Packers To Murder The Cowboys In Big D This Year, Elliot Suspended

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I generally agree with that assessment. I would add that Kaepernick's protest was during the "National Anthem" not the "Armed Forces Medley". Those who took umbrage at Kaepernick's protest as a "disrespect for the military" had no idea what this was about or, for that matter, that the national character is not defined by the military. Or more accurately, supposing such disrespect was an intentional diversion from the issue at hand.
I know there are employers that would not like employees to be political activists. My employer certainly would not like me publicly protesting. We have the right to protest and employers have the right to not hire such lightning rods.

H

HardRightEdge

I know there are employers that would not like employees to be political activists. My employer certainly would not like me publicly protesting. We have the right to protest and employers have the right to not hire such lightning rods.
I said nothing about the employer. I was talking about the fans. If they want to tune out, that's their business and I could care less, but if they did so because of "disrespect for the military" it was under false pretenses..

If nobody wants to hire him now, that's their prerogative, unless of course there was collusion to blackball him. If Kaepernick did not grasp the risks and is now embittered at not getting hired by anybody, then he did not understand that expressing unpopular opinions to a broad audience, no matter how genuine, principled or justified, have consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said nothing about the employer. I was talking about the fans. If they want to tune out, that's their business and I could care less, but if they did so because of "disrespect for the military" it was under false pretenses..

If nobody wants to hire him now, that's their prerogative, unless of course there was collusion to blackball him. If Kaepernick did not grasp the risks and is now embittered at not getting hired by anybody, then he did not understand than expressing unpopular opinions to a broad audience, no matter how genuine, principled or justified, have consequences.

Ahem, ummm fair point but neither Kaep nor political protests have anything to do with Elliot's suspension and the Packers beating the Cowboys.

H

HardRightEdge

Ahem, ummm fair point but neither Kaep nor political protests have anything to do with Elliot's suspension and the Packers beating the Cowboys.
If you want tight adherence to the "on topic" policy you've clearly come to the wrong place. Every discussion of any length around here rambles, not just the ones you might not like. Every once in while a moderator gets persnickety, but that's about it. But you have nearly 1,000 posts under your belt, so I'm telling you something you already know.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want tight adherence to the "on topic" policy you've clearly come to the wrong place. Every discussion of any length around here rambles, not just the ones you might not like. Every once in while a moderator gets persnickety, but that's about it. But you have nearly 1,000 posts under your belt, so I'm telling you something you already know.

I've seen it happen more than once in a while, so I figure as long as LTF and Poppa San know this thread isn't losing the Packer vs Cowboys backdrop in it, we good.

I suppose you could tie it all in by looking at Elliot's suspension as a ratings issue, but I tend to think it'll have zero affect on ratings period this season.

H

HardRightEdge

Did you ever serve in the military?
Fortunately not. I pulled a low lottery number when I turned 18, I was prepared to serve in Vietnam, then Nixon sharply curtailed the draft that year and took me off the hook from that sh*t show.

But that's not what this about, is it. The national anthem and protesting racial inequity have nothing to do with the military. Just because somebody says it is does not make it so. It would be not a little disingenuous one might say.

My general feeling is that given the wars fought in my lifetime I have great sympathy for those who served. But if you have PTSD you should not be on a police force, period.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
said nothing about the employer. I was talking about the fans. If they want to tune out, that's their business and I could care less, but if they did so because of "disrespect for the military" it was under false pretenses..
I respect your opinion, but that's not how I see it.

H

HardRightEdge

I respect your opinion, but that's not how I see it.
I know that's not how some see it. While I always respect one's right to their opinion , I'd be lying if I said I respect some of those opinions themselves.

Not to dance around the subject, some of the anti-Kaepernick sentiment is racism wrapped in a flag. I'm not saying that's you. That would be ridiculously presumptuous. Everybody has to look into his own heart. But some rationales are just false.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if the NFL will shorten the suspension or not, but there's one thing I do know:

The traditional NFL market (male viewership) is fully saturated. There's zero population growth except for immigrants who only know soccer. The last domestic frontier is expanded female viewership, while the final frontier is international which is not getting much traction and has logistical issues to begin with. There may be some wink-and-nod from the NFL with regard to their employees who come to the game with a high predilection for violence, but when there's tape or a police report, and especially that tape, then they are going to come down hard.

They need women to buy more NFL stuff and watch more games. It's no nice-to-have; it's an imperative for growth.

Don't worry. I gotcha covered. :D

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, the ploy to market to more women on domestic soil could explain why Roger Goodell's been bringing in these ****ty Superbowl halftime shows with awful performers lately. It only makes sense.

Now back to the topic at hand ...

