Packers release RB Knile Davis

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to a source the team has acquired RB Knile Davis from the Chiefs.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Knile Davis > Don Jackson :)
There is something positive to come away with so far this week.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Davis (5-10, 227) has rushed for 775 yards on 233 carries (3.3 average) and 11 TDs for the Chiefs since being selected in the third round of the 2013 draft. In addition he has caught 31 balls for 260 yards and a TD.

He's a dangerous kick returner having averaged 27.2 yards on 69 career returns with two of them reslting in TDs.

This season he was hardly used by the Chiefs on offense carrying the ball only once for minus-2 yards and having two receptions for 14 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well La De Frickin Da!!!! What a joke....wait till he starts getting that STUPID run play to the right that NEVER works. The time has come for some fresh GM and coaching philosophy. Let's hope some more epic failures this season produce a welcome change in management. Yes Kool-Aid drinkers this team stinks and it has for the last several seasons.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Let's hope some more epic failures this season produce a welcome change in management.

I don't agree with various moves by Thompson as well but as a true Packers fan would never root for the team to produce epic failures.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport the Packers gave up a conditional late-round pick for Davis which is based on playing time.

Reaction score
Eh. He's roughly equivalent to Starks for me so I'm not going to get too excited by this but I do find it somewhat telling that Ted's made this move instead of going with a PS player for the duration of Starks' absence. This is either the move of a man who still holds out hope for this season, or one who fears for his job.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?? Then you're OK with mediocrity for our team with its great history. Maybe you don't remember the 1970s but I do. I'm not going to settle for that because we need to dominate. Our team history dictates Greatness...not an average team. The move is out of desperation because of poor planning....again. Time for a change from the same tired ideas

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Really?? Then you're OK with mediocrity for our team with its great history. Maybe you don't remember the 1970s but I do. I'm not going to settle for that because we need to dominate. Our team history dictates Greatness...not an average team. The move is out of desperation because of poor planning....again. Time for a change from the same tired ideas

As I've said repeatedly, if the offense continues to struggle for the rest of this season it might be time to part ways with McCarthy and Thompson. That doesn't mean I will root for the team to fail this season though.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I'm shocked I see so much disdain for Kniles Davis! He was unlucky to be put behind a team with 3 RB1's. He is a solid RB 2 that I think will fit our system well. Also we have a guy with some balls that will run with the ball after a punt instead of fair catch EVERYTHING. This is a grade trade people! Knile Davis > Don Jackson!!!!

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if they're successful then will be happy but then the double edge means… ??? More of the same philosophy and personnel in the front office. Brilliance is not sitting in the front office tinkering with the offense of line a week before the season opens and dropping your key offensive lineman on a whim. Then wondering why the offense have such trouble figuring things out with a quarterback gets decide to be lackadaisical.

Arkaign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he comes in with a chip on his shoulder after getting few opportunities to do anything recently with KC.

This is a great move, very low cost, and with Starks out and Lacy dinged up, headed into a mini-bye after the Thursday game, well timed. I'd use Davis as the back and suit one more RB, but prefer to see Lacy sit it out and get right, because the following game against the Falcons will be a real test. Chicago is a lower-tier team, and AR can hopefully start a comeback with them, but the Falcons are going to determine the quality of the rest of the season, and likely the long-term employment of MM.

Winning Chicago but losing to the Falcons puts the Pack at 4-4, and that's no way to go into the mid-point of a season, particularly when the Vikings have been running the table thus far. I do think the Packers have had the harder schedule so far, so it's not impossible to see fortunes reversed. Hell, the Falcons started last year 6-0 and disintegrated long term, and this is still Sam Bradford we're talking about. The odds aren't fantastic, but it's a long season, we could look at 11-5 and winning the division with the right moves and solid momentum building. It truly hinges on AR getting a chip on his shoulder and taking charge, because right now things look leaderless.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm shocked I see so much disdain for Kniles Davis! He was unlucky to be put behind a team with 3 RB1's. He is a solid RB 2 that I think will fit our system well. Also we have a guy with some balls that will run with the ball after a punt instead of fair catch EVERYTHING. This is a grade trade people! Knile Davis > Don Jackson!!!!

Davis is a below average running back. While he's most likely better than Don Jackson there's nothing to get excited about.

FYI Davis has never returned a punt in his NFL career.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

This is a great move, very low cost, and with Starks out and Lacy dinged up, headed into a mini-bye after the Thursday game, well timed. I'd use Davis as the back and suit one more RB, but prefer to see Lacy sit it out and get right, because the following game against the Falcons will be a real test.

There's no way the Packers should start Davis on Thursday after only two days within the system. Whike I agree it's a low cost move I don't expect significant reward out of it either.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad to have him on the roster. I think he'd do well on screens, but he looks like Ty Montgomery when trying to run between the tackles. But with some space, he's pretty dangerous.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm glad to have him on the roster. I think he'd do well on screens, but he looks like Ty Montgomery when trying to run between the tackles. But with some space, he's pretty dangerous.

I'd rather continue to use Montgomery in that role than Davis who isn't used to the Packers system.

Reaction score
While I am not excited about the player he has been of recent he has had some good points and could definitely be a change that could spark something. Even if it's getting Starky to come back healthy and play better would be at least positive to come out. I would think this guy has a huge chip and comes in ready to go. I think that this really shows how much they don't like Jackson. Unless both Lacy and Starks out this week and they just want Davis to be a body in case worst case scenario to back up Jackson. Not sure but I am happy they actually did something. Does anyone know what the usual ceiling of a condintional late round pick is??

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to be excited about this because it's a rare trade by the Packers, but I just don't see Knile being that great. I would rather we take a shot with Karlos Williams because he was solid with Buffalo. Plus we could have two fat runners.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hes a decent RB to me, the thing is he can catch out the backfield and he breaks tackles. A lb cant hold him 1 on 1. Is he the savior I don't think he is but I think he can help the back field a lot.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hes a decent RB to me, the thing is he can catch out the backfield and he breaks tackles.

I would have preferred to add a decent running back. Montgomery proved to be effective vs. the Cowboys catching the ball coming out of the backfield.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I would rather we take a shot with Karlos Williams because he was solid with Buffalo. Plus we could have two fat runners.

Williams was released by the Bills after reportedly showing up to training camp out of shape. After what happened with Lacy last season there's no reason to add another running back having trouble to keep a soecific weight to the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Happy for the Chiefs, they got something in exchange for a player they were most likely going to release, which is something TT and the Packers didn't get for Sitton or Callahan.

On a less salty side, I am happy to have another body in the backfield. While I don't expect much from Davis initially, given the backfield he was stuck behind in K.C. he may just have some untapped talent.

Will be interesting to see who will be released today, Abby?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams was released by the Bills after reportedly showing up to training camp out of shape. After what happened with Lacy last season there's no reason to add another running back having trouble to keep a soecific weight to the roster.

Like I said, another fat running back lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts