Packers still trying to acquire Moss from Oakland

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1050511.html

At some point this morning, Ted Thompson will make his monthly presentation to his bosses at the Green Bay Packers and the subject of his keen interest in acquiring Oakland receiver Randy Moss undoubtedly will top the agenda.

At that time, chairman of the board Bob Harlan, President John Jones and six members of the executive committee will hear details from Thompson regarding his plan to add the 30-year-old Moss, and the general manager will learn what management has to say about the raging debate in Packer Nation.

"Ted has not spent a lot of time talking to me about it, quite honestly," Harlan told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Monday. "Ted always starts out our meetings with a football report so he may get into that."

Sources have said the two teams have been discussing Moss for more than a month. On Monday, a source familiar with the inner workings of both organizations said Thompson had spoken directly with Raiders owner Al Davis about dealing for Moss, the longtime Vikings star traded to Oakland two years ago.

"They're going to get rid of him," the source said. "I think they think they can trade him. And I know Green Bay has interest."

Thompson refuses to discuss Moss, and Davis always operates under a veil of secrecy. Tim DiPiero, the agent for Moss, was unavailable for comment.

But the source said he was confident that Packers negotiator Andrew Brandt, with permission from Davis, already had had preliminary talks to restructure Moss' remaining base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08.
Maybe Randy's high paycheck is why you have been so quiet in FA thus far.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
source

Now I certainly don't think the Patriots would treat Moss so lavishly if they actually made this deal happen. I do, however, believe that their "team-over-the-individual" philosophy would take a serious hit. They'd also fall into that same trap that snared the Raiders and, to a certain extent, the Vikings. Both teams thought that Moss was worth all the potential trouble and both had to learn a difficult lesson. And if that's not enough to sway the Patriots, this simple fact should: If Raiders owner Al Davis is willing to give up on Moss, then that's probably a pretty good indication that Moss's best days are long behind him.

What applies to the Pats also must apply to the Pack, mustn't it?

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
plus the compensation Al Davis of Raiders wants for Randy Moss which is still said to be a first round draft choice. Just about all NFL teams jealously guard their first round draft choices, especially when it comes to trading for a player over 30 year old who has under achieved for the last couple of years with a boatload of problems. Moss has had probelms which started in his college years and has continued through his years with the Vikings and Raiders.

It would be hard decison for Green Bay Packers to make, to have problem veteran player like Moss come to Green Bay. Moss could create many problems in Packer locker room because the Green Bay Packers has many young players on it's roster with have less than three years of NFL experience. There are more young players coming in this year.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Moss still play? Take out all of the other issues just for arguments sake and can we determine that he still has downfield speed? He dropped a lot of balls this year. Aside of the draft choice issue, is this guy still a premier player? Is he worth 10 million a year? Once the Packers have decided that, now you look at the character issue. I don't recall a player of his stature, with his demeanor that has ever changed. He's a player who has to have all of the attention. How will Woodson, Harris, and Driver deal with his antics. How will Favre handle him? Is that what you want the young receivers to see? I just think there are too many issues even outside of character that would make me leery of signing him. Now add the character flaws and to me this is a deal I wouldn't make.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Ron Wolf passed on Moss in the draft, he said, "A leopard doesn't change its spots." And I think Moss's career has proven Wolf right. A lot of Packer fans seem to assume that Green Bay is a place where players with character issues come and then they suddenly turn into choir boys. But this isn't true. Maybe the Packers have had less than their share of players with character issues in recent years (and certainly less than the Vikings), but this is because the Packers have not acquired many players like that in the first place. Also, their relatively few players with character issues have been less prominent members of the team. It's a much more volatile situation when you have a player like that who is one of the key members of the team, rather than just a role player.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching the NFL network last night, and they said that Moss won't go to NE...this deal might just happen for the Packers, IMO I hope it happens..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a Deal could get done this week. Packers and Moss are alledgely trying to restructure his deal today. If they do that then all that needs to be done is an agreement on compensation. Right now it looks like a 2nd round to me.

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: i think moss would be a good addition to the packers....it would complete or recieving with jennings and driver....moss likes to get the ball, brett likes to throw it....he can make things happen.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Wolf did say that about Moss around the draft, he also later said he wished he would not have passed on tha talent.

I am torn on this issue. IF Moss still has game, and more importantly the desire to perform at a high level, I have faith that TT wsill do his due dilligence in making sur his head is in the right place to come to GB.

There is no denying that if Moss is in the right place physically and mentally, he would be a great acquisition.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is now rumored that the Raidahs are interested in either KGB or Corey Williams for Moss. I could see the KGB move a he has essentially flatlined the last several years, while Williams just keeps getting better and better (just like Cullen Jenkins) and is much more affordable than KGB, with more upside as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is now rumored that the Raidahs are interested in either KGB or Corey Williams for Moss. I could see the KGB move a he has essentially flatlined the last several years, while Williams just keeps getting better and better (just like Cullen Jenkins) and is much more affordable than KGB, with more upside as well.

I agree. Get rid of KGB for Moss in my opinion. Not Corey Williams. Although I still believe a 2nd is more likely than anything.

It seems like everyone has an opinion about Moss whether he's still got it, lost it, or won't change. I saw an article stating he's done and I saw one stating he'll put up 1500 yards if he's playing with Tom Brady or Brett Favre. Either way seeing Moss in Green Bay would be interesting and it does make a lot of sense for the Packers to give Favre a talent like Moss to close out his career. While Favre is not in his prime, he made Bill Schroeder a 1000 yard receiver. If he can do it with a player like Schroeder then I see no reason why Moss can’t put up 1000 yards in Green Bay either. The big question is whether or not Moss will be a locker room cancer of any sort. If Favre can’t keep him in line then nobody can and I trust Favre enough to believe he can at least control Moss if Moss acts up at all.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: i think moss would be a good addition to the packers....it would complete or recieving with jennings and driver....moss likes to get the ball, brett likes to throw it....he can make things happen.

Wow! What a profound statement. A QB likes to throw and a WR likes to catch. Well, it must work then.

Just kiddin', but I couldn't help jumping on such a Madden-esk statement.

Moss could do well in GB and he would get a chance to prove himself again, but it's a big risk. Personally I'm not all that offended by the mooning incident considering how many times he's been mooned for real by Packer fans. It's just a part of the rivalry.

I'm mostly concerned with team chemistry -- taking plays off, walking off the field before the end of the game, demanding that he always get the ball, etc. Those things could be a big problem with this young team. You can't change his personality, he must do it himself.

However it works out, I would want it to be a short term deal. I think that Rodgers will have a difficult time being the main QB with Randy.

GO PACK GO!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe me porky...if Moss comes to GB, you know that he, Favre, MM and TT had a sit down and Favre said something like this:

"Randy...I am salivating over the idea of having you out on the field with me...we can make a whole lot of things happen out there. But, I also have a guy named Donald Driver, a Pro-Bowler, and an exciting young kid in Greg Jennings...both of whom will get their share of balls thrown their way. You have to know in GB, we demand our WRs to do some blocking in the run game, and running vigorous routes when not the primary target....but you know how I am, Randy, primary or not, you get open and offer a big play...well, I am a gunslinger!!! If your head, heart and legs are there, welcome to GB...let's make some **** happen!"

IMHO, if we sign Moss, it is my belief that Favre has already committed two years to the team, as it does not make sense if Favre is around only one more year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not confident that Brett Favre can "control" Moss. It's not like he controlled Javon Walker when Walker started shooting off his mouth. On the contrary, Brett poured gasoline on the fire by speaking out against Walker.

Although I'm one of the anti-Moss fans here, there's no denying that it would be interesting to have him on the team and I hope that it would work out somehow. I just think the odds are against it working out well.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fact is that both Moss and Favre have a well documented regard for one another...which helps.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
When Ron Wolf passed on Moss in the draft, he said, "A leopard doesn't change its spots." And I think Moss's career has proven Wolf right. A lot of Packer fans seem to assume that Green Bay is a place where players with character issues come and then they suddenly turn into choir boys. But this isn't true. Maybe the Packers have had less than their share of players with character issues in recent years (and certainly less than the Vikings), but this is because the Packers have not acquired many players like that in the first place. Also, their relatively few players with character issues have been less prominent members of the team. It's a much more volatile situation when you have a player like that who is one of the key members of the team, rather than just a role player.

later Wolf said passing on Moss was the biggest mistake in his career and that Moss hadn't been all that bad in the pros.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I'm not confident that Brett Favre can "control" Moss. It's not like he controlled Javon Walker when Walker started shooting off his mouth. On the contrary, Brett poured gasoline on the fire by speaking out against Walker.

Although I'm one of the anti-Moss fans here, there's no denying that it would be interesting to have him on the team and I hope that it would work out somehow. I just think the odds are against it working out well.

I think some comparisons can be made between Moss and Rison. How did the Packers do with Rison?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I think some comparisons can be made between Moss and Rison. How did the Packers do with Rison?

Used him as their half of a season ***** then released him

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just found this on KFFL

Packers | Team to discuss possibility of trading for R. Moss
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:25:11 -0800

ESPN.com reports the Green Bay Packers' leadership is expected to discuss a potential trade for Oakland Raiders WR Randy Moss when it meets Tuesday, March 13. According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, a trade sending Moss to the Packers is already in discussion stages. According to an unnamed league source, Packers general manager Ted Thompson has already been in direct talks with Raiders managing general partner Al Davis about the move. According to sources, the teams have discussed the trade for a month and the Packers have been given permission to talk to Moss' agent about restructuring his contract. "They're going to get rid of him," a source said, according to the Journal-Sentinel. "I think they think they can trade him. And I know Green Bay has interest."

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Greg C. said:

Yes but how did the Packers do that year? 1996 wasn't it?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Obi1 said:
Greg C. said:

Yup they won the SB with him..But do you think Randy can push them to that spot?? I dont think so, maybe close but not all the way..

Rison just happened to be in the right spot at right time...

Maybe a wr below Risons talent could have gotten them the win as well, but we will never know...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Obi1 said:
Greg C. said:

The Packers won the Super Bowl that year, of course, but they didn't even have Rison for half a season. I heard after the Super Bowl that Rison was such a distraction in the locker room that Mike Holmgren almost decided to hold him out of the game. And he was gone as soon as the season ended.

By the way, I didn't know that Wolf had retracted his statement about Moss. He certainly hasn't been the disaster that he could've been in the NFL. But I don't see him as a good addition to this team. If it does happen, I hope I'm wrong.

bakler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey all, first post here, been reading for awhile though...

Anyways about moss. Does anyone ever realize what moss is always yappin about to his qbs and what not on the sideline? To just throw the ball up to him so he can make a play.... And what is brett favre known for doing? Throwing the ball up so his receiver can make a play. Now if you ask me that sounds like a recipe for success and i really don't see how that relationship couldn't work out.

Moss has been on two teams that are known year in and year out to not be successful teams, whether it be bad coaching, bad management, etc. Granted his first couple yrs in mn they were pretty good. Can you blame a guy for wanting to win? Why would anyone in their right mind want to play for oakland?

And lastly the thing i remember most about randy moss when he was in minnesota is how he supposedly "stole the lambeau leap" and always did it in the dome. Celebrating with the fans, something us packer fans love to see. I don't see how this could be a bad move at all and honestly i would love and really do hope to see that first 50 yd touchdown from favre to moss and watch him do his first lambeau leap. Lets go tightwad ted, make it happen!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts