Packers select HAHA

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, if Perry had demonstrated ability to cover or look less than dreadful in the open field
So the Packers should have just replaced players they might lose next year, thereby not IMPROVING over last season? If the Packers simply addressed the potential losses of Cobb or Williams, all we would have done is have a guy on the bench for a year to replace one of them later. A later round pick could do that since they'll have a year to develop.
Hyde would have improved the safety position. Peppers should be an improvement (hard to see how he couldn't be). Having Bulaga back should be an improvement.

Wideouts and cover corners...gotta have them...and wideouts in particular need a year to learn their trade.

A trade down with Cleveland would have gotten us another 3rd. rounder. At that point we could have taken either Lee or Nix (to replace Raji and add bulk at DE in base when the situation calls for it). Then in the 2nd. round and 3 third rounders I would have been looking for a CB, S, ILB and OLB with those picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hyde would have improved the safety position. Wideouts and cover corners...gotta have them...and wideouts in particular need a year to learn their trade. There are 8 more picks (at this point) after round 1.

A trade down with Cleveland would have gotten us another 3rd. rounder. At that point would could have taken either Lee or Nix (to replace Raji and add bulk at DE in base when the situation calls for it). 2nd. round and 3 third rounders....I would have been looking for a CB, S, ILB and OLB with those picks.

There´s no guarantee Hyde would have improved the safety position. Safety was one of the biggest needs going into the draft and Thompson addressed it in the first round. It´s possible both WR and CB could become an issue in 2015 (depending on who will be re-signed after next season), but we should be fine at those positions going into 2014. I´m still in favour of drafting a WR today and a CB tomorrow, but I´m totally fine with selection Clinton-Dix in the first.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have watched every single Alabama game since Dix was starting for them (Im a die hard Alabama fan and I know and understand their roster and players very well) as well as SEC Football in general.

Clinton Dix is the most talented player to come out of that secondary since Nick Saban came to Alabama. He was the QB of their secondary and the REAL leader of their defense despite the accolades that Mosley got. Dix was their vocal leader. He was always in guys faces on the sideline trying to help them pick their games up if they were struggling.

He reminds me of Darren Sharper. If I had to compare him to an NFL player past or present, then Darren Sharper is very much that player. We all know the kind of player that Sharper was too. So if hes anything like Sharper was, then we'll be more than happy.

Also, dont forget, Saban pulls his defense when the Tide starts blowing out teams. So Alabama defenders will not have gaudy statistics. Even though Dix's stats were not that bad in themselves. However, if Dix played for Ohio State, or some other team that had to play all four quarters habitually, then his statistics would have been gaudy. He'd have easily been a 100+ tackle, 5 INT per year type of Safety in College if he had played for someone else other than Alabama.

Dix was absolutely the best overall Safety in this draft.

He would have been a first round pick in last years draft too.

He'll be starting on day 1 and I will not be surprised if hes calling the shots in our secondary from day 1 either. Hes a smart player.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

There´s no guarantee Hyde would have improved the safety position. Safety was one of the biggest needs going into the draft and Thompson addressed it in the first round. It´s possible both WR and CB could become an issue in 2015 (depending on who will be re-signed after next season), but we should be fine at those positions going into 2014. I´m still in favour of drafting a WR today and a CB tomorrow, but I´m totally fine with selection Clinton-Dix in the first.
Anybody could improve the safety position. I don't think it can be underestimated how a bad a football player M.D. Jennings is.
Don´t think that has anything to do with it. There never was a plan to retire Woodson´s number and they probably asked Clinton-Dix to chose a vacant one.
Nope. The Packers assigned him the number.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anybody could improve the safety position. I don't think it can be underestimated how a bad a football player M.D. Jennings is.

Probably true. Neverthless I expect Clinton-Dix to have more of an impact that Hyde would have been able to provide.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, if Perry had demonstrated ability to cover or look less than dreadful in the open field

Hyde would have improved the safety position. Peppers should be an improvement (hard to see how he couldn't be). Having Bulaga back should be an improvement.

Wideouts and cover corners...gotta have them...and wideouts in particular need a year to learn their trade.

A trade down with Cleveland would have gotten us another 3rd. rounder. At that point we could have taken either Lee or Nix (to replace Raji and add bulk at DE in base when the situation calls for it). Then in the 2nd. round and 3 third rounders I would have been looking for a CB, S, ILB and OLB with those picks.

I like drafting Dix and keeping Hyde at corner. Can never have enough corners in this passing league, especially with Hayward having hamstring injuries, which could very well happen again.

H

HardRightEdge

Neverthless I expect Clinton-Dix to have more of an impact that Hyde would have been able to provide.
I would not necessarily argue with that. But we've seen Hyde play NFL football and he belongs.

Like I said, I'm OK with the pick. But that's a 1st. round pick that could have gone elsewhere.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can never have enough Safeties and CBs in this league. Flexibility is a good thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would not necessarily argue with that. But we've seen Hyde play NFL football and he belongs.

Like I said, I'm OK with the pick. But that's a 1st. round pick that could have gone elsewhere.

Hyde will get snaps in the dime package. It´s not a bad thing having Hyde as the #6 DB on the depth chart. IMO drafting Clinton-Dix was the obvious choice.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So because the entire Alabama defense didn't play well against Auburn, Dix isn't a good player?

I'd prefer to look at the player himself and more than one game to evaluate a player.

Carl... read this clowns comments on Ted. No need to even respond to him. A complete ted hating azzhat.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was at a bar for Day 1 (some of you may have heard of Stadium View) and my buddies and I were jumping up and down cheering this pick. Not only was it a great pick to fill a huge need, I felt we were running out of players to draft. Had Clinton-Dix gone off the board, I think the best thing we could have done would be shop the QB's or take a CB, strengthening one of our strongest positions. I wouldn't have had a problem taking one of the WR's, I guess, but that would've been a reach, too. My WR was Jordan Matthews.

Totally agree. The only guy on the board I think that might of been worthy of 21st pick other then Clinton-Dix was "jordan Matthews"

Staff online

Latest posts