Packers sign at least 3 Undrafted Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Green Bay - Of the three undrafted free agents the Green Bay Packers are known to have agreed to terms with on Sunday night, Rory Johnson stands out.

A 6-foot, 235-pound linebacker out of Mississippi, Johnson played alongside No. 11 overall pick Patrick Willis as a junior last season and projected as a third-round pick after recording 94 tackles and forcing five turnovers.

But after word got out he had tested positive for marijuana use at both Mississippi and Hinds (Junior) College, where he played his freshman and sophomore seasons, Johnson's stock dropped like a rock.

But the Packers, noting his production and 4.58-second time in the 40-yard dash, swooped in and snatched Johnson up shortly after the draft concluded.

"I don't think there's any secret about it; he had some problems when he was in school," said his agent, Richard Kopelman. "I believe that's in Rory's past. "I don't want to be labeled as an overprotective father, but I think it's a little bit unfair to place everything into the realm of character. But that's certainly what happens in the NFL.

"So he had to overcome that. It's difficult. I spent a lot of time talking to Rory today, trying to explain to him why it is that he ended up where he is."

Kopelman said the Detroit Lions also expressed interest, but ultimately Johnson saw more opportunity in Green Bay.

"We just felt Green Bay was a great place for Rory," Kopelman said. "It's a good fit for him. We think he has an excellent chance of making the team and actually contributing this year."

One member of Green Bay's coaching staff who ultimately had a hand in helping land Johnson was special teams assistant Shawn Slocum, who spent 2005 as assistant head coach and linebackers coach at Mississippi.

The Packers also agreed to terms with 6-3, 315-pound guard Pat Murray of Division II Truman State and 6-2½, 225-pound quarterback Jerry Babb of Louisiana-LaFayette.

Babb said he chose Green Bay over Jacksonville because he saw a chance to compete for the No. 3 quarterback job, which is currently held by second-year man Ingle Martin.

"I felt like it's a good fit for me," Babb said. "There really is an opportunity. That's the thing; just go in there and compete. I think heading into this draft, all I really wanted was a shot to get into a camp to see what I can do, and that's what the Packers are offering."

Another undrafted free agent the Packers are believed to have come to terms with is Juwan Simpson, a 6-2½, 227-pound linebacker from Alabama.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I like the Rory Johnson pick, it's a low risk high reward type signing.

Picking up a 3rd round graded talent is nice, we can use him on ST and let him develop and even compete with Popp for a starters spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts