net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Packers.com
---------------------

Packers Sign TE Steve Fleming

posted 06/17/2005

Steve Fleming

The Green Bay Packers Friday signed non-drafted free agent Steve Fleming. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the addition to the roster.

A 6-foot-6, 262-pound tight end out of Arizona, Fleming spent one week earlier this spring with the New York Giants.

Fleming as a senior last fall at Arizona caught 23 passes, second on the squad, for 332 yards, a 14.4 per-catch average, with two touchdowns. A four-year letterman and two-year starter, he posted 50 career receptions for 584 yards and four touchdowns.

A quarterback and team captain in high school, Fleming led Chaparral High School (Scottsdale, Ariz.) to a state championship. Darrell Bevell, now Green Bay quarterbacks coach, also is a former Chaparral signal caller.

----

I used the NFLfans website to check this guy out and he wasn't listed among the 2005 draft tight ends. Other websites had him ranked as high as 7th.
Garrett Cross, now this guy...is Bubba on the way out? Maybe the light is also coming on about David Martin and Ben"my hands are made out of" Steele.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder if things are going south with Bubba then or what?

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's my theory. When Javon held out...in comes Murphy, Bragg and a host of others.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope not. Losing two starting guards is bad enough and then lose Bubba as well. I hope guys step up huge or the running game will definitely suffer.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't lose Bubba, he's just not going to command a huge contract because he is not a downfield threat ala Heap, Gonzales, etc. Acutually, I believe what would be his pay as a transition player is pretty fair for him. I'm glad we have him, he is a good solid player. JMHO

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Garrett Cross, now this guy...is Bubba on the way out? Maybe the light is also coming on about David Martin and Ben"my hands are made out of" Steele.

if bubba's on his way out, i hope they're not looking to udfa's to replace him...bubba doesnt have the downfield presence that gonzalez or heap gives a team, but bubba is a great guy for our short game, he'll get touchdowns every year, that's for sure.

my guess is they're trying to liven up the depth charts a little. we don't use david martin that much, we know he's probably reached his ceiling, may as well play the field for new talent at tight end (...just ask the chargers how that worked out)

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say I know much about this guy, but I sure we wish we could get some more productive backup tightends. I'm not looking for any star, but it would be nice to have a couple of backup tightends who can contribute a little similar to the way Tony Fisher does at RB. We've had a hard time devloping any decent depth there for some reason.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer like Franks as a TE, he developed into a fairly good blocker to protect good old #4 and big threat to score TDs in the Red zone. Packers in the last few years have not been using their TEs like in the past. Of coarse the trio of Driver, Feregeson and Walker have developed into a potent threat to go all the way at any time from any place on the field during the last two years and have become Brett's favorite targets. . In the Super Bowl years, the Packers had Chumura and Jackson, they are long gone, and Franks is the best the Packers have at TE thus made hime a restricted free agent. Next, year the packers will again face problem of free agency with Grady Jackson, Ahmad Green, Ryan Longwell and Franks(again.) and others. With all the packers becoming free agent next year, I don't know if they will again make Franks a restricted free agent. I think they hope that other TEs will step up and become starter quality TE. Packers will not know this until after this training camp or perhaps this season. However Fleming coming in, means more competition in training camp at the TE postition. He is undrafted FA which means he gets the minimum (rookie) money. I think they hope David Martin develops, he is in his 5th NFL year and will have to show consistancy this year or probably will not make this squad, how ever every other TE on the roster is inexperienced, although Martin might continues his role of backup to Franks because of his experience. . Packertraxx posting of his assessment of Franks is pretty accurate. There are very few players like Gonzales in NFL and his team does not have WRs like the Packer trio.Gonzales is their long ball threat. Our TEs are not asked to be ours, One will see the Packers bring in undrafted free agent for a look see during the next three months. but probably no high priced older type of player unless, someone unforseen becomes available at the a cap friendly price. Which would be a long shot and very unlikely.

Members online

Latest posts