Packers To Murder The Cowboys In Big D This Year, Elliot Suspended

H

HardRightEdge

Also btw, I'll give Goodell props this time because he actually did not act alone as judge, jury and executioner. That article I pointed out mentions he consulted about 4 different independent judicial counsels.
Besides have engaged consultants I'm sure he heard out Jerry Jones' arguments.

The league office has the final say. In a matter such as this, that means Goodell. The CBA granted him dictatorship in these matters. Even dictators seek counsel. In the modern era they even operate under constitutions. The only thing that differentiates Goodell from a dictator is he cannot rig a vote to change his. That's not a criticism, though. It's what the players voted for.

In short, within the confines of the CBA, which gives him broad latitude in such matters, he is judge, jury and executioner regardless of how many consultants he chooses to pay.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want tight adherence to the "on topic" policy you've clearly come to the wrong place. Every discussion of any length around here rambles, not just the ones you might not like. Every once in while a moderator gets persnickety, but that's about it. But you have nearly 1,000 posts under your belt, so I'm telling you something you already know.

you get a like just for using the word persnickety

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are patriots, many of whom ultimately gave their lives to preserve freedom of speech as well as the other freedoms defined by the Constitution. They bravely laid their lives on the line, including for those who somehow feel entitled to be the beneficiaries of what those great sacrifices helped to preserve and protect.

However, in a very direct way Kaepernick's protests have proven that their sacrifices have not been in vain. Kaepernick's critics have every right to freely express their opinions, as well. The ultimate irony is that vocal patriots, vocal cowards, and persons of every stripe and cause are guaranteed the right of free speech under the very same Article of the Constitution.

Several years back my cousin's husband was getting ready to leave for a deployment overseas. I'm not sure where it was but he was an officer with the army rangers. His daughter missed his leaving because she was in Washington protesting the war. She sent him a text basically saying I love you and pray for you to be safe but you know how I feel about this war and why I have to do this and he texted her back and said that is why I am going so you can do what you feel you have to do. I love you but don't forget that.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides have engaged consultants I'm sure he heard out Jerry Jones' arguments.

The league office has the final say. In a matter such as this, that means Goodell. The CBA granted him dictatorship in these matters. Even dictators seek counsel. In the modern era they even operate under constitutions. The only thing that differentiates Goodell from a dictator is he cannot rig a vote to change his. That's not a criticism, though. It's what the players voted for.

In short, within the confines of the CBA, which gives him broad latitude in such matters, he is judge, jury and executioner regardless of how many consultants he chooses to pay.

True, but I still think it's a step up because Goodell didn't seek counsel in the 2012 bountygate case or conduct any investigation there. He simply randomly handed out a punishment based on hearsay and in that event committed outright libel against 12 players in that case. I believe this time he finally got it right by looking into real investigations and actually getting legal advice based on what Elliott actually did.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with the US Court of Appeals already ruling in Goodell's favor and the unlikelihood that this particular case would make it up to the Supreme Court, I'm banking Elliot and his lawyers are not going to waste time and money going through this circus. Given that this is ESPN, FS1 and the NFL's new gold mine for the offseason, the debate will go on on talk radio and ESPN's shows as to whether or not this whole penalty and what not is just, but to me where the Federal govt's involvement in all this is concerned the precedent was pretty much set in stone now with the Brady case. It's a case of the personal conduct policy taking root over the actual legal criminal/civil justice process, and it's not about simply one single event, it's a series of events that have been going on for what ... like a year now? I'd like to think that's the big thing is that because this isn't some isolated incident he got into, it's why it's going 6 games.

Also btw, I'll give Goodell props this time because he actually did not act alone as judge, jury and executioner. That article I pointed out mentions he consulted about 4 different independent judicial counsels.
Yep, the precedent has been set by the higher courts in the Brady case. I believe any lawyer advising Elliot or the Cowboys would tell them that they can't win in a court of law. The Players agreed to give Goodell the power to do just what he did. The only way to change it would be a new collective bargaining agreement. Still, Elliot may get his penalty reduced at the NFL level.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say most. I said 30%.

Anyway, I think you missed the point. He wasn't protesting the national anthem. He was protesting during the national anthem.

As with Elliot, what K. was protesting happened to be on tape, and the tape don't lie.

You can disagree if you like, but you first have to understand what you are disagreeing with.

Whether it's K. taking a knee, Smith and Carlos raising the black power salute in 1968, or somebody burning a flag or raising it upside down in the Vietnam protests, they are not protesting the anthem, the flag or against the country unless they happen to be revolutionaries espousing government overthrow. Of course nowadays that's the of white militias..

In these examples the individuals are are protesting against powers that have, in their opinion, corrupted the meaning of those symbols through injustice.

So, in that light, carry on.

"More like 30%, and some large portion of that 30% harbor racial animus."

ok.

"He was protesting during the national anthem."

ok. yeah. i'm sure it had to do with racism.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On another note, Elliott or not ... I think the Cowboys LB core are going to be a lot weaker this year and we got 2 big TEs we can use to get downfield blocking that might spring Montgomery for a few 20 plus yarders on them. This is the underrated part about owning 2 big TEs is their ability to spring RBs.

I say Packers 37 Cowboys 13 is what we got cranking here.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Gentlemen and others:
Content We Do NOT Allow Here:
There are a couple of topics that we DO NOT allow here under any circumstances. The following topics will be closed immediately and the users warned; politics, religion, racism and ****** preference. There are PLENTY of other sites around the Internet for users to talk about these topics. This is NOT one of those sites.
Try to keep the Kapernick discussion out of here and take it to the asylum.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really having trouble predicting this game. They destroyed us last year in Lambeau, but we beat them when it counted, barely. I tend to think that since we've eliminated them in the playoffs twice and it's in Dallas, they will want to get revenge. But their defense has lost some people, and now this Ezekiel Elliott thing, I'm not sure who to predict.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt the suspension will go 6 games. Jerry Jones will tell Goodell to shorten it to 4 games or less so that the Cowboys have a fresh Elliot to go against the Packers.
I'm hoping they stand pat with the 6 game suspension in feeling that there is too much negotiating is going on with these suspensions. We'll see.

mongoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really having trouble predicting this game. They destroyed us last year in Lambeau, but we beat them when it counted, barely. I tend to think that since we've eliminated them in the playoffs twice and it's in Dallas, they will want to get revenge. But their defense has lost some people, and now this Ezekiel Elliott thing, I'm not sure who to predict.

Hopefully, Dak struggles without zeke. Our O, HOPEFULLY, tears their D apart. Which they should!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think his loss will affect them much. they've got two good backs to take his place. they still have a good o-line. dez may be a one-trick pony but they still have witten and cole beasley who no one seems to be able to cover. they'll be fine on the o side of the ball.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think his loss will affect them much. they've got two good backs to take his place. they still have a good o-line. dez may be a one-trick pony but they still have witten and cole beasley who no one seems to be able to cover. they'll be fine on the o side of the ball.

Actually their o-line has gotten worse and teams are gonna be pinning their ears back and coming after Prescott

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Skip and Shannon are having a funny debate right now about this. Too funny, and I rarely ever watch Undisputed, but this is funny stuff today.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Food for thought: If this forum doesn't want to tolerate political discussion, why would an NFL team?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Food for thought: If this forum doesn't want to tolerate political discussion, why would an NFL team?

Well, NFL teams' athletes are being paid to go out and focus on football during practice in the week, and leave it all out on the line during Sunday games. They are not getting paid to express viewpoints, though whether they do ... well I guess that's their choice. You could say maybe Charles Woodson did in a sense when he talked about going to see President Obama in the 2010 NFC Championship postgame speech after beating the bears and then later explained more about his political stance in another interview. But his business was football and I'm most certain he made his ideology a secondary issue and laid it all on the line at the Don Hutson Center during the week, and then brought it all to Lambeau Field on Sunday. That's the way it should be.

If I'm coming to Lambeau on Sunday, the last thing on my mind is what the guy sitting next to me believes and I'm probably not interested in what his political ideology is. I'm just hoping he's as passionate about the Packers as I am and ready to scream and cheer as loud for the team as his lungs permit.

I consider this forum an extension of Lambeau Field. Here to support 1 thing and 1 alone ... The Green Bay Packers.

Sky King

Reaction score
Several years back my cousin's husband was getting ready to leave for a deployment overseas. I'm not sure where it was but he was an officer with the army rangers. His daughter missed his leaving because she was in Washington protesting the war. She sent him a text basically saying I love you and pray for you to be safe but you know how I feel about this war and why I have to do this and he texted her back and said that is why I am going so you can do what you feel you have to do. I love you but don't forget that.
We can always hope for an easier way out a crisis. Unfortunately, the other side has to see it that way, too. Answering the call to duty is what true patriots do. A salute and a huge thank-you to the Ranger.

Members online

Latest posts