Packers to sign veteran receiver/Boykin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broyles lined up outside while at Oklahoma.

D

Deleted member 6794

It just goes to show how stats can be deceiving.

Detroit saw Broyles in the Tate-mold, the guy he was stuck behind.

You'll also see the press saying the same thing, including one observation that Broyles has not shown himself to be a YAC receiver, which is a chief qualification in the slot.

Broyles doesn't have the necessary speed in combination with his body type to play outside and was seen primarily seen as a slot receiver entering the season.

Observations without taking the facts into consideration can often be deceiving as well. Over the last three season Broyles has averaged 6.3 yards after catch compared to Cobb's 6.2.

H

HardRightEdge

Broyles doesn't have the necessary speed in combination with his body type to play outside and was seen primarily seen as a slot receiver entering the season.

Observations without taking the facts into consideration can often be deceiving as well. Over the last three season Broyles has averaged 6.3 yards after catch compared to Cobb's 6.2.
You can say what you want, but that was not Detroit's take. If they were trying him at slot, it's because he would not be playing elsewhere while testing out their considerable investment at a need position. I think I already said that.

Given the small sample size in the YAC stats, I'd be more inclined to believe credible observers who have applied the eye test in the absence of my own. I presume you've not seen all of his snaps, right? I see where Boyles had a 40 yard catch in his rookie year, accounting for nearly 10% of his career yards. Are you sure that wasn't some wide open short route that might have jacked the YAC based on one play? I have no idea, and it really doesn't matter, but goes to show the problem with a small sample size.

If you want to say a guy who came into the league with route running and hands credentials coupled with small stature while lacking quite the athleticism of an Antonio Brown (or the small Tate for that matter) is not ideally suited to the outside, I'd buy that, if that's in fact what an un-injured version of Broyles would look like.

On the other hand, among the chief qualifications of a slot receiver is durability and the ability to take hits in the danger zone. Broyles injury history argues against that. As for the other chief qualification in the slot...short distance quickness...I can't speak to that because I've not seen him play.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Or let's consider Abbrederis. Good routes, good hands, quick out his breaks. While he's 6'1", his vertical was only 30 1/2", significantly shortening his effective height. Is he a slot receiver? Of course not. He's slight of build, and so far has proven injury prone, if the reports of multiple concussions in college have some merit.

But if the Packers play him, it will be outside...routes and hands take precedence.

D

Deleted member 6794

You can say what you want, but that was not Detroit's take. If they were trying him at slot, it's because he would not be playing elsewhere while testing out their considerable investment at a need position. I think I already said that.

During the first two seasons of Broyles' stint in Detroit the Lions lined up guys like Nate Burleson, Titus Young or Kris Durham opposite Calvin. If the coaching staff would have seen him as a wideout they would have played on the boundaries more often. BTW if he was stuck behind Tate on the drpth chart last season that would be another indication that they planned on playing him in the slot as Tate lined up almost 60% of the time there.

Given the small sample size in the YAC stats, I'd be more inclined to believe credible observers who have applied the eye test in the absence of my own. I presume you've not seen all of his snaps, right?

Of course I haven't seen him play a lot, that's why I rather trust the facts than believe a random article.

Cwoodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/201...y-ross-ty-montgomery-fantasy-football-packers

I came across this suggesting that the Packers are expected to sign Boykin and it cites Silverstein as his source. After following the link Silversteins' article was a lot more vague, just suggesting at one point that it was likely that they would add a veteran and listed Boykin, Ross, and Jones as possibilities. Anyone else seeing anything that actually substantiates that we are planning to sign Boykin?
I wouldn't want Boykin back. He displayed a poor attitude last year and lost playing time because of it.

Sky King

Reaction score
No to Boykin. Maybe to Jones, but only after week-one has passed. Anybody else? No thanks for all the playbook considerations that others above have so astutely listed.

Abbredaris? Interesting prospect. He's smart, gets separation and, unfortunately, he also gets hurt too much and too easily. Maybe he and/or White are truly on the bubble until the suspended players rejoin the roster. The silver-lining to those suspensions is that certain players will get an extended audition during something other than a practice or glorified practice session (preseason game). This circumstance may present additional opportunity for these two. The two or three who backfill the temporary vacancies may not necessarily be extra DLs (or possibly a TE depending upon what happens with Quarless). What better means of deciding the final receiver spot than by witnessing the contrast in performances between practices and the true NFL game situations. Which will best respond to the pressure? STs participation may also be a factor.

It will be fun to watch if it shakes-out this way. If not I wish one, the other (or both) nothing but the best.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or let's consider Abbrederis. Good routes, good hands, quick out his breaks. While he's 6'1", his vertical was only 30 1/2", significantly shortening his effective height. Is he a slot receiver? Of course not. He's slight of build, and so far has proven injury prone, if the reports of multiple concussions in college have some merit.

But if the Packers play him, it will be outside...routes and hands take precedence.

Abbrederis was mostly considered a slot receiver coming out of college. While his durability is a major concern it doesn't change that his talent best fits playing inside.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think what only matters in these situations is what the Packers coaches and Ted thinks..

not matter what WE here at PF think doesnt matter

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones was released by the Giants. ..it just makes too much sense for us not to do, doesn't it?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
please please please come back JJ! no replacing Jordy, not even close, but a familiar target that knows the system, plays hard and well, already has chemistry with the qb, and is loved by the community... would be so happy to see him back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The player in place to "take Jordy's place" is Adams. The #3 WR would take Adams' spot from last season, etc. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest Jones would replace Jordy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts