Packers signed LB off of waivers

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's looking like two LB's... do we know anything about these guys?

Packers acquire pair of linebackers, Diryal Briggs and Matt Wilhelm

Wilhelm is a former starter with the Chargers in 2007 and had spent time with the Eagles and 49ers. Played for Ohio State and was drafted in 2003. He is not a great athlete by any means but could do some fill in work at the MLB position. Most likely a special team guy though.

Briggs was a rookie in 09 out of Bowling Green. Was a rush end/OLB and has good speed but isn't overwhelmingly strong or explosive. He has been with the 49ers and Broncos.

Both are actually pretty servicable players but I don't expect too much early on from either one. Could get some PT later in the season however.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats funny. I like that Green Bay is looking for players and trying to fill the holes, I just don't know if they are trying enough. I'm not saying that I want them to trade a bunch of picks and players away in order to save the season, I just think that more could be done. Maybe I'm being over-critical, I don't know.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats funny. I like that Green Bay is looking for players and trying to fill the holes, I just don't know if they are trying enough. I'm not saying that I want them to trade a bunch of picks and players away in order to save the season, I just think that more could be done. Maybe I'm being over-critical, I don't know.

You can't bet the Farm...You can't put all your eggs in one basket...Let the almighty GM do his thing, he also has to keep in mind the FUTURE of the Packers as well...if not this season...we will be a contender for at least a few years...we are on the right track...just a injury bugged season stopped us....or has it?

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. It has just been frustrating. I think that they are doing a very good job in regards to all of the injuries in terms of playing the games close. They are asking a lot from guys who were supposed to be special teamers or practice squad guys, and for the most part those guys have stepped up and delivered.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Psycho Package here we come!!!!!!!!!! WOOOT WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. Imagine playing psycho as our base D. Hmmmmmmmm

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -- The Packers made a series of moves Tuesday to strengthen their linebacker and special teams positions.

Obviously, the loss of Nick Barnett and Brady Poppinga has left them vulnerable at the position and they had been getting along with untested Maurice Simpkins and Robert Francois.

On Tuesday, they claimed outside linebaker Diyarl Briggs from the Denver Broncos. Briggs, 6-2 1/2 and 248 pounds, has played in six regular-season games over his career. He'll be used as a pass rusher, but don't expect him to contribute a lot other than on special teams.

In addition, the Packers signed inside linebacker Erik Wilhelm off the street. The former San Diego Charger and San Francisco 49er has been on the street since Sept. 9, when the 49ers cut him. Wilhelm was signed from a group of players who had tryouts Tuesday. In addition to Wilhelm, end Nick Reed and linebacker Erik Walden performed in front of team scouts.

To make room for the newcomers, the Packers released Simpkins, who was promoted from the pracitce squad Oct. 7 and had been active for two games, playing only on special teams, and also placed Poppinga (knee surgery) and defensive end Mike Neal (rotator cuff) on injured reserve.

Wilhelm, who is 6-4, 247 pounds, is a run-stuffer who essentially replaces Simpkins and will be a backup to Desmond Bishop and A.J. Hawk. He has played in 82 games, including 22 starts, all but one of which were with the San Diego Chargers.

In eight seasons, Wilhelm has 258 tackles, two sacks, six interceptions and 13 pass breakups. He played in six playoff games with San Diego, including two as a starter. He has a long history of playing on special teams, posting 12 tackles in 2009 and 15 in 2006 and 2007.

Briggs, an undrafted free agent out of Bowling Green, was cut last summer and put on San Francisco's practice squad right away. He was promoted to the 53-man roster on Oct. 28 and in four games had four special teams tackles.

He was cut by the 49ers on Sept. 21 of this year and claimed by Denver the next day. He played one game with the 49ers and one with the Broncos and was cut Monday after playing in the 59-14 loss to the Oakland Raiders before being claimed by the Packers.

The Packers have one spot open on the 53-man roster. Presumably, it will be filled by either cornerback Al Harris or safety Atari Bigby this week when one or both are taken off the physically unable to perform list. If both are activated, another player would have to be cut.

via JS

Members online