Packers | Team allocated rookie salary cap pool

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers | Team allocated rookie salary cap pool
Thu, 4 May 2006 22:33:23 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the National Football League allocated the Green Bay Packers $6,647,633 under the 2006 rookie salary cap pool, according to a source with access to NFL Players Association salary data. The Packers easily had the most selections in the NFL Draft. As of Thursday, May 4, the Packers were $12.36 million beneath the 2006 salary cap. The $6.647 million they are allowed to spend on rookies will come out of that $12.36 million figure.

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whoa, after all this we still have 6 mil to spend? Thats more than some teams heading into the offseason

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dannychau22 said:
whoa, after all this we still have 6 mil to spend? Thats more than some teams heading into the offseason

That may have been TT's strategy all along. He's structured most of the big contracts from the offseason so that they have the biggest cap hit this year. The advantage is that we shouldn't be cash strapped for years to come over one high spending offseason.

The 6 million left after signing rookies should be very useful. Could sign a couple of the best FAs from the June 1st cuts. Then keep a few million for signing players during the season and maybe extending someone's contract during the season.

Of course considering TT left $1.9 million of unspent cap space after last season when we had cap problems, it's very likely that there'll be considerable left-over money never spent.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how Hawk's contract will work out, but like Bobby said, it makes sense to front end load as many contracts now since we likely won't use the $$$ this year, and it opens up our pocket books for years to come.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Could use that $3 million he gave Sherman to walk out the door...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Could use that $3 million he gave Sherman to walk out the door...

Actually that was $6 million - Sherman's current salary. I don't know his current salary, but because of that contract he's making at least $6 million over the next couple years. If he was spiteful, then he could have Houston pay him just $1 for the next couple seasons and have GB pick-up the remaining amount.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
musccy said:
...but a coach's contract has NOTHING to do w/ the salary cap, right?

correct-omundo!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would assume that the team's budget is in pretty good shape seeing as how there was hundreds of millions saved up in the case that a new CBA couldn't be reached and an uncapped year would result.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I would assume that the team's budget is in pretty good shape seeing as how there was hundreds of millions saved up in the case that a new CBA couldn't be reached and an uncapped year would result.

What????? The Packers do not have "hundreds of millions" of dollars saved up to throw away. They can't compete with the wealthy owners as far as huge signing bonuses go. I get their financial statements every year, and unless Bob Harlan has it under his mattress, there is no such "hundreds of millions".

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was there not an article like last year saying that the team had a "war chest" of like 100 something million dollars so that they could stay competitive in case a uncapped year occured? I swear I had read something to that effect.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Was there not an article like last year saying that the team had a "war chest" of like 100 something million dollars so that they could stay competitive in case a uncapped year occured? I swear I had read something to that effect.

I hear what your saying and the new stadium has helped raise revenues even during the off season. They do have reserves and I don't have the info with me but it isn't hundreds of millions. Even if they did, they can't waste it. Some of these wealthy owners have nearly unlimited funds to throw at players and coaches.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I just looked it up again. I couldn't find the original article I read but I saw a different one and it appears that they do have the reserves they are especially to keep the team in Green Bay under any circumstance, so apparently they could of been used to stay competitive if there was no salary cap but can't be used except for special circumstances.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is rare for a team to use all of the rookie allocation. Frankly a lot of it will be available after the late round guys are cut(except signing bonuses).
Good luck clearing waivers to the practice squad.

Although Hawk will get millions, the cap number for this year should be about 2.5 million as it will likely be a 6 year deal under new CBA rules regarding top picks of the draft.

Several guys should be earning extensions this fall that will happen during the season.

The Packers are in one of the best spots this year cap wise and can help themselves for next year by extending some players.
DT's Williams, Jenkins, and Cole will be RFA's next year. Allen an FA
WR's Gardner and Boerigter are on one year deals and Driver has earned an extension.
If healthy Ahman might want a contract.
Is Taylor worth keeping at LB?

The money will be spent it is just a question of where.

Members online

Latest posts