Packers sign Lane Taylor to contract extension

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Taylor's contract is a 3-yr extension for $16.5M, source said. $5M signing bonus. $7.8M total in 2017.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
$7.8M total in 2017 seems like a big hit, but would rather take that hit now, while we have the cap space.

Good signing, especially considering the state of the OL......lock him up now before he starts wanting Sitton and Lang type money.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He first has to be a Sitton/Lang type of player before he can demand such figures. I like that we have some stability at the position now, but considering that Rodgers/Adams/Burnett are all gonna have to be paid next year, I'd rather would have seen an investment there first.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He first has to be a Sitton/Lang type of player before he can demand such figures. I like that we have some stability at the position now, but considering that Rodgers/Adams/Burnett are all gonna have to be paid next year, I'd rather would have seen an investment there first.

Lang is older and makes 4 million more per year. If he was lang he would have demanded more.

H

HardRightEdge

$7.8M total in 2017 seems like a big hit, but would rather take that hit now, while we have the cap space.

Good signing, especially considering the state of the OL......lock him up now before he starts wanting Sitton and Lang type money.
The $7.8 mil is cash money, not cap. Taylor is due $2.8 mil cash this season with salary and bonus. The other $5 mil is the singing bonus prorated out through 2020 for cap purposes.

Given his current year which remains in place, for which he will be underpaid given last year's performance, it's probably best to look at it as 4 years for roughly $19.0 - $19.5 mil depending on how one views the $300k signing bonus cap hit for this year. Seems like a good price for a decent youngish LG.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Arguing semantics, but since cap space can be rolled over, does it really matter whether you take the hit now or later?

As HRE mentioned its actually a smaller hit now, but I would think mathematically with roll over there's never a disadvantage to deferring the hit.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was an important deal to get done with potentially another mass exodus on the O-line again after this season.

Linsley should be the next one in line.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If my maths (that one's just for you, SkyKing ;)) is correct Taylor will count $4.35 million against the cap in 2017, which is an increase of only $1.25 million over his previous one for this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Arguing semantics, but since cap space can be rolled over, does it really matter whether you take the hit now or later?

As HRE mentioned its actually a smaller hit now, but I would think mathematically with roll over there's never a disadvantage to deferring the hit.

I will plead ignorance here on the cap, how it rolls over and when is the best strategy to actually spend it on a future "purchase". TT and Ball do an excellent job with the cap and I don't ever seeing a player being released because we HAD TO to clear cap space for something else. Just good budgeting of current and future funds along with playing the commodities market.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion it's a good deal for the Packers signing an ascending starting offensive lineman to a reasonable contract. If the front office had waited until after this season it might have taken Lang/Sitton money to re-sign him.

It's smart to keep the cap hit at a minimum early in a contract to protect the team against either injury or a decline in performance. You're correct that if he stays with the Packers for the entire length of the contract it actually doesn't matter how it was structured though.

Sky King

Reaction score
Careful now, my Mom once called me a "son of a *****".....I couldn't help but point out to her the ramifications of her remark. ;)
Ask her if she would prefer the more Mother-flattering "Son-of-a-gun!"

Or, maybe like a friend of ours proudly proclaims whenever her husband call her a *****, "So? You say it like there's something wrong with that."

H

HardRightEdge

Is there a Costco in GB?
Yes, yes there is. I don't live there but my detailed research indicates there is one in Green Bay and one in Appleton.

My research also shows there has been a marked increase in collisions between texters and hansom cabs. The Amish carriage is not dissimilar from the hansom cab other than being enclosed. Perhaps Amish Mafia could share his thoughts on this critical issue.

Sky King

Reaction score
Yes, yes there is. I don't live there but my detailed research indicates there is one in Green Bay and one in Appleton.

My research also shows there has been a marked increase in collisions between texters and hansom cabs. The Amish carriage is not dissimilar from the hansom cab other than being enclosed. Perhaps Amish Mafia could share his thoughts on this critical issue.

Amish is busy at the moment:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts