Packers Stock Sale

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The best analogy I've heard about why someone would buy a share is it is a lifetime membership fee into a fan club that only allows a [relatively] few members every decade or so. (If half a million can be considered a few.) Those that rant and rave about it being a scam don't understand that point.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah this will be the first (five ever) that I'm old enough to decide to buy or not. I'll probably grab on honestly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do they let you by one share or is their a minimum amount?

Seeing as how it is essentially a ceremonial show of support to the team and bestows no actual ownership - buying multiple for yourself is kinda pointless. Now some buy for gifting.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely going to buy stock if this happens. I was only in college in 2011, so I wasn't in the best financial position for it. But this time I won't miss out.

griffin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since they have not announced the price per share, what do think the price will be per? Saw in 2011 they went for $250 per share.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since they have not announced the price per share, what do think the price will be per? Saw in 2011 they went for $250 per share.

My bet is $300 or around that - they should do it now while Aaron is here and team is doing well. Some bitter fans could hold back should they wait till it appears a rebuild is starting.

griffin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My bet is $300 or around that - they should do it now while Aaron is here and team is doing well. Some bitter fans could hold back should they wait till it appears a rebuild is starting.
For sure. Did they say when they plan to do the sale?

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article says that in 2011, it took a little over a years time from when the NFL approved to when they had everything else in place for the offering.

Yes you can buy only one, and that's what most people do. Aside from bragging about being an "owner," you get invited to the shareholders meeting each summer and there is a special section of the Packers Pro Shop online for shareholders (nothing special IMO).

I agree with tynimiller - my guess is that it would be in the $300-$350 range.

griffin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The article says that in 2011, it took a little over a years time from when the NFL approved to when they had everything else in place for the offering.

Yes you can buy only one, and that's what most people do. Aside from bragging about being an "owner," you get invited to the shareholders meeting each summer and there is a special section of the Packers Pro Shop online for shareholders (nothing special IMO).

I agree with tynimiller - my guess is that it would be in the $300-$350 range.
It’s a smart move by the GB organization by doing this. Definitely sounds like a diehard fan type of purchase. I think it is cool item to have if you love the Packers.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a necessary move back in the 20s and 30s just to keep the team afloat. Now they clear some major cash to keep operations humming, and use the stock sales to raise equity for capital improvements.

I bought a certificate of stock back in 2011 because I am not a fan of paying for stadiums with taxpayer dollars, when players and owners could easily foot the bill with a modest savings plan. I wanted to put my money where my mouth was, and may do it again.

Reaction score
I saw this last night: https://www.greenbaypressgazette.co...k-sale-lambeau-field-improvements/8570051002/

I keep my original stock certificate framed on the bar in my basement. A copy of it hangs in my office.
l
The best analogy I've heard about why someone would buy a share is it is a lifetime membership fee into a fan club that only allows a [relatively] few members every decade or so. (If half a million can be considered a few.) Those that rant and rave about it being a scam don't understand that point.
I’m not sure if this counts but here we go..
I Once bought precious gems online after seeing an array of unique flavors and colors and they boasted about the low thermal expansion similar to glass. I was so excited I bought an entire set.
I thought they were in the Onyx family of stones, but turns out it was a complete set of Pyrex Stones. It’s been the very best Precious stone set I’ve ever owned. It is so similar to glass that you’d be impressed at the clarity. It has it all.. Cut, Color and Clarity that you’d come to expect.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its about time. There's a whole
exactly. While I don't own stock currently and I don't plan on purchasing any in future offerings I do have several thousands of dollars worth of Packers glassware, pennants, die cast and a bunch of other cra...stuff adorning my walls and display cabinets. I would look at any stock certificate in the same way. There was a time when I wanted anything and everything that had a Packer logo on it. I had the Wheaties boxes, I had the ice cream pails and ice cream novelty boxes. I had the chips bags and the miller lite and coke cans and if I didn't have it I wanted it. I've changed and I am much more selective in the items I look for but again, I would place a stock certificate in that same category.

