Packers sign free agent

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@MikeVandermause: #Packers LB Brad Jones receives 3-year, $11.75 million deal, according to @seankjensen of Chicago Sun-Times: http://t.co/Kghe99CpBv

Ted never ceases to amaze me when he does spend money, it's overpaying average players

We really care about our back ups back ups that play special teams here in GB. Good thing we dumped 12 mil over 3 years for a guy that will only see playing time if something bad happens >.<

H

HardRightEdge

@MikeVandermause: #Packers LB Brad Jones receives 3-year, $11.75 million deal, according to @seankjensen of Chicago Sun-Times: http://t.co/Kghe99CpBv

Ted never ceases to amaze me when he does spend money, it's overpaying average players

We'd have to conclude Jones is expected start and there are serious concerns about Bishop and Smith. I know I'd be concerned with those kinds of injuries. This deal is too rich for just a Plan B insurance policy.

On second thought, it could be both Plan B and Plan C...Jones can play inside and outside. Still, a lot of dough for a non-playmaking LB, especially in this buyers market.

Very conservative from a roster standpoint; aggressive from a $ standpoint.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's their best linebacker in coverage, can play inside and outside and is a very good special teams player. A lot of teams would have been way worse off losing their #1 and #2 ILBs last year than we ended up being, and he's only 27. After one year as an ILB he seems to have more upside than Hawk does, so I don't mind him making more.

Honestly, the think I'm most excited about is seeing how Manning looks this year. He was supposed to be a diamond in the rough guy who came out too soon and if he's healthy, maybe he makes some of these guys obsolete.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just when I was beginning to come around to thinking positive about Thompson. What have you TT-ophiles got to say about this shameful waste of money?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'd have to conclude Jones is expected start and there are serious concerns about Bishop and Smith. I know I'd be concerned with those kinds of injuries. This deal is too rich for just a Plan B insurance policy.

On second thought, it could be both Plan B and Plan C...Jones can play inside and outside. Still, a lot of dough for a non-playmaking LB, especially in this buyers market.

Very conservative from a roster standpoint; aggressive from a $ standpoint.

I agree. 3 years/$11.75M is a lot of money for a reserve. Jones is going to be on the field somewhere. He might start in place of Bishop/Smith or move outside as insurance for Perry.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This also might be the start of the Packers cleaning house over the next one or two seasons. With Rodgers' contract predicted to eat up 15% - 20% of the salary cap, the Packers might be on their way to getting rid of players like AJ Hawk, Desmond Bishop and Tramon Williams and replacing them with Jones, a draft pick and Heyward or House.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way people, this isn't the NBA. If they decided that Manning or Smith or Jones is better than Hawk, Hawk will be gone. 4mil a year for an ILB is starter money, so they may just be waiting to see how Smith/Manning /future draft picks develop and need someone to fill in while they do it. Also, Bishop hasn't exactly been sturdy and they just lost a core special teamer in Crabtree. Look at the big picture folks. This isn't that bizarre.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way people, this isn't the NBA. If they decided that Manning or Smith or Jones is better than Hawk, Hawk will be gone. 4mil a year for an ILB is starter money, so they may just be waiting to see how Smith/Manning /future draft picks develop and need someone to fill in while they do it. Also, Bishop hasn't exactly been sturdy and they just lost a core special teamer in Crabtree. Look at the big picture folks. This isn't that bizarre.

Im not confused about the dollar amount and how that applies to a starting ILB. Im confused as to the thought that Brad Jones is a starting quality LB.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Im not confused about the dollar amount and how that applies to a starting ILB. Im confused as to the thought that Brad Jones is a starting quality LB.

You sir, are not alone on this one. I don't see giving him that much cash as a starter given his performance, they just don't match up. Maybe TT signed gave that deal after downing a 12 pack? Who knows, but this **** is confusing to me.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score

d

WOW! I know he is versitile can play both ILB and OLB, but he is a backup and special teamer. How do you justify doing this deal and pass on Jenkins or Canty for 3 years and $8 million. This makes no sense to me.

Gopackgo520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
d

WOW! I know he is versitile can play both ILB and OLB, but he is a backup and special teamer. How do you justify doing this deal and pass on Jenkins or Canty for 3 years and $8 million. This makes no sense to me.

