1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Packers sign free agent

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Mar 21, 2013.

1. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    We really care about our back ups back ups that play special teams here in GB. Good thing we dumped 12 mil over 3 years for a guy that will only see playing time if something bad happens >.<

2. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,563
    We'd have to conclude Jones is expected start and there are serious concerns about Bishop and Smith. I know I'd be concerned with those kinds of injuries. This deal is too rich for just a Plan B insurance policy.

On second thought, it could be both Plan B and Plan C...Jones can play inside and outside. Still, a lot of dough for a non-playmaking LB, especially in this buyers market.

Very conservative from a roster standpoint; aggressive from a $ standpoint.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Einstein McFly

Einstein McFly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +235
    He's their best linebacker in coverage, can play inside and outside and is a very good special teams player. A lot of teams would have been way worse off losing their #1 and #2 ILBs last year than we ended up being, and he's only 27. After one year as an ILB he seems to have more upside than Hawk does, so I don't mind him making more.

Honestly, the think I'm most excited about is seeing how Manning looks this year. He was supposed to be a diamond in the rough guy who came out too soon and if he's healthy, maybe he makes some of these guys obsolete.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Just when I was beginning to come around to thinking positive about Thompson. What have you TT-ophiles got to say about this shameful waste of money?

5. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    I agree. 3 years/$11.75M is a lot of money for a reserve. Jones is going to be on the field somewhere. He might start in place of Bishop/Smith or move outside as insurance for Perry.

6. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    This also might be the start of the Packers cleaning house over the next one or two seasons. With Rodgers' contract predicted to eat up 15% - 20% of the salary cap, the Packers might be on their way to getting rid of players like AJ Hawk, Desmond Bishop and Tramon Williams and replacing them with Jones, a draft pick and Heyward or House.

7. Einstein McFly

Einstein McFly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +235
    By the way people, this isn't the NBA. If they decided that Manning or Smith or Jones is better than Hawk, Hawk will be gone. 4mil a year for an ILB is starter money, so they may just be waiting to see how Smith/Manning /future draft picks develop and need someone to fill in while they do it. Also, Bishop hasn't exactly been sturdy and they just lost a core special teamer in Crabtree. Look at the big picture folks. This isn't that bizarre.

8. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    Im not confused about the dollar amount and how that applies to a starting ILB. Im confused as to the thought that Brad Jones is a starting quality LB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    You sir, are not alone on this one. I don't see giving him that much cash as a starter given his performance, they just don't match up. Maybe TT signed gave that deal after downing a 12 pack? Who knows, but this sh!t is confusing to me.

10. J Mills

J Mills Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    d

WOW! I know he is versitile can play both ILB and OLB, but he is a backup and special teamer. How do you justify doing this deal and pass on Jenkins or Canty for 3 years and $8 million. This makes no sense to me.

11. Gopackgo520

Gopackgo520 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm here... Brad Jones is average at best. Look at the tape on him..

12. J Mills

J Mills Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    More genuine shock than sarcasm

13. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,433
    Yeah, I'm normally a defender of TT, but this is baffling to me.

We are now paying 3 ILB's starter money. We already have a number of quality backups. Of all the ways in which we are frugal, I can't believe he did this.

Canty signed for 3/$8M, so did Jenkins. Now we sign Jones for 3/$12. I just don't understand it.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    Well 9 teams were interested in him, with 4 entering contract talks with him. Obviously numerous front offices felt he is starter material

15. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Saying he's the best linebacker in coverage doesn't pass the eye test. Compared to who? Well maybe Hawk. :rolleyes: He absolutely isn't good in coverage. He gave up 6 1/2 plays of 20 yards or more.

16. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    9 teams were interested enough that Jones walked right on back to GB for the big fat paycheck none of these 9 others teams were willing to offer.

If we can also agree that the contract numbers Jones signed for are alike those of a starting ILB. Can we not then also say that they were not thinking he was of starting caliber?

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    TT let him set the market and made him a fair market offer for a desirable player.

Sorry he isn't a guy at the tail end of his career with a famous name.

A much better signing than walden

18. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Up until the 2012 injury Bishop has been a durable player for the Packers.

19. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    My point exactly, a fair market value for a back up LB in FA is toooo damn high. Usually why the packers dont play a big part in FA. I just dont see the rush to sign him today at that price. If you do, that's fine. To each their own.

Clearly you have had a long off season to throw me into "that" crowd just because I don't think Brad Jones is worth 4 mil a year. If I have ever made a post that suggested anything to really make me one of those guys I sincerely apologize because those guys are annoying as hell.

Lastly, I agree its a better signing than Walden the only Packers LB worse than Brad Jones. Brad Jones brings some versatility and I would imagine that paired with his special teams contributions (ala Jarret Bush) snagged him this contract. Hopefully he makes his money on special teams and not on D that's all I'm saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,563
    Hawk will not be released this season. To ask a guy to take a pay cut, then turn around and cut him in training camp or preseason, would be bad faith. Such a move would have denied him his best opportunity to catch on somewhere else. One could criticize TT for a lot of things, but shabby dealings is not one of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    You really think hawk is better than jones?

22. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    Yes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013

You gotta be kidding me!!!:poop: some of you guy's killed me for saying bring in Freeney for 3 yr's at 12 mil lol. This is exactly why i think the way i do about TT. Terrible sigining. Jones is worth about 1 mil a yr at best. I'd rather him not sign anybody of he's going to just blow money on backup ability. TT is an idiot for this signing im sorry.

24. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211

This is one of THOSE guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,433
    Rodell, give it up on the Freeney thing, man. It has nothing to do with this. Freeney is not coming here nor would that be a good deal in substitute as mentioned a million times before. I don't even know why you ever even brought him up.

• Winner Winner x 1