Packers Sign Eight

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Packers.com

Packers Sign Eight To Future Contracts

The Green Bay Packers have signed wide receiver Carlton Brewster, linebacker Spencer Havner, offensive lineman Travis Leffew, safety Alvin Nnabuife, wide receiver Calvin Russell, guard Adam Stenavich, tackle Orrin Thompson and cornerback Tramon Williams to reserve/future contracts. The signings were announced Tuesday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

All eight players concluded the 2006 season on the Packers' practice squad, and all but Thompson, who was a first-year player, were rookies in 2006.

Brewster and Russell were with the Packers in 2006 training camp. Brewster joined the club in an Aug. 22 trade from Cleveland, then spent the season's final 11 weeks on the practice squad. Russell, on the practice squad for all 17 regular-season weeks, originally signed as a non-drafted free agent.

Leffew had two stints on the practice squad, sandwiched around a stretch on the 53-man roster of the Dallas Cowboys, who signed him Nov. 21.

Nnabuife (pronounced nah-BOO-fee), Havner (HEY-vner), Stenavich, Thompson and Williams (trah-MAHN) all signed to the practice squad during the regular season.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope TT gives Carlyle Holliday a contract for 2007, he's worth a one year deal at least.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off topic and dumb question, if you are on the practice squad, do you get paid?

I was looking at it and wondered what those guys do outside of practice... they have to be there every day (I assume) for practice and they are trying to break into the NFL on a roster, but do they have to like flip burgers or something so they can pay for their apartments etc until they make a team somewhere?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stenavich is from Marshfield, I believe, and was a starter for a couple of seasons at Michigan at left tackle. He's listed here as a guard.

He's a hair on the blubbery side for zone blocking, but I suspect he's worth a look. They need some help a backup o-linemen.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, you can allocate more than the 4K to your practices squad players if you want.

Tollefson was getting more than the practice squad minimum. The Packers wanted to keep him around. I am suprised not to see his name on the list.

He should be part of the 80 player roster when this time comes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Even tho someone posted it, here is an artcile I found..

Each NFL team may keep up to eight members on their "practice squad" in addition to their 53-member main roster. They consist mostly of rookies who were cut in training camps and borderline NFL-caliber players. Both rookies and young veterans are eligible for the practice squad.

However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than two seasons. Practice squad players practice alongside regular roster players during the week; however they are not allowed to play in actual games. They are paid considerably less that active squad players ($4000 per week or $64,000 per season, in comparison to the NFL minimum rookie salary of $225,000).

They are also ineligible for many fringe benefits such as service time, pensions, and the like. They hope to be promoted to the active roster either by their current team, or by another team who is scouting them.

They retain free agent status and may sign with any team they wish without compensation to the original team.

Many are former college players living in the surrounding city area, and the vast majority of them are forced to take other jobs to help support themselves during the season and off-season.

~~~~~~

They need other jobs?????????? 4 grand a week isnt enough?

robfuhr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can a player spend two years on the practice squad with one team and then attempt to make a team in another city and be on their practice squad or is the 2 year limit for the player or the team/player.

Members online

Latest posts