Packers sign WR Gore

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -- Shawn Gore, a 6-foot, 198-pound receiver from Bishop’s University in Quebec, Canada, is one of the 28 tryout players who received a contract offer and signed Sunday, according to a Twitter posting by his agents at X-A-M Sports and confirmed by an NFL source. Coach Mike McCarthy said he expected that one or two of the tryout players who attended the camp will be signed.
Apparently, the 23-year-old Gore, a native of Toronto, showed the coaches enough to get an offer. At literally the same time Gore was getting ready to sign his deal with the Packers, he was selected 10th overall in the Canadian Football League draft by the British Columbia Lions.
Gore had 37 catches for 610 yards and five touchdowns in nine games for Bishop's and was a key player on special teams, which is probably what attracted the Packers the most. He ran a 4.5 40-yard dash in a workout and reportedly has a 40-inch vertical jump.

guess they are addressing special teams.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats great news! Looks like we will have some depth in KR/PR. Maybe he could also help out in the receiving corps as well!

Has anyone watched video of him?

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nevermind.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZ5QoiYjSc]YouTube - Shawn Gore #2 - Bishop's University 2009 Highlights[/ame]

He looks really fast. If you watch the vid, on numerous occasions he outran that QB and had to come back to the ball or slow up and wait... Hopefully thats his speed and not a weak QB.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm down with this guy. Looks like the Packers' kind of receiver. He fights for yards after the catch, hard to bring down, eager to throw blocks, and just plays hard. I dig it.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gore looks like a guy who can catch everything. The only knock I have about him is that he seems to be running the same routes over and over again in that vid. I'm sure with our coaching staff we can polish this kid up.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Gore?

Serious, I wonder if this Shawn is any relation to Frank.
Probably not to Al though :)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I can't get excited about someone when I watch their video and the stadium looks crappier than the one at the high school I went to.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't get excited about someone when I watch their video and the stadium looks crappier than the one at the high school I went to.

True. But that doesnt affect how fast the player runs or how good the player can catch.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
lol im still stuck on crabtree

lol his crying for a new contract and actually sitting out half a season didnt get you off the Crabtree wagon? And bulaga is twice as valuable for the next 10 years to us than dez bryant would have ever been.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol his crying for a new contract and actually sitting out half a season didnt get you off the Crabtree wagon? And bulaga is twice as valuable for the next 10 years to us than dez bryant would have ever been.

Makes me wonder... Wasn't Bryant supposed to be a top 10 pick as well? Like Crabtree. Will he hold out? Like Crabtree. So will he be a diva? Like Crabtree.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes me wonder... Wasn't Bryant supposed to be a top 10 pick as well? Like Crabtree. Will he hold out? Like Crabtree. So will he be a diva? Like Crabtree.
Like Crabtree-there's the Deion Sanders connection.
I still say Crabtree pushed off on Al Harris on his TD catch last year.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That stuff is just business, most WRs dont make much of an impact their first or second year anyway. I think these stats are fun. Not sure how you measure the impact Joe Montana's prime though...

Jerry Rice first year
49 receptions 927 yards 3 TDs
Jerry started 4 games but played in 16

Michael Crabtree first year
48 receptions 625 yards 2 TDs
Michael played in and started 11 games

In no way am I saying that Crabtree will have the career Jerry had, but its interesting to compare the first year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That stuff is just business, most WRs dont make much of an impact their first or second year anyway. I think these stats are fun. Not sure how you measure the impact Joe Montana's prime though...

Jerry Rice first year
49 receptions 927 yards 3 TDs
Jerry started 4 games but played in 16

Michael Crabtree first year
48 receptions 625 yards 2 TDs
Michael played in and started 11 games

In no way am I saying that Crabtree will have the career Jerry had, but its interesting to compare the first year.
James Jones' 1st year:
47 receptions 676 yards 2 TDs
Played in 16 games but started 9

I'm just saying...

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones' 1st year:

I'm just saying...

James Jones I think will be Donald Drivers replacement. Its not like the kid is chopped liver.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones' 1st year:

I'm just saying...

Im glad you brought up Jones. He had a great year last year, as far as TDs go he had a break out year, and no one ever talks about the guy!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Q&A with Shawn Gore - JSOnline

Get to know brother Gore.
He sounds like a neat, energitic dude.

Obviously I have not seen the guy other than that highlight package, but I wonder if he can develop a la Donald Driver outta Alcorn State in 1999. I remember reading about Donald back then and this guy's interview here immediately reminded me of Donald's attitude. Attitude and heart are huge factors in a WR's success or failure in the NFL.

Ax Charles Rogers' fans about that LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts