Packers to sign veteran receiver/Boykin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/201...y-ross-ty-montgomery-fantasy-football-packers

I came across this suggesting that the Packers are expected to sign Boykin and it cites Silverstein as his source. After following the link Silversteins' article was a lot more vague, just suggesting at one point that it was likely that they would add a veteran and listed Boykin, Ross, and Jones as possibilities. Anyone else seeing anything that actually substantiates that we are planning to sign Boykin?

Megatron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard you guys just signed ex-Lions WR and former 2nd round pick Ryan Broyles.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/201...y-ross-ty-montgomery-fantasy-football-packers

I came across this suggesting that the Packers are expected to sign Boykin and it cites Silverstein as his source. After following the link Silversteins' article was a lot more vague, just suggesting at one point that it was likely that they would add a veteran and listed Boykin, Ross, and Jones as possibilities. Anyone else seeing anything that actually substantiates that we are planning to sign Boykin?

Boykin was a major disappointment last season, I have a hard time believing the Packers are interested in bringing him back.

Megatron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, no source yet, my friend told me about it. He is usually always right about these things. He says he saw it on twitter(I don't have a twitter account, I don't know if it's something you can easily hop on twitter and see or not).

I think he would be a perfect fit for the Packers. Do you guys know much about him?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sorry, no source yet, my friend told me about it. He is usually always right about these things. He says he saw it on twitter(I don't have a twitter account, I don't know if it's something you can easily hop on twitter and see or not).

I think he would be a perfect fit for the Packers. Do you guys know much about him?

Can we have Megatron instead? PLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEE! :tup:

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not a lot. Isn't he more of a slot guy than an outside receiver though? He's a talent, just not sure we need another slot guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wasn't able to find any tweet suggesting he has signed with the Packers. With Broyles mostly being a slot receiver I would be surprised if Thompson would add him to the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just Tweeted that the Packers traded Masthay for Megatron.....get ready.....:coffee:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broyles = L ACL 2011, R ACL 2012, and Achilles tendon rupture 2013 in last 4 years. I suspect he's lost a step or 2.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I just Tweeted that the Packers traded Masthay for Megatron.....get ready.....:coffee:
This has nothing to do with your post but the smilie you used. Here's a couple of questions for you and anyone else who cares to chime in: Why is that smilie named "coffee"? What are you trying to convey by using it? (As you can see, these are super-serious questions.)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with your post but the smilie you used. Here's a couple of questions for you and anyone else who cares to chime in: Why is that smilie named "coffee"? What are you trying to convey by using it? (As you can see, these are super-serious questions.)

I kind of use the "smiley coffee emoticon" to signify that I am saying something a bit tongue in cheek and sitting back (sipping coffee) and waiting for a reaction. Just my use of it, others may offer up their own thoughts of its use.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broyles = L ACL 2011, R ACL 2012, and Achilles tendon rupture 2013 in last 4 years. I suspect he's lost a step or 2.
i suspect anything he did have was due to PED's or he has used far too many cortisone injections in his short life

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Must be true then. A friend who is usually always right read something on twitter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
twitter needs to blow up and die. I can't think of a more useless pile of **** system frequently used in this world. He "tweeted it" must be news and true.

Get off your computer, build a relationship with real players, coaches, execs and get me a story. freaking twitter...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i suspect anything he did have was due to PED's or he has used far too many cortisone injections in his short life
Doubt it. The kid signed a multimillion dollar rookie contract and immediately hired a finance guy who advised him to invest and get by on $60,000 per year. Seems to me he's got his head screwed on straight. It wouldn't hurt to take a look at him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt it. The kid signed a multimillion dollar rookie contract and immediately hired a finance guy who advised him to invest and get by on $60,000 per year. Seems to me he's got his head screwed on straight. It wouldn't hurt to take a look at him.
I could see one acl as just a normal part of doing business, the other the next year ? Just bad luck, poor rehab? Sure. A torn Achilles the next? Too much cortisone or too many PEDs, either way his body seems shot already

H

HardRightEdge

Not a lot. Isn't he more of a slot guy than an outside receiver though? He's a talent, just not sure we need another slot guy.
From what I've read, it's the opposite. Broyles requested the Lions waive him because he was stuck behind Megatron and Tate at wideout, and the Lions were happy to comply.

I find this report implausible if the idea is to sign a guy to get meaningful playing time before the season grows some whiskers. Broyles missed much of his three seasons with two ACLs and then an Achilles and has not seen much NFL playing time. Further, the time to learn the system and build chemistry has now passed for this season.

Now, if the Packers are going to carry 6 WRs, which is quite plausible since there are only 2 WRs on the roster with any meaningful experience, with competition and trial-and-error working it's way into the early season games, bringing Bryoles in as a #6 to start out as what amounts to a developmental player is more plausible, not different than keeping Janis on the roster last year when he was not going to get playing time.

Considering those injuries, however, the first order of business would be to work him and out to see if he's the same athlete he was in college, if he was to be on the radar at all which is suspect to start with.

It would stand to reason, with all of the developmental WRs already filling 3 spots, a guy who is more seasoned who can get in sync with the system sooner would be considered, if at all. Then it comes down to money and fit. A Peprah-for-Burnett or a Howard Green emergency fill-in type seems more plausible, if anything.

The best argument for Broyles-to-the-Packers would be if the upside of the #4 - #6 candidates has now been pegged as not prime time, which is certainly possible, not as some kind of plug-and-play player.

D

Deleted member 6794

From what I've read, it's the opposite. Broyles requested the Lions waive him because he was stuck behind Megatron and Tate at wideout, and the Lions were happy to comply.

At 5-10 and 188 pounds I have a hard time believing he's best suited to play outside. During his three-year stint with the Lions he ran 64.1% of his routes from the slot.

H

HardRightEdge

At 5-10 and 188 pounds I have a hard time believing he's best suited to play outside. During his three-year stint with the Lions he ran 64.1% of his routes from the slot.
It just goes to show how stats can be deceiving. Perhaps he got more snaps at slot because he was behind those other guys and they wanted to put their second round investment to the test, but in the final analysis didn't believe he demonstrated what Detroit wanted in the slot position?

I didn't make this up, by the way. While I can't find the Mayhew quote at the moment, I repeated what he said. Detroit saw Broyles in the Tate-mold, the guy he was stuck behind.

You'll also see the press saying the same thing, including one observation that Broyles has not shown himself to be a YAC receiver, which is a chief qualification in the slot. At least those reports are toward the top of the google search.

Status
Not open for further replies.