contact. If Rodgers would have made the decision to run sooner on the fumble play, it likely wouldn't have happened. And it's deflating for a D that gets a good pass rush and has all the receivers covered adequately to get burned by a running QB.

Having Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Finley, and Jones all healthy should be a huge boost. "All" they have to do is give Rodgers time and he should be able to carve up the Vikings secondary.

Nelson is pretty banged up(knee injury) and Finley got poked in the eye, hopefully they will both be ready to go Saturday, both were limited in practice today.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers: Owned and operated by Adrian Peterson.

Minnesota Vikings: Owned and Operated by the following teams: Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Oakland Raiders, and Gary Anderson, and of course how we can forget our old friend!!! Get lost you ****ing troll *******.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Minnesota Vikings: Owned and Operated by the following teams: Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Oakland Raiders, and Gary Anderson, and of course how we can forget our old friend!!! Get lost you ******* troll *******.
Good sign you are doing something wrong when fans of your team are calling you troll on a rivals forum.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Attachments

• vikingtroll.jpeg
    vikingtroll.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 119

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our inside backers aren't very good. I wish Bishop was playing.. At what point do we try to upgrade Hawk? He has a few decent games here and there, but he just doesn't have "it"..
You are so right. Of all our D players the one who can impact the run game the most would have been Bishop. I recall his rookie year when he had to play in the dome he broke through the line on 4th down and forced an Adrian Peterson fumble. I even think he would have had an impact in week one when we had to face Frank Gore.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The injury to Bishop was huge. D J was inadequate and so is Jones. But Hawk has played reasonably well this season.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Our inside backers aren't very good. I wish Bishop was playing.. At what point do we try to upgrade Hawk? He has a few decent games here and there, but he just doesn't have "it"..
2014, when it becomes considerably more cost effective

Reaction score
The injury to Bishop was huge. D J was inadequate and so is Jones. But Hawk has played reasonably well this season.

I wouldn't call DJ or Brad inadequate - DJ doesn't have the height - but he's like a sneaky troll that provides a good thump to any screen pass/or running play. Brad is alright making goal line stopping plays - could improve his like... coverage or whatever .... AJ is still soft as heck. It'd be awesome if we could just clone Clay and Bishop several times over.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call DJ or Brad inadequate - DJ doesn't have the height - but he's like a sneaky troll that provides a good thump to any screen pass/or running play. Brad is alright making goal line stopping plays - could improve his like... coverage or whatever .... AJ is still soft as heck. It'd be awesome if we could just clone Clay and Bishop several times over.

DJ did nothing to distinguish himself the short time he played. He was a huge step down from Bishop. Jones made a play at the goal line. Whoopee! That's one but how many times do you see him stuff a running play. And he can't cover for crap. Both inadequate in my book.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard something in Jenning's Locker Room interview today that sparked a bit of a thought for me. He was talking about the impact of having the full stable of receivers on the field and one thing he made sure to bring up was Cobb out of the backfield. I liked the dimension Cobb gave the team out of the backfield on 5-7 plays a game and McCarthy has seemed to shy away from those formations in the last couple of weeks.

The Vikings have been pretty good as far as yard after the catch this year but it seemed like our guys were giving them fits at times and that was without Cobb on the field. Him coming at a defense from 5 different positions any given down puts a lot of stress on a defense and he has shown the ability to make one or more guys miss in the open field. Hopefully the WR's keep up their excellent down field blocks that open up holes for our playmakers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard something in Jenning's Locker Room interview today that sparked a bit of a thought for me. He was talking about the impact of having the full stable of receivers on the field and one thing he made sure to bring up was Cobb out of the backfield. I liked the dimension Cobb gave the team out of the backfield on 5-7 plays a game and McCarthy has seemed to shy away from those formations in the last couple of weeks.

The Vikings have been pretty good as far as yard after the catch this year but it seemed like our guys were giving them fits at times and that was without Cobb on the field. Him coming at a defense from 5 different positions any given down puts a lot of stress on a defense and he has shown the ability to make one or more guys miss in the open field. Hopefully the WR's keep up their excellent down field blocks that open up holes for our playmakers.
I like the idea of Cobb in the backfield, but I don't want to hand the ball off to him... maybe once or twice.
Use him as a decoy, mix things up, get him matched up on a LB and then get him out as a receiver against him.

I also think DuJuan Harris is capable of killing them.
Our offense has so many options it's confusing to plan what to do.

90% of the whole concern I have is on the defense.

Here's a good piece I posted to PackersInsider, but will also imbed it right here.
Our old reporter Tom Pelissero.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has been cleared to play and Cobb practiced as well. Having Woodson back will make a difference because he is a leader and has always been a solid tackler. He has had some success against Ponder in the past. I couldnt help noticing in the last game that Ponder doesnt have a lot on his passes and his accuracy isnt great.

Ponder was pretty darn accurate in the week 17 game. I'm just saying. First time around not so much, but he has gotten better.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I hear in Pittsburgh, the Packers don't have a chance now that they lost in Week 17. Of course, the same fans probably think that the Steelers were just one bad call away from a 16-0 season.

If I were thinking rationally, I'd give the Packers a great shot at winning. The Vikings played a perfect game in Week 17 and still only barely won, while the Packers did almost everything wrong and still nearly pulled it out. But I'm not thinking rationally. I'm going to panic for the rest of the week. Maybe that's best, because that's what I did all through the Super Bowl XLV run.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I hear in Pittsburgh, the Packers don't have a chance now that they lost in Week 17. Of course, the same fans probably think that the Steelers were just one bad call away from a 16-0 season.

If I were thinking rationally, I'd give the Packers a great shot at winning. The Vikings played a perfect game in Week 17 and still only barely won, while the Packers did almost everything wrong and still nearly pulled it out. But I'm not thinking rationally. I'm going to panic for the rest of the week. Maybe that's best, because that's what I did all through the Super Bowl XLV run.

Man, my stomach still acts up when I think about that post season run in 2010 lol... I was sick for like one month straight!

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be flying in on Friday afternoon by myself from Phoenix. Anyone doing anything fun before and after the game? I'd like to meet other fellow Packer fans

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts