Packers talking to Kevan Barlow

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Tom Pelissero
Green Bay Press-Gazette

The Green Bay Packers might find their running back of the future in next month’s NFL draft, but it doesn’t appear the team has ruled out signing a veteran to help fill the void left by Ahman Green.

One option could be Kevan Barlow, who was cut by the New York Jets last month after one subpar season.

Barlow’s agent, Doug Hendrickson, said Monday he had preliminary talks with the Packers on Friday at the University of Michigan’s pro day workout. The odds are long Barlow will sign anywhere before the draft, instead waiting to see where the top rookies land.

“There are two good backs (Oklahoma’s Adrian Peterson and California’s Marshawn Lynch) in the draft,” Hendrickson said. “There’s more maybe later on Day 1 or Day 2. But really, there are two good backs, and the rest are marginal, at best.”

After rushing for |1,024 yards in 2003, the 6-foot-1, 234-pound, sixth-year pro saw his production tail off his last two years with the |San Francisco 49ers. The Jets acquired him with a fourth-round draft pick before last season, but Barlow ran for a career-low |370 yards, fell to third on the depth chart and was released.

It’s unlikely any team will pay anything near the $3.25 million in 2007 or $4 million in 2008 he was due under his old contract.

Hendrickson said Buffalo, Tennessee and Indianapolis also have inquired about Barlow, 28.

Peterson and Lynch, both underclassmen, are considered |first-round locks, but it’s unclear whether either will be on the board when the Packers select at No. 16 overall. For instance, Buffalo, which picks 12th, needs a back after trading Willis McGahee to Baltimore.

There’s not much leftover in free agency. Green (Houston Texans), Travis Henry (Denver Broncos), Jamal Lewis (Cleveland Browns), Dominic Rhodes (Oakland Raiders), Correll Buckhalter (Philadelphia Eagles) and |T.J. Duckett (Detroit Lions), have signed elsewhere.

It is believed Buffalo and Detroit were close to a deal with former Tennessee Titans back Chris Brown but backed off when the price got too high. The Packers have been in contact with Brown’s agent, Wynn Silberman, who did not return a message Monday afternoon.

Even if Packers General Manager Ted Thompson is willing to roll the dice with some combination of Vernand Morency, Noah Herron and Arliss Beach, signing a veteran would provide insurance.

The Packers haven't contacted Corey Dillon, the 32-year-old former Cincinnati and New England back.

“He knows the days of carrying the ball 20 times a game, 25 times a game are gone,” said Dillon’s agent, Steven Feldman. “But he’d like to carry it 10, 12, 15 times.”

Feldman said Dillon is keeping his options open, but wants to join a team “on the verge of the playoffs.”

Younger backs with significant playing experience probably are priced out of the Packers’ range. The San Diego Chargers recently gave restricted free agent Michael Turner — the backup to league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson — a reported $2.35 million tender, ensuring the team will receive first- and third-round draft choices from any team that signs him.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet we've been in contact with Ron Dayne too.

Let's talk with the worst possible backs we can dig up...

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

See what happens when we beg TT to do something.

Okay...I like TT's do nothing ways better.

Step away from the phone. :stop:

Sounds good TT, take a piece of crap, just as long as it's dirt cheap. Better not happen. :twitch:

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet we've been in contact with Ron Dayne too.

Let's talk with the worst possible backs we can dig up...

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

See what happens when we beg TT to do something.

Okay...I like TT's do nothing ways better.

Step away from the phone. :stop:

Sounds good TT, take a piece of crap, just as long as it's dirt cheap. Better not happen. :twitch:

I feel the same way. I beg and beg for TT to bring in some FA's and when he does it's always the bottom of the barrel guys. It's going to be hard to lowball someone on Barlow. Perhaps TT can offer a Ham Sandwich and a bag of Sun Chips.

I am not to worried about Barlow signing because TT is still in town. If he was visiting you can be assured Ted would hop the next flight out of GB.

Honestly, Barlow stinks, but he's sadly equal, if not better, than what we have now.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i don't think he's equal to what we have now. he's washed up. at least our guys have up-side.

Yeah, your probably right. I think Morency is ok but I have serious doubts that he is an every down back. I like him in his limited role.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't sign Kevan Barlow.

He carries the ball w/a wide open arm stance
and doesn't tuck the ball in...totally prone
to fumble and has many times.

He was HORRIBLE in San Francisco...has no
break away speed and fumbles. NOt a good combination.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we could go for him, maybe not to start but I think if our O-line comes together good like they are expected to, he can be a better than average back up.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think that the running back we draft will be an every-down back. it will be a 1-2 punch with morrency and whoever we draft, and if one of those guys goes down we need a backup. will it be herron, leach, pope...?? i don't know. but i think those guys all have more upside than barlow.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
me too. he needs a compliment though.
Ok.....i'll do it..........."He's a REALLY nice guy!!!"
(Hows that for a compliment?)
I know.......another "Cheesey" joke!!!
(Would you expect any less???) :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

Members online

Latest posts