Packers trade Damarious Randall to Browns

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I dont doubt the part about the Vets but I wonder when that happened, was this during the season or after the season? Was this right after he walked off the field or did this come later?

As for him being a "head case" he's had some inconsistency influenced by his injuries and lord knows that he hasn't come across as very mature, see him walking off the field, but head case? I haven't heard enough to suggest that he's in say Brandon Underwood territory, Ie pushing his wife out of a moving car or bringing strippers to a condo shared with teammates and then refusing to pay them. Or that he's in that territory with the players who typically earn that phrase. Guys like Moss Rison in particular constantly had little annecdotes bubbling out in the press, Randall seems almost muted in comparison.

I don’t think a guy has to be a criminal to be totally out of touch, mentally.

My understanding is that the request to release Randall came mid-season.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting someone better from Day 1 who has never played an NFL snap? Let me tell you about the birds the bees and the NFL draft.

History dictates the following, even with good D&D teams if we draft two CBs in the first 2 rounds odds are that one of them will suck.

BTW For the love of God please do not draft Josh Jackson at 14. It'll take me back to when we drafted Dix at 23.

They're going to sign at least 1 veteran, and I'm sure bring in more than that.

House is a vet, Rollins has been there a couple years... with some good coaching, I think both those guys can contribute.

Seriously, I don't think it can overstated how incredibly bad Dom Capers and most of that defensive staff were.

Running them out of town, finally, will be a breath of fresh air for the guys on that side of the ball - and running Randall and his lousy attitude out of town is part of that equation.

I fully expect our defense to at least resemble an NFL defense this year. After years of having to endure that imbecile Capers - things can only improve.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins is purely a slot guy who can't stay healthy for more than a couple games a year. House is inconsistent, he'd be ok if we had better safety play, does anyone remember the last time one of our safeties helped out on a sideline pass and actually broke it up? King showed promise but was hurt and has struggled with shoulder problems throughout College. Hawkins has talent but struggles under the lights and Whitehead and Pipkins are scrappy but lack athleticism. This isn't a group that inspires confidence. In FA Corners tend to be pretty expensive.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins is purely a slot guy who can't stay healthy for more than a couple games a year. House is inconsistent, he'd be ok if we had better safety play, does anyone remember the last time one of our safeties helped out on a sideline pass and actually broke it up? King showed promise but was hurt and has struggled with shoulder problems throughout College. Hawkins has talent but struggles under the lights and Whitehead and Pipkins are scrappy but lack athleticism. This isn't a group that inspires confidence. In FA Corners tend to be pretty expensive.

Well, we need a "slot guy", lol...

Under Capers, the corners only had to attempt to cover and play for the pick (both of which most of them sucked at too).

Tackling, playing zone with some intelligence and instincts, blitzing, forcing the edge??? Capers had no use for any of those skills...

I think Rollins, with some decent coaching, can be a valuable nickel and dime package guy.

Don't think he was ever put in the right position to succeed - and I put all of that blame on Capers. Thank God that idiot has finally been run out of town!!!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we need a "slot guy", lol...

Under Capers, the corners only had to attempt to cover and play for the pick (both of which most of them sucked at too).

Tackling, playing zone with some intelligence and instincts, blitzing, forcing the edge??? Capers had no use for any of those skills...

I think Rollins, with some decent coaching, can be a valuable nickel and dime package guy.

Don't think he was ever put in the right position to succeed - and I put all of that blame on Capers. Thank God that idiot has finally been run out of town!!!

Rollins has flashed ability in limited roles but the guy just can't stay on the field. This is his make or break year this season.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davon House was only on a one year deal, he's a free agent.
Wasn't sure if he was under contract... looked at what was supposed to be an updated roster and he was still on it, so I assumed he was.

Regardless, there is a pretty decent talent pool of FA CB's out there this year. Top tier talent, mid-level guys... Packers should land at least one guy, whom I'm sure will be an upgrade over Randall.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

No, that's not a consideration b/c the player you're getting rid of is a well below average player.

The Packers aren't going to stand pat. FA is just beginng, we're still weeks out from the draft...

Getting Randall off the roster was a plus all the way around.

As I've mentioned repeatedly it would be smart to wait until at least after the draft to fairly evaluate the roster. It doesn't make any sense to analyze this trade in a vacuum though therefore the talent level remaining at cornerback has to be considered. That means losing Randall definitely isn't a plus by any means.

But...but...why would we trade Hundley when we don't know if Kizer is better?!

And you can guess that Kizer is better, but don't you guarantee it, even when it's obvious our coaching staff and GM think he is.

:rolleyes: Hundley is still on the roster. Stop acting as if you have been proven correct.

You keep saying that but would you feel a whole lot better if we still had Randall? I wouldn't. A little better perhaps but not nearly enough that I wouldn't consider CB a major problem area. We can probably draft a CB with both of those draft picks we upgraded and odds are we get someone better, maybe from day 1. I do not think it will be difficult to replace Randall so we really don't need to do that much more than we needed to do before.

I would have definitely felt way better if the Packers had improved the talent level at cornerback before trading Randall to the Browns as it's definitely not as easy as you suggested to replace a starter, even an average one like him. Gutekunst having to address the position after the team spent their first pick in the draft on it twice over the last three years should work as evidence for it.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand this move whatsoever. Unless Brees was backing up Rodgers, the season is over regardless ( Pending Rodgers gets hurt). The front office believes the worst QB in the league, not wanted by the worst franchise in sports btw, is better than a guy who showed flashes of being good?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't understand this move whatsoever. Unless Brees was backing up Rodgers, the season is over regardless ( Pending Rodgers gets hurt). The front office believes the worst QB in the league, not wanted by the worst franchise in sports btw, is better than a guy who showed flashes of being good?

Wait... the Packers were still in contention when Rodgers came back, and that was with the league’s worst QB play over that stretch. Why would you say that there’s no hope unless a guy like Brees is backing him up? Has the backup play been merely mediocre, the Packers win another game or two over that span and make the playoffs.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Wait... the Packers were still in contention when Rodgers came back, and that was with the league’s worst QB play over that stretch. Why would you say that there’s no hope unless a guy like Brees is backing him up? Has the backup play been merely mediocre, the Packers win another game or two over that span and make the playoffs.

You might have to consider that the three teams the Packers beat with Hundley combined to win 10 games last season. It's possible having a better backup quarterback wouldn't have resulted in another win.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You might have to consider that the three teams the Packers beat with Hundley combined to win 10 games last season. It's possible having a better backup quarterback wouldn't have resulted in another win.

I would offer the NO game as an example of one where it definitely would have. The running game carried the offense in the first half and the defense picked Brees twice. Hundley was sub 50% for like 97 yards and pick or something like that. He kept giving the Saints the ball back until the defense caved in.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I would offer the NO game as an example of one where it definitely would have. The running game carried the offense in the first half and the defense picked Brees twice. Hundley was sub 50% for like 97 yards and pick or something like that. He kept giving the Saints the ball back until the defense caved in.

While it's possible the Packers would have won that game with a better backup quarterback there's no doubt in my mind the team hasn't enough overall talent on the roster to content without elite play at the position.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While it's possible the Packers would have won that game with a better backup quarterback there's no doubt in my mind the team hasn't enough overall talent on the roster to content without elite play at the position.

I’m not talking about contending for a championship without Rodgers. Just keeping the season afloat should he miss a chunk of time.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I’m not talking about contending for a championship without Rodgers. Just keeping the season afloat should he miss a chunk of time.

That would be way easier if the overall talent level on the roster would be improved this offseason.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That would be way easier if the overall talent level on the roster would be improved this offseason.

That has to be a focus of course. But if they should lose Rodgers for a spell again and their QB play is what Hundley gave them, what’s the point?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That has to be a focus of course. But if they should lose Rodgers for a spell again and their QB play is what Hundley gave them, what’s the point?

Agreed, hopefully Kizer provides an upgrade over Hundley.

It would have been tough for any backup quarterback to win more games with a roster lacking overall talent like the Packers' one last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed, hopefully Kizer provides an upgrade over Hundley.

It would have been tough for any backup quarterback to win more games with a roster lacking overall talent like the Packers' one last season.

As you well know, I don’t think the Packers roster was a devoid of talent as you do. The offensive compliments, for one, were all above average.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would argue we were never really a contender... a contender for what?? To make the playoffs?? So what, it's not like we were going anywhere even with Rodgers under center - with that defense there's no doubt we would have been bounced.

Kizer has more long-range potential than Hundley; Randall wasn't a very good player and an overall detriment to the team; and, we improved our draft position...

This was a very good trade

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The offensive compliments, for one, were all above average.

That was definitely not true for the tight end position last season. It's up for debate whether that statement is correct for the rest of the offense.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As you well know, I don’t think the Packers roster was a devoid of talent as you do. The offensive compliments, for one, were all above average.
I have my doubts about this WR group. Davante was the only standout without Rodgers. I understand it was Hundley throwing the ball, but all of the other guys has effectively zero impact.

We need another big time talent opposite of Davante outside the numbers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That was definitely not true for the tight end position last season. It's up for debate whether that statement is correct for the rest of the offense.

Running game, pass catchers, and OL all above average in my opinion.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have my doubts about this WR group. Davante was the only standout without Rodgers. I understand it was Hundley throwing the ball, but all of the other guys has effectively zero impact.

We need another big time talent opposite of Davante outside the numbers.

I know Nelson and Cobb are not what they once were, but judging them based on what they did with Hundley is misguided in my opinion.

With Rodgers, Nelson was leading the league in touchdowns. With Hundley, he was a 3 yard screen “weapon.” I don’t think either of those outcomes is an accurate reflection of who he is at this point.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly it would be smart to wait until at least after the draft to fairly evaluate the roster. It doesn't make any sense to analyze this trade in a vacuum though therefore the talent level remaining at cornerback has to be considered. That means losing Randall definitely isn't a plus by any means.

It seems to me what you have been mentioning repeatedly is that the talent level at CB without Randall is apalling. That sure sounds like evaluating the roster to me. Pretty much the opposite of what you just said.

Reaction score
I would have definitely felt way better if the Packers had improved the talent level at cornerback before trading Randall to the Browns

I think many of us were uneasy about seeing this move. I know I was initially. I inadvertently woke my wife up and remember her saying “what’s wrong?” If that gives you any indication. Lol

That being said, I don’t think this decision was put into play without some well thought out plans about how to remedy his departure.

One of the positive things this year is I believe Pettine has more input than most DCs as to what he needs to improve this pass rush and I think he is fully respected and trusted in that input. Look at what former head coach Dom Capers accomplished out of the gate as a DC. From my own personal experience I believe a portion of that was because their was a focus on that new system and better communication in his early days. People work harder when competition first comes in, it’s as natural as when you try to pass a slow person on the highway and they speed up and don’t allow you to pass.
I also believe there are more CBs out there that are prospects that us layman are even aware of. Heck which one of us would’ve guessed a trade for D Randall??

In short, We’re not even close to being done. The longer we wait the less the price we pay as a rule. We won’t leave any stone unturned. Sure we’re going to miss that 15M/yr CB but We can get 3 Randall’s types in FA with better press, more discipline and less ego than Demarious for that kinda bread.
I think we’ll see minimum 1 FA signing at CB (possibly 2) and 2 more in the draft. Possibly even 1 at #14, #45 or a trade up.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts