Packers sign ILB Jordan Tripp

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read the team has signed Jordan Tripp ILB who was with Seattle earlier this season. Don't know much other than I remember watching some athletic play his rookie year in Miami. If you ask me I would of much rather have Scooby Wright ILB who was on the Browns PS but was just signed to the Cardinals active roster! Very good football player, that can prove his doubters wrong with a chance!!! Hopefully Tripp can bring some decent depth at ILB. Not sure how long Martinez is injured?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read the team has signed Jordan Tripp ILB who was with Seattle earlier this season. Don't know much other than I remember watching some athletic play his rookie year in Miami. If you ask me I would of much rather have Scooby Wright ILB who was on the Browns PS but was just signed to the Cardinals active roster! Very good football player, that can prove his doubters wrong with a chance!!! Hopefully Tripp can bring some decent depth at ILB. Not sure how long Martinez is injured?

Not being able to make the worst roster in the league isnt a good sign for Scooby Wright

D

Deleted member 6794

Tripp has been a below average inside linebacker for all of his career. I don´t expect a huge impact out of him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bigger story here to me is, does this mean they are concerned about Martinez coming back anytime soon or just getting more depth at a pretty thin position?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I didn't see Clay playing any ILB on Sunday, which makes sense, as he seems to be playing one armed with that bum shoulder. That leaves Ryan, Thomas and Burnett as able bodies to cover the position. While I don't expect much out of Tripp and hope we don't even see him playing, at least TT didn't wait until the need at ILB was dire.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*raises his hand* I was a Scooby Wright fan. Shows you how much I know about football! :speechless:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read he had a thigh injury with Seahawks and just came off IR. Wondering if he can stay healthy!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys get put on IR and then waived for a variety of reasons, not just because it's a severe injury. I'm sure that has to pass a physical.

The big thing that this points to me is that Martinez isn't progressing and this is a stop-gap measure for depth.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bigger story here to me is, does this mean they are concerned about Martinez coming back anytime soon or just getting more depth at a pretty thin position?

It's possible that means Martinez will be out for some more weeks. We have to wait to figure that out most likely until Sunday though.

Exactly, the only Linebacker news I want to hear is Martinez and Ryan are healthy and starting

Burnett and Thomas did a great job vs. the Seahawks at inside linebacker. I expect them to get most of the snaps against teams with a formidable tight end moving forward.

I could be wrong, but I didn't see Clay playing any ILB on Sunday, which makes sense, as he seems to be playing one armed with that bum shoulder. That leaves Ryan, Thomas and Burnett as able bodies to cover the position. While I don't expect much out of Tripp and hope we don't even see him playing, at least TT didn't wait until the need at ILB was dire.

Matthews didn't play inside at all and Ryan only got a total of eight snaps on Sunday.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Omg this guy can't shed a block to save his life...wtf is TT doing? I just don't get the signings this guy makes. Schneider must have had something to do with this in sure. Revenge!!

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFL? No. Have you? College don't count no more. Time to put on his big boy pants and earn his spot. He hasn't done it yet. Nothing says he will.
In preseason I did watch him play. He made a few impressive play. College gives you an idea of what type of football player you will be going forward so I will have to disagree with you there.

D

Deleted member 6794

In preseason I did watch him play. He made a few impressive play. College gives you an idea of what type of football player you will be going forward so I will have to disagree with you there.

Tripp has performed on a below average level for all of his three years in the NFL. I wouldn't expect any impact out of him especially as he doesn't know the defensive scheme. At this point in his career preseason and college don't mean a whole lot anymore.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have the walking wounded at ilb and olb and you bring in a guy who just got off IR for a leg injury? If the Packers never win another SB under the TT regime I wouldn't be shocked at all. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You have the walking wounded at ilb and old and you bring in a guy who just got off IR for a leg injury? If the Packers never win another SB under the TT regime I wouldn't be shocked at all. I'll leave it at that.
I get what you are saying but, were there other options at ILB out there? I don't know the answer, just asking the question. My guess is, the position needed fortifying and TT felt this was the best option available. Anyone have a list of better options?

D

Deleted member 6794

I get what you are saying but, were there other options at ILB out there? I don't know the answer, just asking the question. My guess is, the position needed fortifying and TT felt this was the best option available. Anyone have a list of better options?

I don´t believe there were any better options available to improve the inside linebacker position at this point of the season. With the emergence of Burnett as a hybrid linebacker/safety I was surprised Thompson felt it was necessary to add depth to it.

Members online

Latest posts