Packers to use Cobb on PR, Harris on KR

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Churd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm... I figured Janis would get a look on kick and punt returns. I guess they don't trust him enough yet.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hmm... I figured Janis would get a look on kick and punt returns. I guess they don't trust him enough yet.

According to Shawn Slocum Janis is in the picture for both return jobs as well but as of right now #3 on the depth chart.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I heard that his long strides are not suited for punt returns as majority of the time you need small steps to maneuver better

Where as in ko return Janis would be more suited for that has more empty space when he catches the ball

Not sure if he will get the shot right away...may need more practice at it?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard that his long strides are not suited for punt returns as majority of the time you need small steps to maneuver better

Where as in ko return Janis would be more suited for that has more empty space when he catches the ball

Not sure if he will get the shot right away...may need more practice at it?
My guess would be to save a roster spot on the game day 46. He probably would only return, not play offense. Maybe a few weeks in he earns the trust.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starters play other special teams rolls also.

I think it's worth the risk.
Those other starters are not the "bullseye" on a punt return.
You say it's "worth the risk". I disagree.
Would you risk Aaron Rodgers as a punt returner? He's pretty agile running the football.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You don't have to play "scared" but you should play smart.

Well, injuries can happen during every single play. Cobb was sidelined for 10 weeks last season after suffered a broken fibula on a reception. I want to have the best players out there and Cobb is the best punt returner on the roster as of right now.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is obviously our best returner. But he also is a very valuable player, that I don't like to be injured. Hyde is a solid returner with great ball security, but he lacks the big playmaking ability on returns. Therefore I would use Cobb as returner in some games, but not in every game.

If you play versus a stout defense like Seattle one good special teams play might be huge. Therefore I would use Cobb versus Seattle. I would also use him in our divisional games (it is important to win those) and during the playoffs (obviously). On the other hand, I would play it smart versus some other opponents and don't risk the injury. If their defenses aren't very good, just trust Rodgers/Lacy to score the points and let Hyde handle the return duties.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb is obviously our best returner. But he also is a very valuable player, that I don't like to be injured. Hyde is a solid returner with great ball security, but he lacks the big playmaking ability on returns. Therefore I would use Cobb as returner in some games, but not in every game.

If you play versus a stout defense like Seattle one good special teams play might be huge. Therefore I would use Cobb versus Seattle. I would also use him in our divisional games (it is important to win those) and during the playoffs (obviously). On the other hand, I would play it smart versus some other opponents and don't risk the injury. If their defenses aren't very good, just trust Rodgers/Lacy to score the points and let Hyde handle the return duties.

Hyde is a vital part of the defense, an injury to him would have a negative impact on our secondary. I´d rather risk having the best player out there on punt returns.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, injuries can happen during every single play. Cobb was sidelined for 10 weeks last season after suffered a broken fibula on a reception. I want to have the best players out there and Cobb is the best punt returner on the roster as of right now.
Cobb may be the best chance to take one all the way, but that is a fairly rare ocurrance.
I'm guessing here, but the average punt return is probably under 10 yards.
If you have a backup like Janis (or anyone else) that can reliably field punts, why risk your 2nd best WR?

Perhaps MM doesn't have the confidence that anyone else can reliably field a punt.
At any rate I don't likew it.
That is all.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb may be the best chance to take one all the way, but that is a fairly rare ocurrance.
I'm guessing here, but the average punt return is probably under 10 yards.
If you have a backup like Janis (or anyone else) that can reliably field punts, why risk your 2nd best WR?

Perhaps MM doesn't have the confidence that anyone else can reliably field a punt.
At any rate I don't likew it.
That is all.

It´s possible Janis won´t be active on game day and teams don´t want to spend a roster on a guy returning punts or kicks only. Last year the Packers averaged 11.3 yards on 30 punt returns (if you take away Hyde´s 93 yard TD the average would drop to 8.5).

I understand your concern about Cobb getting injured while returning punts, but as we´ve seen last year it´s possible he can get injured playing receiver as well and he´s the best option at PR.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those other starters are not the "bullseye" on a punt return.
You say it's "worth the risk". I disagree.
Would you risk Aaron Rodgers as a punt returner? He's pretty agile running the football.

You're pushing it with the comparison to Rodgers. We all know what losing him does compared to losing other guys.

I'd rather put the best team out there without being afraid of injuries.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde is a vital part of the defense, an injury to him would have a negative impact on our secondary. I´d rather risk having the best player out there on punt returns.

Well I don't want to lose either player, but I think losing Cobb hurts us more. First I like Hasean Clinton-Dix better than Davante Adams. Also an injury to Cobb would hurt our screen game, which is a big part of our offense.

Moreover Hyde is a solid return option. He doens't take one to the house, but he is a smart guy with great ball security. He just takes what the kicking team gives him. So yeah, I would use Hyde (or Janis) against weaker opponents to protect Cobb. I would still use Cobb as returner in our must win games though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well I don't want to lose either player, but I think losing Cobb hurts us more. First I like Hasean Clinton-Dix better than Davante Adams. Also an injury to Cobb would hurt our screen game, which is a big part of our offense.

Moreover Hyde is a solid return option. He doens't take one to the house, but he is a smart guy with great ball security. He just takes what the kicking team gives him. So yeah, I would use Hyde (or Janis) against weaker opponents to protect Cobb. I would still use Cobb as returner in our must win games though.

It seems we have to agree to disagree on this topic. BTW I consider every game a must win game. ;)

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider every game a must win game. ;)

Yes and No! Every game is important, but some games are more important. Division games are not only win/lose, but a win is also a loss for your direct competition for the playoffs spots. Moreover those games are important for the tiebreakers. Therefore I call these games must-win games.

I would like to win in Seattle because it might be an important game to win home-field advantage in January (I know it is premature, but I think is quite likely that the Packers and Seahawks finish with similar records. I think that the Seahawks have a better team, but they also have a tougher schedule). I'd rather play at Lambeau field than at Century Link Field in January. Plus, winning your first game would give a huge mental boost.

Members online

Latest posts