There are some differences obviously. Some of my collectibles are worth more than when I purchased them (most are not unfortunately) so you could consider them an investment whereas the stock, legally, can not be sold to anyone else and not at a profit. On the other hand, as Guapo says, owning a share of stock does come with some perks. However, I doubt anyone bought stock in the past or will be buying it in the future just to say they can go to a meeting those without one can not attend. They are buying it for the same reason I would, or they are looking at it as a way to contribute to fan centric experiences (Titletown district or stadium upgrades for example). Of course there will always be those insufferable few who buy it just so they can, at every possible opportunity, say "I'm an owner"

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing as how it is essentially a ceremonial show of support to the team and bestows no actual ownership - buying multiple for yourself is kinda pointless. Now some buy for gifting.
I was thinking of something I could leave in my will.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet that your kids may appreciate you leaving them cash more than a certificate of zero-value stock.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet that your kids may appreciate you leaving them cash more than a certificate of zero-value stock.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
If my choices are inheriting a piece of worthless stock or a mere 350 bucks I'd take the stock. Now if it came down to me getting a piece of stock and my brother getting 1.2 million I'd be a bit miffed.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Its about time. There's a whole

exactly. While I don't own stock currently and I don't plan on purchasing any in future offerings I do have several thousands of dollars worth of Packers glassware, pennants, die cast and a bunch of other cra...stuff adorning my walls and display cabinets. I would look at any stock certificate in the same way. There was a time when I wanted anything and everything that had a Packer logo on it. I had the Wheaties boxes, I had the ice cream pails and ice cream novelty boxes. I had the chips bags and the miller lite and coke cans and if I didn't have it I wanted it. I've changed and I am much more selective in the items I look for but again, I would place a stock certificate in that same category.

There are some differences obviously. Some of my collectibles are worth more than when I purchased them (most are not unfortunately) so you could consider them an investment whereas the stock, legally, can not be sold to anyone else and not at a profit. On the other hand, as Guapo says, owning a share of stock does come with some perks. However, I doubt anyone bought stock in the past or will be buying it in the future just to say they can go to a meeting those without one can not attend. They are buying it for the same reason I would, or they are looking at it as a way to contribute to fan centric experiences (Titletown district or stadium upgrades for example). Of course there will always be those insufferable few who buy it just so they can, at every possible opportunity, say "I'm an owner"
Of course there will always be those insufferable few who buy it just so they can, at every possible opportunity, say "I'm an owner".

For me, here in Arkansas, I gladly throw that in. It never fails as a great conversation starter and I'm always amused at the "oh my god, really? How cool" reaction.

So...... I guess I'm insufferable now too..... which goes along well with me also being a deplorable.

So...... I got that going for me...... which is nice.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do they let you by one share or is their a minimum amount?
This isn't a common stock but similar to a public offering that allows a public company to raise capital to expand, so you can buy pretty much buy as many as you want as it offers ownership as an incentive. Doesn't mean you can attend closed doors meeting and demand more hot dog stands and free beer. These "stocks" would be a great Christmas gift this holiday season. To see kids reactions when they find out they own part of the the Packers is priceless. As for the will, I would rather put that money in a Roth and assign beneficiaries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those who are interested, apparently stock goes on sale tomorrow (Tuesday, Nov 16th) for $300 per share:

Apparently they are trying to raise $300 million to upgrade the Lambeau scoreboards and concourses. I hope that they put in a bunch of those massage chairs like in the airport... :roflmao:

[**EDIT**] While it is a massive part of my work life, apparently math doesn't work for me online. 300,000 shares x $300 each equals $90 million, not $300 million.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question about this stock. As I understand it, if you own stock you get to vote on something or other (not sure what) every so often. Here's my question: Do you just get one vote if you own any stock, or do you get one vote for each stock certificate you own?

Also, I know they have something like a shareholder's meeting every year or so. Is that where the voting takes place, and do you have to be present to vote?

[**EDIT**] While it is a massive part of my work life, apparently math doesn't work for me online. 300,000 shares x $300 each equals $90 million, not $300 million.
Maybe the stock sale is just a part of the strategy to raise the money.

Latest posts