Packers v. Vikes game

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the subject of home town booing has come up often on this board regarding the Packers and other teams. Does or doesn't it happen? True fans or just people who bought tickets?

That said, this weekend at the Dome I have a feeling that the hometown fans will be booing the Vikes due to their off the field problems.

This may be the one time at the Dome that the Fans do not boo the Pack but Boo the Vikes.

In this situation I think the hometown fans have a right to boo. They get a Boo Pass Card on this one.

Thoughts.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may boo during the intros a little (I would guess) but I think they will come unglued at the first viking mistake. If they turn on the vikes early it will be like 60K packers fans in the dome :p

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fans will boo if we get up early. I'm praying Rossley and Sherman don't waste the first quarter this week. They have 2 friggin weeks of film study to prepare. We need to get up on the Vikes and turn their crowd against them and we should win the game. If we don't do this, I have no idea what will happen, but it probably won't be a favourable result for us.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we can count on the running game to get it going for us. If the vikettes use their 3-4 defense like they did against the Bears Rossley probably won't be prepared, not to mention that our "stable" of running backs is pretty mediocre.
Hopefully Brett will be able to break their backs early. If he has one of those "dome" games this could turn into a real puker.
This game is the Packers biggest challenge at this point in time. Let's hope our team is up for it.
Let's hope the Green Bay coaching staff is up to it.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I notice according to the D rankings that their Passing D is a top 10 passing D (Pat and Kevin Williams, Smoot, Winfield, Chavous and yes even Sharper are a part of that Pass D, whether he has helped out or not).

The run game with Green may actually be the ticket with Fischer also.

We will also be able to exploit their LBs in TE coverage.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
We will also be able to exploit their LBs in TE coverage.

Good point. The Bears actually used the TE position for the first time in 36 years. Clark scored 2 TDs, which is unheard of in Chicago offense history.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where it looks like the Vikes are going to run a 3-4 Defense against us. My memory is poor. How have we done against 3-4 Ds over the last couple of years?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not well from what I remember. It gave us fits vs. Houston last season and vs. the Bills and Patriots in the pre-season. I don't get the switch personally given that the scheme seems designed to put the LBs in position to make plays and that is the weakest position on the Queens' D.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consider, if you will ------

Daunte Culpepper - intercepted, ....not once - but twice... by none other than our own No.36 - Nick Collins. While at the same time, we see Brett Favre thread the needle on the Vikings own 4th & 26, right past Darren Sharper all over again.... toooo sa-weeeet!

I look for Collins & Cole (both) to have a big day this time around.
Our Defense is set to come unhinged the moment they smell blood from Culpepper...

And Sharper won't be able to stop a thing.... even Darren will see the marked improvement on the Packer's Defense! Whether he wears purple or not - he'll be green watching the Packers take this game....

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Vikes actually had some great pressure against Orton. Chicago's D and special teams basically won that game for them. if our O-line holds i think we should be fine.

any news on Green's health?

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
The fans will boo if we get up early. I'm praying Rossley and Sherman don't waste the first quarter this week. They have 2 friggin weeks of film study to prepare. We need to get up on the Vikes and turn their crowd against them and we should win the game. If we don't do this, I have no idea what will happen, but it probably won't be a favourable result for us.

I hope the Pack spent bye week preparing for this game instead of partying. Be ready no matter what. Be rested up.

GBpsyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be a dangerous game for us.
We must strike early and keep the vikes
on their heels.If Culpepper gets going early,
and we fall behind,I dont like our chances.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard both John Madden and Jim Mora Sr. say that coming off a bye week a team is a little slow as they are not quite up to "game speed". Does that help the offense or the defense?

I think the Packers will be better off by kicking the ball first and receiving after halftime. Allow the Viking Offense to falter and start with the better field position.

The Vikings have the worst run defense in the league. Ahman Green should get great yards. If not it will be very telling.

Culpepper has been staring down receivers and is leading the league in INT's.
Nick Collins could get a highlight for ESPN.

