Packers salary cap space?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to find this, and I've been wondering where we are at right now as far as cap room. Does anyone know? I thought we were actually in the top half of the league as far as available cap space.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the next season starts and offseason moves can be made there will be a new CBA and a salary cap thought right?

Not 100% guaranteed it comes back, but more than likely it will. The union doesn't want a salary cap, but the owners do, and honestly, it's what's made the nfl so great. It's what's allowed any team in the NFL to become competitive, rather than go the way of baseball where only a couple of teams are competitive and are almost a lock to make the playoffs every year.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
yeah the cap makes signing and getting players require skill rather than just throw money at them like the yankees do

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until we have an idea where the cap will be we dont know what to expect but the teams are operating as if it will continue to be what it was before.

The team that this is the hardest for is the colts since they need to resign peyton manning.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Until we have an idea where the cap will be we dont know what to expect but the teams are operating as if it will continue to be what it was before.

The team that this is the hardest for is the colts since they need to resign peyton manning.

if peyton manning cared about the team he would resign at a reasonable salary like tom brady does so the colts can aquire good players

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if peyton manning cared about the team he would resign at a reasonable salary like tom brady does so the colts can aquire good players

You should take as much money as you can, I would never trust a GM to wisely spend the money I didnt take. And if you say you will cut your salary but you want say in matters your pretty much another brett favre.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
You should take as much money as you can, I would never trust a GM to wisely spend the money I didnt take. And if you say you will cut your salary but you want say in matters your pretty much another brett favre.

if he really wanted another SB ring then he should ask for a good amount of money but not an amount that says im good and i know it and im just here for the cash

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
it seems to work for the redskins.... okay not so much
More often that not high profile players who get moved around, for money reasons, or other reasons, actually make a negative or no difference in the team.

For example:
Randy Moss (Raiders, Vikings, Titans)
TO (Eagles, Bills)
Brian Westbrook (49ers)
Jeremy Shockey (Saints)
Donovan McNabb (Redskins)

Exceptions:
LT (Jets)
Anquan Boldin (Ravens)
Randy Moss (makes both lists, for Pats)

Usually the players are high profile because they play well with the team that made them that way. Once they get traded, they oftentimes need an adjustment period, or they just never do.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
More often that not high profile players who get moved around, for money reasons, or other reasons, actually make a negative or no difference in the team.

For example:
Randy Moss (Raiders, Vikings, Titans)
TO (Eagles, Bills)
Brian Westbrook (49ers)
Jeremy Shockey (Saints)
Donovan McNabb (Redskins)

Exceptions:
LT (Jets)
Anquan Boldin (Ravens)
Randy Moss (makes both lists, for Pats)

Usually the players are high profile because they play well with the team that made them that way. Once they get traded, they oftentimes need an adjustment period, or they just never do.

move TO to the second list too. when he joined the Eagles their offense was explosive and made the super bowl

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we spent alot of money in upfront contracts this year. Im actually surprised more players werent paid upfront.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought I'd update this thread for 2012. I just read on a pay site (no link) that the 2012 salary cap is $120.6M - less than a $300K increase from last season. However, and this is a significant "however", teams are allowed to roll unused cap space from last season. When the CBA agreement was announced I don't remember seeing a lot of attention paid to the fact the cap was relatively low last season and basically flat this seaon. I view that as a win for the owners but it isn't going to last long as I believe a big increase is due for the 2013 season as well as the implimentation of the provision that teams have to spend at least 95% of the cap.

According to the site, without the amount rolled over amount from 2011, the Packers would be slightly over the cap. With the roll over amount the Packers' adjusted cap is about $126M. Right now they're about $5.3M under the cap. But they could free up about $10.6M more by just releasing Clifton and Driver, which would be a good idea IMO whether or not they want to keep either or both.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Ok...I'm readily admitting that I don't understand this... the new cap is $120 million per team and they can split it over 2 years as they see fit. So, let's say that the Redskins go 50/50 ... their cap number this year would be $102 million? Seems to me that they'd almost have to be over the cap already... how would they sign anyone?????

Figures it would be Snyder and Jones...two of the biggest twads in the league...

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok...I'm readily admitting that I don't understand this... the new cap is $120 million per team and they can split it over 2 years as they see fit. So, let's say that the Redskins go 50/50 ... their cap number this year would be $102 million? Seems to me that they'd almost have to be over the cap already... how would they sign anyone?????

Figures it would be Snyder and Jones...two of the biggest twads in the league...
Only we seem to have cap problems....maybe because we aren't cheating? ;)

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Skins were around 36 million under the cap before they got smacked, they'll sign who they want then apply their cap hit between this year and next

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Skins were around 36 million under the cap before they got smacked, they'll sign who they want then apply their cap hit between this year and next

Sheesh... they were UNDER the cap... duh... you know, I completely missed that. Thank you for not pointing at me and laughing. :)

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
League has ruled that $18 million has to be applied to this year. Still it doesn't seem to stop them with their signings today.

Latest posts