Packers sign OG Tupe Peko

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back to Jennings, he's looking good so far according to the latest reports. One writer on Packernews.com (I think) claimed if the other receivers keep dropping balls at the rate they have over the first 3 days that Jennings would get the #2 spot, though as pointed out above McCarthy might rotate the receivers. Not sure how well that'll work if they can't catch, but as important as receiver concerns are, the offensive line situation is obviously even more critical. Those guys have to stay healthy, come together and be ready to go by the Chicago game or dropped passes're gonna be irrelevant.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IndiPack said:
Getting back to Jennings, he's looking good so far according to the latest reports. One writer on Packernews.com (I think) claimed if the other receivers keep dropping balls at the rate they have over the first 3 days that Jennings would get the #2 spot, though as pointed out above McCarthy might rotate the receivers. Not sure how well that'll work if they can't catch, but as important as receiver concerns are, the offensive line situation is obviously even more critical. Those guys have to stay healthy, come together and be ready to go by the Chicago game or dropped passes're gonna be irrelevant.

Man, I would love for Jennings to win that position, but not by default.

It sounds like he is doing well so hopefully he wins it on his own. I'd hate to think he wins it because he "sucks less" than Gardner or Fergy!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IndiPack said:

I think Jennings is going to beat them out already. Ferguson isn't the player Sherman thought he was. Gardner is an underachiever. Jennings has seen more reps than Boerighter. I think Jennings is emerging as the front runner. It'll be nice when a pre season game starts up so I can see him in an actual NFL game situation.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, other than Hutchinson and his egregious contract, which guard from the supposed vast pool of talent would you choose....this or last year. Let's face it, the type of player we are looking for has not been available in the last several years. Available were overpaid, albeit extremely talented, players like Hutchinson, or the type of player we are currently pulling.....veterans of marginal pedigree.

Obviously the Packers, like most teams, are looking for something in the middle of those extremes. So, again...who are the players that should be in GB?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
You TT lovers are just unreal. We knew we were losing a lot when Whale and Rivera left. TT's effort to replace at least one of those guys last year in FA and the draft was abysmal, and we had one of our worst seasons in a long time because of it. Fast forward to this off season and TT comes up w/ another lack luster, wait and see performance for the OL and a number of you see no problem w/ his approach. How many poor performances does it take before you aggressively try to upgrade your team w/ a competent player? No one is saying he had to go spend for Hutchinson, but at least making a play for someone in Manual's class......a young up and coming OL, would have been a step in the right direction. Likewise, trying to find a diamond in the rough now and then is fine, but you’re not going to make a living w/ it. Tight Teddy may have won many of you over, but I don't care for his complacent approach @ all. Sometimes you just need to go make a move to get your team a legitimate player and this was definitely the year they needed to do that for the OL.

My thoughts exactly.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good question Digs! I don't have a list of names; I don't have that much free time in my life to do TT's and Mckenzie's jobs for them. What I do know is they should have identified some NFL reserve players from various teams and made a legitimate attempt at signing one or more of them via FA or trade. Likewise, they certainly could have spent a higher draft pick last year on an OL knowing you just lost two All-Pro performers to FA. Instead they sat back and continue to wait and see if some aging, oft injuried FA or wet behind the ears rookie can miraculously find a way to perform @ a level they've never came close to in their entire lives. There's blind leadership for you. As I've said many times in the past, I would have made a strong play for LeCharles Bently @ C and considered leaving Wells @ LG considering he played well there this last season. That would have left me just one hole to fill instead of 3! Likewise, maybe they should have spent the money/draft picks on Reggie Wells? What's clear to me is they haven't done enough to solidfy this spot and it's key to turning things around this season; don't you think they could be at least a little more aggressive in their approach.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really didn't bother reading all the posts in this thread, so don't hate me if I touch upon something that's already been mentioned.

People who are saying, "TT needs to stop worrying about these little chump change players and get us some solid starters in the o-line!" need to step back and look at things a little bit. 1) Depth is always great! Sure it'd be nice if we could grab the best guards in the league... but there aren't many opportunities to do that... whereas there are plenty more opportunities to grab solid backups. 2) This is probably the more important point. The guys that are going to succeed in this system aren't going to be your big name guys! Look at Atlanta... back before the zone blocking scheme, everyone thought their offensive linemen sucked. But now they lead the league in rushing yards. A guy that didn't work out in Houston's system may have a pro-bowl year in our system. You have to look at the scheme and the player fit almost more than you look at the player and his past.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to add for Popcynical, Peko never actually played for Houston, but he did play in 27 games for Indy, starting 9.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree Pop, but TT really hasn't done that either. Most everyone he picks up is a complete rookie w/ no experience or some no account broke down vet. At least make a run @ a player like the Safety from Seattle (Manuel?)....someone who has shown he can play a little in the NFL and who may be on the rise. He's had 2 off seasons now to address this inept unit which is costing the team games, yet he continues to take a wait and see approach. I give him credit for making a move to replace CB Carroll because of his poor play. TT took a hugh chance going after a hugh vet in Woodson. I'm not saying he has to take that big of a leep w/ the OL, but surely someone other than a bottom feeder is available to help our OL. I notice that Atlanta is carrying a couple of young guys from Denver as their backups. You would think that might be the type of move they would try and make, someone TT and Coach Jog have had contact w/ in the past?? Surely there are more teams in the NFL than Denver and Atlanta who run the zone blocking scheme. Hell, every team uses it to some degree if only for a play or two.

Members online

Latest posts