Packers select richard Rodgers

D

Deleted member 6794

He played around 275 pounds for Tedford´s pro-style offense the first two years at Cal, dropped 30 pounds last season to fit into the new offensive scheme. Seems like he´s capable of blocking on the move, not great blocking in-line though. He could line up as a blocker in a three-point stance as well as in a two-point stance or as a receiver in motion.

I think this pick was a reach as well, but they´ve for sure talked to Tedford about him. It would out pretty well last time they trusted his evaluation.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This pick really does seem like a waste. Antonio Richardson at OT, Pierre Desir at CB are two I could have seen. Rogers is nothing more than a developmental pick, and developmental picks are destined for the Practice Squad.

I'm pretty sure Richardson and Desir would be developmental picks too if we drafted them.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive read in a few places that this guy here will be a better pro than college player. That makes sense, because most TEs are.

Here is to hoping he pans out for us and becomes a solid pass catching TE.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the problem with taking a guy rated #221 by the consensus:
He took him with the 98 pick.

He would have been there 2, 3, 4 rounds later. And if NOT, is the player really that sure of a thing, that good, that it's not worth waiting for, taking a more talented player now?

There's no way in hell Richard Rodgers was the best available player.

I will bet $10,000 right now there will be a handful of players taken after him that will prove that Rich Rodgers was NOT the BPA at that point.

This pick and the Thornton one smell like super reaches like Jerron McMillian a few years ago.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I remembered compensatory picks not being able to be traded, so this notion that we could trade up to get someone would therefore be impossible.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy looks perfect for what MM runs on offense. He seems to be able to pull the ball out of the air and make a catch in traffic. Think of how many times MM runs the TE out 10 yards and Rodgers throws a low to the ground rope to move the chains. He doesn't seem to be phased by running over the middle and seems to be able to come down with and protec the football. I don't mind the pick.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Total reach. If TT wanted a tight end so bad then why didn't he trade up 2 spots to get Niklas. This is a total "head scratcher"
Exactly! Why didn't Arizona call up TT and warn him they were taking him with the pick right before the Packers? What a bunch of buttheads! :confused:

Of our 4 picks at this point, I don't understand this one. Obviously the Packers have him rated much higher than most. Just looking at descriptions and highlights, I don't see what they are seeing. I think there are a few other TEs out there that are comparable. I will go in a wait and see mode, but I have to say, this pick has generated the least amount of excitement for me.

Just a note, some of TT's best picks were the ones that received the most criticism.

Nick Collins: I had never heard of the guy. Listed as a footnote in one of my draft guides, not listed in the others. Ranked in the 70s for CBs by Kiper.
Aaron Rodgers: Why didn't he get help for BF?!?!?!
CM3: He gave up WHAT!!!!!
Jennings: How can he not take Chad Jackson?!?!?!

etc

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whats with all the whining? i seen a big slow te that can go up amd get a jump ball. but most important i think he is a blocker for lacy/ starks/ harris/ franklin. the decent hands will only be used on decoy and goal line plays.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness, I think it was you that was on the Honey Badger and Vontaze Burfiect bandwagons... so yeah, you and jaybadger might be right on this one.

To me, this is a "Step up Ryan Taylor or you're outta here!" pick...idk.

I was, and people killed me for it! Had TT drafted those two we would have our FS and ilb that we all have been screaming for! To many special teams guys already on the roster and TT takes one in the third? Come on man.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was, and people killed me for it! Had TT drafted those two we would have our FS and ilb that we all have been screaming for! To many special teams guys already on the roster and TT takes one in the third? Come on man.

Yeah I was also wondering WTH didn't TT take a chance on Vontaze Burfict in the 7th round...the 7th round FFS. Look at him now.

/sigh

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I know its a forum, and I know people are entitled to have opinions on the current picks, but why can`t we just trust Thompson has made his choices for valid reasons ?. If by the start of the season these players are all busts ? fine, lets call for his head on a spike, but on the whole he`s more than shown he knows what he`s doing here. If we were suffering losing seasons time after time I`d get it, but we are one of the best teams in the damn NFL. We have possibly the best QB in the NFL today, we have one of the best receiving corps, and a running back that is on course to be a HOF candidate, and with a bit of luck with injuries this season, the makings of a great defense. Just my opinion, and you can shoot me, but we are looking good this season.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Needless to say there is a lot of "huh?" with this one. I just don't see it but we are all guessing until we see him on the field. I honestly thought DJ Williams out of Arkansas would be a nice player and he is a bum so who knows? This guy doesn't do a thing for me but I am also not a professional. Fingers crossed TT sees something we don't...

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You already know he'll amount to only special teams? Impressive you can be so sure of that already.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is the worst reasoning I've seen on these forums. Not many GMs will look good if you take away their very best picks.

Except for the ones that build and add good players around him. ;) prove it you ask? Ok sure , remember what happen when Brady went down? patriots still won what 11 games? I get your point tho.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of our 3rd rounders were wasted picks, imo. Very unlike Ted.

I won't call them wasted picks because they may contribute (and I hope they do), but I'll gladly label them poor values.

Paging Carl: we've got some grumbling about the Rodgers pick...

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except for the ones that build and add good players around him. ;) prove it you ask? Ok sure , remember what happen when Brady went down? patriots still won what 11 games? I get your point tho.

Remember what happened to the Colts, Vikings, and Texans when their QB's either got hurt or started sucking? Patriots were the exception.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never judge a draft pick until we have seen them play. Its really hard to judge a player before they even take an NFL snap. I think its extremely shortsighted and dumb to do so.

So lets wait and see before we anoint this pick a bust.

Members online

Latest posts