I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm here... Brad Jones is average at best. Look at the tape on him..

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm normally a defender of TT, but this is baffling to me.

We are now paying 3 ILB's starter money. We already have a number of quality backups. Of all the ways in which we are frugal, I can't believe he did this.

Canty signed for 3/$8M, so did Jenkins. Now we sign Jones for 3/$12. I just don't understand it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well 9 teams were interested in him, with 4 entering contract talks with him. Obviously numerous front offices felt he is starter material

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying he's the best linebacker in coverage doesn't pass the eye test. Compared to who? Well maybe Hawk. :rolleyes: He absolutely isn't good in coverage. He gave up 6 1/2 plays of 20 yards or more.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well 9 teams were interested in him, with 4 entering contract talks with him. Obviously numerous front offices felt he is starter material

9 teams were interested enough that Jones walked right on back to GB for the big fat paycheck none of these 9 others teams were willing to offer.

If we can also agree that the contract numbers Jones signed for are alike those of a starting ILB. Can we not then also say that they were not thinking he was of starting caliber?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9 teams were interested enough that Jones walked right on back to GB for the big fat paycheck none of these 9 others teams were willing to offer.

TT let him set the market and made him a fair market offer for a desirable player.

Sorry he isn't a guy at the tail end of his career with a famous name.

A much better signing than walden

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT let him set the market and made him a fair market offer for a desirable player.

Sorry he isn't a guy at the tail end of his career with a famous name.

A much better signing than walden

My point exactly, a fair market value for a back up LB in FA is toooo damn high. Usually why the packers dont play a big part in FA. I just dont see the rush to sign him today at that price. If you do, that's fine. To each their own.

Clearly you have had a long off season to throw me into "that" crowd just because I don't think Brad Jones is worth 4 mil a year. If I have ever made a post that suggested anything to really make me one of those guys I sincerely apologize because those guys are annoying as hell.

Lastly, I agree its a better signing than Walden the only Packers LB worse than Brad Jones. Brad Jones brings some versatility and I would imagine that paired with his special teams contributions (ala Jarret Bush) snagged him this contract. Hopefully he makes his money on special teams and not on D that's all I'm saying.

H

HardRightEdge

By the way people, this isn't the NBA. If they decided that Manning or Smith or Jones is better than Hawk, Hawk will be gone.

Hawk will not be released this season. To ask a guy to take a pay cut, then turn around and cut him in training camp or preseason, would be bad faith. Such a move would have denied him his best opportunity to catch on somewhere else. One could criticize TT for a lot of things, but shabby dealings is not one of them.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point exactly, a fair market value for a back up LB in FA is toooo damn high. Usually why the packers dont play a big part in FA. I just dont see the rush to sign him today at that price. If you do, that's fine. To each their own.

Clearly you have had a long off season to throw me into "that" crowd just because I don't think Brad Jones is worth 4 mil a year. If I have ever made a post that suggested anything to really make me one of those guys I sincerely apologize because those guys are annoying as hell.

Lastly, I agree its a better signing than Walden the only Packers LB worse than Brad Jones. Brad Jones brings some versatility and I would imagine that paired with his special teams contributions (ala Jarret Bush) snagged him this contract. Hopefully he makes his money on special teams and not on D that's all I'm saying.

You really think hawk is better than jones?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You gotta be kidding me!!!:poop: some of you guy's killed me for saying bring in Freeney for 3 yr's at 12 mil lol. This is exactly why i think the way i do about TT. Terrible sigining. Jones is worth about 1 mil a yr at best. I'd rather him not sign anybody of he's going to just blow money on backup ability. TT is an idiot for this signing im sorry.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta be kidding me!!!:poop: some of you guy's killed me for saying bring in Freeney for 3 yr's at 12 mil lol. This is exactly why i think the way i do about TT. Terrible sigining. Jones is worth about 1 mil a yr at best. I'd rather him not sign anybody of he's going to just blow money on backup ability. TT is an idiot for this signing im sorry.

This is one of THOSE guys

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodell, give it up on the Freeney thing, man. It has nothing to do with this. Freeney is not coming here nor would that be a good deal in substitute as mentioned a million times before. I don't even know why you ever even brought him up.

Members online

Latest posts