The Vikings went to a 3-4 defense last week. It confused the Bears. Whitticker's worst game was preseason when he faced the 3-4 for the first time in his life.

Darren Sharper knows the moves, manerisms, and abilities of Brett Favre. Brett should avoid throwing anywhere near him. Past Sharper is okay.

Big key on defense is Ahmad Carrol not giving up cheap yardage, penalties or otherwise.

It should be fun.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have won 4 consecutive post bye week games. We always seem to play well following the bye. We better come out fired up for this one or I'm going to be pissed.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be at this game and will settle for nothing less than total domination of the Queens. Was at the Badger game last Saturday and there is nothing quite like silencing that noise in the dump. Tickets are widely available for about half the typical cost of Packer/Queens games of the past. Look for a heavier than normal Green/Gold presence at the game.

If the Pack gets the coin toss, defer and take the ball first to start the second half. I imagine a lot more 2 tight end sets and less U-71...Favre has found some new targets in Lee and Martin and we can exploit the 3-4 with this formation.

And yes, IPB...I look for a big game from Cole and Collins...2 real nice up and comers.

Hey TOP...how's things?

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:lol: :lol:

Here is one out of the locker- room!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Maybe we'd change the topic?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game is NO CONTEST either way...

IF the Packers are still thinking about their 52-3 win over NO, the Vikings will run all over the Packers and the sloppy play that caused them to lose 4 games will comeback to haunt them.

If the Packers remind themselves of the fact that they are still 1-4 and play accordingly, this game won't be close... In OUR favor.

Which Packer team will show up?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
This game is NO CONTEST either way...

IF the Packers are still thinking about their 52-3 win over NO, the Vikings will run all over the Packers and the sloppy play that caused them to lose 4 games will comeback to haunt them.

If the Packers remind themselves of the fact that they are still 1-4 and play accordingly, this game won't be close... In OUR favor.

Which Packer team will show up?

More like - which coaching approach will show up?

Desparation? - or - "Oh, who gives a $hit, I got my contract..!"

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi...this is EXACTLY what worries me, and what demands great scrutiny, about Mike Sherman. Which team...or, more specifically, which GAMEPLAN shows up. Is it the gameplan that reins in our offense with predictably conservative calls, or the one that attacks and exploits the shown weaknesses of opponent's defenses. Is the team hot out the chute, or do they ease into things...getting hot only when their backs are against the wall.

We shall see...I hope for the "go for the throat" model.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope they keep it simple. Simple worked vs. the Saints and should work vs. the Queens. Don't out think yourself Mike. Have the team prepared to do what it does best and we should win.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Obi...this is EXACTLY what worries me, and what demands great scrutiny, about Mike Sherman. Which team...or, more specifically, which GAMEPLAN shows up. Is it the gameplan that reins in our offense with predictably conservative calls, or the one that attacks and exploits the shown weaknesses of opponent's defenses. Is the team hot out the chute, or do they ease into things...getting hot only when their backs are against the wall.

We shall see...I hope for the "go for the throat" model.

Digs, IPB,

Though your concerns are good and all, they are NOT well founded.
What lost the games for the Packers in those games where they shot themselves in the foot wasn't the Gameplan... It was the lack of execution, penalties, and the turnovers.

Packers resolved that vs. NO and look what happened. I think it boils down to the same thing here. If the Packers win, they win in a landslide because of their lack of penalties and mistakes.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right, Obi...they shot themselves in the foot, in addition to what I consider poor game plans. But, when shot in the foot, down 2 scores with 4 minutes and change left, why no urgency...why the casual huddle up when Favre has spent his entire career, at least his career prior to tje current regime, eating up defenses with the 2 minute drill.

It is a little bit of both, in my opinion.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I don't see how the Pack loses this game. Because of the injuries to the line, we will use the 3-4 defense and our linebackers stink. I see Farve tossing slants to Driver and using your tightends when you're not running Green down our throats.

This current team pretty much quits on Tice when they're down and when that happens,the fans will rain boos down on their heads.

I really hope I'm wrong, but...

Members online

Latest posts