1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers swap Williams QBs

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, May 26, 2016.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    The team released Ryan and signed Marquise Williams.

Marquise Williams was a senior at North Carolina last season, leading the Tar Heels to an 11-1 regular-season record. North Carolina eventually lost to Clemson in the ACC title game and Baylor in the Russell Athletic Bowl, but it was one of its best football seasons in program history.

As a senior, Marquise Williams completed 61.2 percent of his passes for 3,068 yards, 24 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound quarterback threw for almost 8,000 yards in his career with 61 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. He was named second-team All-ACC by league coaches last season.

2. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    Unfortunately he won't make the roster.

3. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269

His best shot would be the Practice Squad. Likely between him and Callahan.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    Money is still on Callahan. Brett is already our "can make things with feet" type back up....Callahan has a higher ceiling in the pocket type passing IMO.

5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    I agree that Callahan is most likely the favorite to emerge as the Packers third quarterback but after him playing in Division III it will be interesting to see how he fares against pro level competition.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    Yup. Pure passing skills are there...but it is gonna be so much more complex and quicker. Good thing is all things say he is very intelligent and a book worm willing to put tape study and extra time in.

7. Packers907

Packers907 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    DI vs DIII QBs. Good pocket passer vs the dual threat QB. I agree that we already have our throw/run QB in Hundley. Guess it will make for some good competition. See how this one plays out.

8. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    No,no,no, this guy is going to be a running back that can throw the ball.
    This is going to be a nice new wrinkle to the Packers offense.

9. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +156

With his background as a former quarterback, I'm surprised we haven't seen the Packers run a play that gives Cobb the option of throwing the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    Most likely neither Callahan nor Williams will ever get significant snaps with the Packers so I don't think any of them will add a new wrinkle to the team's offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    I know that you are probably right but this kid did use his feet as well as his arm to rack up some pretty good stats in college.
    I was just having this "pipe dream" that a kid like this could add some pizzaz to the Packers otherwise hohum and somewhat predictable offense.
    Starks ain't that great and Crockett is a question mark as well, so there could be a small seem of opportunity for this kid in the backfield.
    I still have memories of Paul Hornung starting out on the vaunted "Packers sweep" only to pull up and pass to a wide open receiver.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  12. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    While that might work on an occasional gadget play I don't want anyone ither than Rodgers throwing the ball on a regular basis.

13. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    That!
    And the current version of the Packers couldn't run a sweep against my grandmother and her card club.:(

14. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +514
    Joe Callahan:

Marquise Williams:

15. broguy

broguy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm a UNC grad and follow UNC football pretty closely. Williams was a very solid dual-threat college QB. He has speed and obviously has the build to run through contact. He can also throw a pretty decent deep ball. He was a nightmare for opposing teams out of the "Fed-spread". However, while he can string a few nice passes together, his accuracy is really inconsistent. His biggest downfall in college was his poor decision making. He's a really spirited competitor, but I think that takes its toll on him in terms of trying to do too much. I hope he catches on somewhere and makes earns a nice paycheck, but I'm doubtful that he has a future as an NFL QB.

His replacement next year, Mitch Trubisky, is a guy to keep an eye on. He was highly recruited out of Mentor, Ohio. He has decent size along with great arm strength and accuracy, and also has some speed. He won't be as prolific in the running game as 'Quise, but he is a much better passer. His stats last year as a back up: 40/47 (85.1%); 6 TDs; 0 INTs; 16 Carries; 101 yds; 3 TDs

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016