I'm not an LA Times fan as they got a pretty biased sports view, but this article sums it up pretty well

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-cowboys-elliott-suspension-20170811-story.html

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortunately not. I pulled a low lottery number when I turned 18, I was prepared to serve in Vietnam, then Nixon sharply curtailed the draft that year and took me off the hook from that sh*t show.

But that's not what this about, is it. The national anthem and protesting racial inequity have nothing to do with the military. Just because somebody says it is does not make it so. It would be not a little disingenuous one might say.

My general feeling is that given the wars fought in my lifetime I have great sympathy for those who served. But if you have PTSD you should not be on a police force, period.

I served in the U.S. Marine Corps on active duty for 8 years. I'd say you have no idea what military members think of the national flag or the national anthem. The national anthem is played while people face the U.S. flag, which is being held by U.S. service members. Disrespecting the national anthem disrespects the anthem, the flag, the military, and the country. In my opinion anyway. There's a million ways Kaepernick could have protested in way that wasn't so fundamentally offensive to 1/2 of the country. It didn't bother you so you don't see a big deal. That's your right. But don't be shocked that it angered a large segment of this country.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet plenty of service members are perfectly able to enjoy football and not be offended by an Americans right to peaceful protest. But hey, beat some ****ing women and well cheer our ***** of for you. Just don t take a knee LOL.

A large segment of this country are mad at everything. Just ask them, they'll tell you LOL.

Sky King

Reaction score
There are patriots, many of whom ultimately gave their lives to preserve freedom of speech as well as the other freedoms defined by the Constitution. They bravely laid their lives on the line, including for those who somehow feel entitled to be the beneficiaries of what those great sacrifices helped to preserve and protect.

However, in a very direct way Kaepernick's protests have proven that their sacrifices have not been in vain. Kaepernick's critics have every right to freely express their opinions, as well. The ultimate irony is that vocal patriots, vocal cowards, and persons of every stripe and cause are guaranteed the right of free speech under the very same Article of the Constitution.

H

HardRightEdge

I served in the U.S. Marine Corps on active duty for 8 years. I'd say you have no idea what military members think of the national flag or the national anthem. The national anthem is played while people face the U.S. flag, which is being held by U.S. service members. Disrespecting the national anthem disrespects the anthem, the flag, the military, and the country. In my opinion anyway. There's a million ways Kaepernick could have protested in way that wasn't so fundamentally offensive to 1/2 of the country. It didn't bother you so you don't see a big deal. That's your right. But don't be shocked that it angered a large segment of this country.
I'm sorry, but the military does not own the national anthem or the flag just because they claim it. Period. That's the way of military dictatorships. All it does is make the argument for "America the Beautiful".

I would not assume Kaepernick offended 50% of the country. More like 30%, and some large portion of that 30% harbor racial animus. Hell, probably 90% of the population don't even know the lyrics. And as to the topic at hand, a much lower number than that 30% stopped watching NFL football.

Could Kaepernick could have chosen some other venue to express his views? Sure. But he chose this one because he wanted to get people's attention. Now he pays the price.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Personally I can care less if he plays of not....this offense is gonna be lighting up the scoreboard every week, so the odds they even get a chance to run Elliot all game long while most likely trying to play catch up, are slim.

But IMO if ANYTHING, he'll get a game knocked off down to 5 games. Goodell needs to make a point here with Elliott because in only his 2nd year in the league he's already been in WAY too much trouble for such a marquee franchise in this league like Dallas. Think of it as Goodell saving Elliott from himself with this suspension. Maybe this will divert him off of the disastrous path that he's currently been on since he's been in this league.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the military does not own the national anthem or the flag just because they claim it.
Fair enough. But Kaepernick said he could not stand in pride for the country (because the country oppresses people of color). I can see military people taking that personally. Because if the country is not worth standing in pride for, then what was their sacrifice for, and what are they asked to die for? He's basically saying that the country is not worth standing for. That country includes everyone. I personally think he made a big mistake choosing this avenue of protest, and that choice of words.

Kaepernick also wore sock with pigs in police hats, and a shirt with Fidel Castro on it. Again, that might be offensive to some. It's certainly his right to protest, but it's not hard to see why teams don't want that distraction.

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the military does not own the national anthem or the flag just because they claim it. Period. That's the way of military dictatorships. All it does is make the argument for "America the Beautiful".

I would not assume Kaepernick offended 50% of the country. More like 30%, and some large portion of that 30% harbor racial animus. Hell, probably 90% of the population don't even know the lyrics. And as to the topic at hand, a much lower number than that 30% stopped watching NFL football.

Could Kaepernick could have chosen some other venue to express his views? Sure. But he chose this one because he wanted to get people's attention. Now he pays the price.

Racism? LOL Now it's racism's fault that made most people feel offended or angered at Kaep's protesting of the national anthem? I had a feeling it would go in that direction. Since we are all speculating it could be argued that Kaep had his own racist agenda. Speaking of which, you know who I respect in times of adversity? Jesse Owens who saluted America on the podium during the medals ceremony. Now that is a guy with integrity and salutes a country where he lived in where he was treated so badly but had the integrity and sportsmanship to get up there and salute.
I guess it's the irony of having the freedom of speech to whine, protest, complain, etc at work about something even if you make millions.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes getting back to the topic, the photos of the accuser's injuries showing bruises all over her body isn't helping elliot's case. IF these accusations are true, then elliot has a lot of explaining to do! Those bruises on her body indicate someone used extreme measures to put them there. I'm not talking slapping.

So NFL wouldn't lay this 6 game suspension on Elliot if they did not have a cut and dry case. Otherwise, with all the media attention about their decision to suspend elliot, they would risk too much if they made this decision just on speculations or hear say. Not looking good for elliot at this point or the cowboys.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a country where Kappernick is making tens of millions of dollars; 100s of thousand times the more than someone in an impoverished nation; a black man became president; it is difficult to come to the conclusion that he is oppressed because of his race.

Racism/oppression exists for sure but it is not overcomable. THe media distorts the racist issue for the purpose of political gain. They fan the flames of hatred to cause more and more racial hatred. Our political upheval is a trend of frustration over this. Of course it is portrayed as racist, it's all they have.

When it comes down to it, Kappernick is nothing more than a racist. Thinking all white people and cops are hateful racista is racist.

Personally, I have not watched a 49er game since then. I have a friend who did the same. I would bet there are many more and some who stopped watching NFL altogether.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the NFL reducing the suspension. I do, however, see Elliot taking a play out of the Brady playbook and filing for an injunction in court and getting this the suspension resolution put off until the 2018 season.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the NFL reducing the suspension. I do, however, see Elliot taking a play out of the Brady playbook and filing for an injunction in court and getting this the suspension resolution put off until the 2018 season.

Well, with the US Court of Appeals already ruling in Goodell's favor and the unlikelihood that this particular case would make it up to the Supreme Court, I'm banking Elliot and his lawyers are not going to waste time and money going through this circus. Given that this is ESPN, FS1 and the NFL's new gold mine for the offseason, the debate will go on on talk radio and ESPN's shows as to whether or not this whole penalty and what not is just, but to me where the Federal govt's involvement in all this is concerned the precedent was pretty much set in stone now with the Brady case. It's a case of the personal conduct policy taking root over the actual legal criminal/civil justice process, and it's not about simply one single event, it's a series of events that have been going on for what ... like a year now? I'd like to think that's the big thing is that because this isn't some isolated incident he got into, it's why it's going 6 games.

Also btw, I'll give Goodell props this time because he actually did not act alone as judge, jury and executioner. That article I pointed out mentions he consulted about 4 different independent judicial counsels.

H

HardRightEdge

Racism? LOL Now it's racism's fault that made most people feel offended or angered at Kaep's protesting of the national anthem? I had a feeling it would go in that direction. Since we are all speculating it could be argued that Kaep had his own racist agenda. Speaking of which, you know who I respect in times of adversity? Jesse Owens who saluted America on the podium during the medals ceremony. Now that is a guy with integrity and salutes a country where he lived in where he was treated so badly but had the integrity and sportsmanship to get up there and salute.
I guess it's the irony of having the freedom of speech to whine, protest, complain, etc at work about something even if you make millions.
I didn't say most. I said 30%.

Anyway, I think you missed the point. He wasn't protesting the national anthem. He was protesting during the national anthem.

As with Elliot, what K. was protesting happened to be on tape, and the tape don't lie.

You can disagree if you like, but you first have to understand what you are disagreeing with.

Whether it's K. taking a knee, Smith and Carlos raising the black power salute in 1968, or somebody burning a flag or raising it upside down in the Vietnam protests, they are not protesting the anthem, the flag or against the country unless they happen to be revolutionaries espousing government overthrow. Of course nowadays that's the of white militias..

In these examples the individuals are are protesting against powers that have, in their opinion, corrupted the meaning of those symbols through injustice.

So, in that light, carry on.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right.

What? What happened to the "I want to beat them at their best" stuff. JK JK but you know what I mean. So many fans saying they want to face the enemy with the enemy at full strength so there will be no excuses.

I'm with you and I wouldn't mind seeing Bryant and and Prescott miss the game either. I don't want them injured or for them to assault anyone but hey guys If you want to **** up I can get you some good weed, no charge. What's that you say? What's with the phone ... never mind that, the camera doesn't work, just calling my guy for more ... here take another hit.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts