packers sign chillar

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I think Poppinga is going to start.

I'm just glad to see him have some serious competition. If he does win, I really think it will improve his level of play, and if not, improve Chillar's play level.

win win. Yay!

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Swarmin' Mormon vs. The Pillar of Chillar

That's going to be a great battle to keep track of during training camp and pre-season.

Is that 3 FA signings and a re-signing this year so far?

This offseason is going well so far.

Chillar is the only UFA we've brought in so far that wasn't on the team last year. These are in essense the moves (and non-moves) that have affected the Packers so far in FA:

- Sent franchise tagged Corey Willams to Cleveland for their 2008 2nd round draft pick (#56 overall)
- Cut TE Bubba Franks
- Cut WR Carlyle Holiday
- Brett Favre retired
- Lost UFA CB Frank Walker to Baltimore with an over-paid 2-year, $3.5 million deal
- Slapped RFA DT Colin Cole with a second round, $1.4 million tender
- Signed waived OG Joe Toledo from Miami
- Re-signed UFA LB Tracy White to a 2 year, $1.8 million deal
- Signed UFA LB Brandon Chillar from St. Louis for a 2 year, $5.2 million deal

Now, this doesn't include all the players we've brought in for visits and what not, but it had been a relatively quiet off-season outside of Brett retiring and the Corey Willaims trade until we signed Chillar today.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but it had been a relatively quiet off-season outside of Brett retiring and the Corey Willaims trade until we signed Chillar today.

quiet compared to what? not compared to last year...

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More or less 2006 when we signed Woodson, Pickett, and Manuel which was pretty much TT's biggest to date.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hunch you can bet the Packers add a #2 QB and I've been reading they like Kris Wilson so he might be in play too. I think GB is quietly having a quality off season outside for Favre retiring.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hunch you can bet the Packers add a #2 QB and I've been reading they like Kris Wilson so he might be in play too. I think GB is quietly having a quality off season outside for Favre retiring.

Who is this Kris Wilson guy?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chillar signing is interesting in light of last week's report that the Packers had begun negotiations with Brady Poppinga on a contract extension. That article mentioned that the Packers had been pursuing Chillar but the two sides appeared to be far apart on money, so apparently the Packers had decided to just go ahead and work on an extension for Poppinga.

I suspect that the Chillar deal puts the talks with Poppinga on hold. Poppinga is at his best playing at the line of scrimmage and getting into the backfield, so I agree with others here that he might be a good situational pass rusher, and someone who could give Aaron Kampman some much-needed breaks. Plus the linebacker depth has now been addressed, with Tracy White recently resigned and Desmond Bishop probably coming back. Where the Packers lacked depth, they now look to be in pretty good shape. Nice work, TT!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

That's going to be a great battle to keep track of during training camp and pre-season.

Chillar is the only UFA we've brought in so far that wasn't on the team last year. These are in essense the moves (and non-moves) that have affected the Packers so far in FA:

- Sent franchise tagged Corey Willams to Cleveland for their 2008 2nd round draft pick (#56 overall)
- Cut TE Bubba Franks
- Cut WR Carlyle Holiday
- Brett Favre retired
- Lost UFA CB Frank Walker to Baltimore with an over-paid 2-year, $3.5 million deal

Now, this doesn't include all the players we've brought in for visits and what not, but it had been a relatively quiet off-season outside of Brett retiring and the Corey Willaims trade until we signed Chillar today.

Also Rob Davis retired. That and Favre's retirement were the ones that hit me the hardest, because now I'm older than any Packer player. :(

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:

- Cut TE Bubba Franks
- Cut WR Carlyle Holiday
- Brett Favre retired

Signed waived OG Joe Toledo from Miami

If he was waived, doesn't that make him a Free Agent?

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think ultimately at the end of the day he could have had the ability to get more money elsewhere," Ivler said. "But he was comfortable with what Green Bay had to say and he realizes it's a winning program and a great organization and he wants a chance at the Super Bowl.

"I think that of all the teams that were talking to him when we got down to the nitty gritty, the Packers have the best shot at that. He wants to be on a competitive, winning team. That was absolutely a big thing."

Love it.
Agreed, that's what I like to hear.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

TE from the Chiefs. They used him more as a FB though but he was a TE in college at I believe Pittsburgh. I think he was a 4th round pick. McCarthy likes his TE to be able to line up at FB on occasion so he would have experience at that. I think as a #2 he'd be nice but he's not going to push Donald Lee for the starting job. They'd have to look via trade or draft for that.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Retired
Rob Davis Retired.

i think after that our average age on this team is around 13.5 years old? i think im pretty close on that, give or take a year of course.

someone look that up. or figure it out.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
porky88 said:

TE from the Chiefs. They used him more as a FB though but he was a TE in college at I believe Pittsburgh. I think he was a 4th round pick. McCarthy likes his TE to be able to line up at FB on occasion so he would have experience at that. I think as a #2 he'd be nice but he's not going to push Donald Lee for the starting job. They'd have to look via trade or draft for that.

Ah, I remember now. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
RainX said:
tromadz said:

- Cut TE Bubba Franks
- Cut WR Carlyle Holiday
- Brett Favre retired

Signed waived OG Joe Toledo from Miami

If he was waived, doesn't that make him a Free Agent?

Thanks for all not rushing in to help answer... geesh :p

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Thanks for all not rushing in to help answer... geesh :p

Mr. Rain was just stating where he was waived from i believe.

I see, but wouldn't that mean he's a Free Agent? He was able to sign with any team, right?

I honestly don't know and haven't taken the time to look it up. I figured someone would come out with a clear cut intelligent answer, but I'm thinking no one really knows lol.

I suppose a FA is a player who's contract expired.
Being waived is a team terminating the players contract.

Either way, their both on the market for any team, right?

Reaction score
Being waived is a team terminating the players contract.

I think it's appropriate to say that was the last step.

A player waived (such as OG Joe Toledo - with less than 4 years of experience) had to clear waivers first, so the Dolphins essentially offered Toledo in a trade that would net them nothing except minimal cap savings.

When Toledo cleared waivers, that's when the team terminated his contract.

Members online

Latest posts