Packers sixth round picks

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Covington looks way better than Ringo in these videos. But Covington's one is a highlight tape which probably includes most if his best plays during his college career while Ringo's is a game tape. It's not fair to make an educated guess about their talent level based on it.

Highlight or not, it's pretty evident that Covington is much quicker and more athletic - and bigger.

I just don't see it with Ringo - to be that undersized, he had better be lightning quick, and he's just not. If he were, he would have been a higher draft pick. At 277 lbs, he's going to get pushed around pretty good on the NFL level. Just don't see him competing from the LOS on the NFL level.

We'll see.

Out of these draft picks, the only ones I like are Rollins and Montgomery. Although I don't like Montgomery in the 3rd at the expense of a higher rated ILB. I like Rollins in the 2nd though.

Rest of the draft isn't much to write home about. Maybe Hundley turns out in the long run, but we won't get anything out of him for a long time - unless of course Rodgers goes down.

Maybe that TE in the 6th has some upside?? We'll see.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Highlight or not, it's pretty evident that Covington is much quicker and more athletic - and bigger.

I just don't see it with Ringo - to be that undersized, he had better be lightning quick, and he's just not. If he were, he would have been a higher draft pick. At 277 lbs, he's going to get pushed around pretty good on the NFL level. Just don't see him competing from the LOS on the NFL level.

I expect Ringo to add some weight and hopefully being able to rush the passer in sub packages. Once again, there´s no sure thing left on the board in the sixth round. Covington wasn´t dominant playing in the Conference USA so I don´t see any reason to believe he will be able to do it in the NFL either.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Ringo to add some weight and hopefully being able to rush the passer in sub packages. Once again, there´s no sure thing left on the board in the sixth round. Covington wasn´t dominant playing in the Conference USA so I don´t see any reason to believe he will be able to do it in the NFL either.

When did I say he would be "dominant"?? He's simply a better player than Ringo, and has a much higher ceiling.

I don't care what kind of numbers Ringo put up against the sisters of the sacred heart, he'll be lucky to stick at all. Of the plays you see him make, it's not like he's disengaging like a man among boys.

I think you're looking at Ringo's numbers and translating that to the NFL - he simply doesn't have the physical ability to make it happen. You can see that on the tape. He'll be lucky to make the team.

Here we are arguing about a low-round pick that likely won't even make the team, when the bigger picture is that we likely didn't improve the team this offseason at all.

Our biggest issues are still ILB, and the fact that Dom Capers is still our DC - with Dom being the biggest problem.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

When did I say he would be "dominant"?? He's simply a better player than Ringo, and has a much higher ceiling.

I don't care what kind of numbers Ringo put up against the sisters of the sacred heart, he'll be lucky to stick at all. Of the plays you see him make, it's not like he's disengaging like a man among boys.

I think you're looking at Ringo's numbers and translating that to the NFL - he simply doesn't have the physical ability to make it happen. You can see that on the tape. He'll be lucky to make the team.

Here we are arguing about a low-round pick that likely won't even make the team, when the bigger picture is that we likely didn't improve the team this offseason at all.

I never said anything about Ringo being able to translate his numbers in college into the NFL. The point I'm trying to make is that if Covington would be a way better player he would have dominated in the Conference USA, but he didn't.

I agree that we didn't improve a whole lot during this offseason. The question is though how much a team that was five minutes away from going to the Super Bowl really has to improve???

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Was very disappointed to see that Covington was there that late, and the TT spit on him to take another DT.
Good lord. Yes, of course Thompson spit on him. In fact I heard Thompson hired someone to defame him on social media. :rolleyes: Or a rational fan might guess that injury concerns were the reason why Thompson and other NFL teams passed on him until pick #216.
Covington is a scheme-specific player who lacks the strength to anchor against the run. He injured his knee in the second game of the season and ended up getting surgery after appearing in just seven games, which made his leaving Rice early a major surprise. Missing that much time with a knee dislocation is a red flag that could drop his stock more than his on-film status shows.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-2015-scouting-report-grade-for-texans-rookie
CBSSports NFL draft site added that he played with a big cast over his right arm in 2013 to protect a thumb injury.

H

HardRightEdge

The question is though how much a team that was five minutes away from going to the Super Bowl really has to improve???
Here are a few counter thoughts to that notion:

1) What's the likelihood of meeting again a QB who throws 3 picks in the first half?

2) What is the significance of picking off a QB 3 times in the first half followed by him lighting up the defense in a historic late game collapse?

It's possible for the Packers to get to the Super Bowl without an improved defense depending on the playoff match ups. If it's offensive-oriented opponents at home in the playoffs the chances of getting to the big show would be fairly good.

If it's road games against teams with strong defenses that keep a lid on scoring, the odds decline sharply.

In my view, losing to Buffalo on the road was emblematic. That loss was no fluke.

After the the individual player grades are added up, in the final analysis it will come down to intangibles. To what extent will the whole be greater than the sum of the parts? Will this defense gain some edge and cohesiveness to hold down the score on the road and close out games? It takes a couple of players bringing leadership and "glue" to the proceedings. The best candidates to bring those characteristics are Matthews, the "other" ILBs and Burnett. They need to step up.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Out of these draft picks, the only ones I like are Rollins and Montgomery. Although I don't like Montgomery in the 3rd at the expense of a higher rated ILB.
Which ILB did Ted Thompson have rated higher than Montgomery that was still undrafted?

H

HardRightEdge

A note on Ringo's weight.

While nfldraftscout.com has a 5/4/15 note referencing his 277 lbs., at the same time they show 293 lbs. as his 3/15/15 Pro Day weight.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=96090&draftyear=2015&genpos=de

Ringo participated in the College Gridiron Showcase, where his weight on or about 1/27/15 was 298 lbs. The packers.com roster shows 298 lbs. as well.

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/2015-college-gridiron-showcase-weigh-results.html

It's interesting that while Ringo did not get a Combine, Senior Bowl or E-W Shrine Game invite, it was evidently the CGS game at the higher weight that got NFL scouts' attention.

He would appear to be of similar dimensions to Mike Daniels, with a similar high motor being reported.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts