Packers Sign Dorsey Levens....So He Can Retire A Packer

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay - In a symbolic move, the Green Bay Packers on Thursday signed former Pro Bowl running back Dorsey Levens so that he can officially retire Friday a member of the team with which he began his National Football League career.

General manager Ted Thompson confirmed the transaction late Thursday afternoon through a team spokesman.

A fifth-round pick in 1994 by then-general manager Ron Wolf, Levens went on to play eight seasons for the Packers. In those eight seasons, Levens rushed 1,006 times for 3,927 yards and 28 touchdowns and caught 271 passes for 2079 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Levens' best season came in 1997, when he rushed 329 times for 1,435 yards and seven touchdowns and caught 53 passes for 370 yards and five touchdowns.

Levens also played for the Philadelphia Eagles and the New York Giants, with his final season coming with the Eagles in 2004.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still got his jersey...

I still got his jersey in my locker.

He just revitalised my admiration for him with this classy move.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's awesome for Levens to retire a Packer...

Now, 2 questions for you all

1) Does he belong in the Packer Hall of Fame?

2) Is anyone else out there sick to their stomachs that Holmgren didn't give the ball to him in the 2nd half against the Broncos in SB XXXII? He tore them up in the first half and then vanished in the 2nd.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:

2) Is anyone else out there sick to their stomachs that Holmgren didn't give the ball to him in the 2nd half against the Broncos in SB XXXII? He tore them up in the first half and then vanished in the 2nd.

1) I'm torn on that one, I'm leaning towards no. I think he was more average than HOF material.

2) I still don't understand that and I guess I never will. At the end of that game I pretty much felt like Holmgren threw it although in my heart I don't really believe that.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:

Yes, and yes. In the PACKER Hall Of Fame, not in the NFL hall.
He did enough for the team to warrant it in my view.

And Gakk.........instead of holding out, i plan on PROVING my value to this site with my constant barrage of witty comebacks and insight! 8) :lol:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorsey came in and did well when media types just looked at his draft position. The 13th RB drafted in the 6th round of 1994. It was getting players of this quality late in the draft (or good coaching that developed late round picks) that helped the Packers become a great team.

Dorsey didn't say a lot of negative things about the Packers or Green Bay after he left. I don't recall much negative said about him.

He stepped up when Bennett went down with injury. He played well and in my opinion was overused for a time by the Packers. Injury limited his career.

Other than winning playoff games one should remember Dorsey for what he did in a game at Lambeau against the Cowboys. I consider that his best performance.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a real good back, but I do not believe he belongs in the Packer HOF. Didn't set any significant records, nor did he have multiple seasons of exceptional performance. Hugh level performance, but not exceptional.

To this day I wonder what went through Holmgren's brain shutting down the running game in SB XXXII. I do recall, however, that Dorsey said he might provide insight into the decision after his career is over.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game he had in the NFC title game against Carolina was huge. Majkowski made it into the Pack HOF because of one season, i think Levens did enough. He's 5th all time on the Packers RB list, and had the 3rd best ever season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Dorsey wouldn't of got hurt, I think he'd hold some Packer records right now. Great career for Levens and he helped with our Super Bowl runs in the late 90's.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Definite Packer HOF. He certainly gave it his all while playing for GB. A class act all of his career and deserves to be elected to GB's HOF.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts