Packers Salary Cap Situation ?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I know coming into the off-season, the Packers were at about $118 million ($6 M under a $120M cap). Having cut Clifton, released Collins and I'm assuming a renegotiated contract for Driver...that clears about $13.5 M ish in cap space. I'm basing these numbers on a couple articles I've read, that could be outdated or possibly off on the numbers.

Having a hard time finding exact numbers on Finley's contract...but let's say it's $7 M/year for 2 years. Hargrove and Saturday I'm not counting as long term liabilities. So I'm thinking the Packers are approximately $13 M under the cap?

Anyone out there know more about the cap that can verify these numbers? I would think that if these numbers are right, being $13 M under the cap aint bad, and puts the Packers in a good position to sign guys like Jennings, CM3, Raji, AR etc...? Or are they going to need more? Just throwing this out there.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
So I know coming into the off-season, the Packers were at about $118 million ($6 M under a $120M cap). Having cut Clifton, released Collins and I'm assuming a renegotiated contract for Driver...that clears about $13.5 M ish in cap space. I'm basing these numbers on a couple articles I've read, that could be outdated or possibly off on the numbers.

Having a hard time finding exact numbers on Finley's contract...but let's say it's $7 M/year for 2 years. Hargrove and Saturday I'm not counting as long term liabilities. So I'm thinking the Packers are approximately $13 M under the cap?

Anyone out there know more about the cap that can verify these numbers? I would think that if these numbers are right, being $13 M under the cap aint bad, and puts the Packers in a good position to sign guys like Jennings, CM3, Raji, AR etc...? Or are they going to need more? Just throwing this out there.

OK, good post. This is what I got from Jason LaCanfora

Totals as of March 30.......... totals after the Jeff Saturday and Muir contract.

Green Bay Packers
Current contracts: 51
Previous year carryover: $5,283,109.00
Adjustments: $2,181,378.00
Adjusted cap: $128,064,487.00
Team cap: $124,638,504.00
Cap room: $3,425,983.00
Team cash: $110,888,415.18

This is what I could find on the rest.......

Total............3,425,983
Bush............1,333,333.....signed
Hargrove........540,000....all vet minimum contracts count only 540k per new CBA.
Walden...........540,000....signed vet min
Cliffton.........5,700,000......cut
Collins..........3,450,000......cut

Take away 5M to sign rookies and they have 5.1M

This is what I get, anybody have something to add ?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I believe Driver has said he would agree to accept less in salary so that would be additional savings and of course if he's waived (which I don't expect) that would be even more.

Does anyone know if teams can carryover cap savings again to next season?

A couple of years ago I remember reading that the Packers cash goal was to have enough in cash reserves to fund the team for a year. That's a lot of money but they don't have a rich owner's pockets to pick. The cap number for any year does not equal money spent on salaries so I wonder how the nearly $111M they have in cash compares to what they'll spend on player salaries this season.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe teams can apply a portion of next year's contracts for a player to the current year.
For example, if the Packers sign Greg Jennings to a new contract in October, part of the
contract can be applied to available cap space in 2012. I'm not sure what the cutoff is,
12/31/xx though.

If I'm incorrect on that point, someone please advise. A couple of years ago when we
signed Sitton to a new contract, I remember reading an article stating that a portion
of the signing bonus would be applied to the current year, even though his regular
salary kicked in the following year.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe teams can apply a portion of next year's contracts for a player to the current year.
For example, if the Packers sign Greg Jennings to a new contract in October, part of the
contract can be applied to available cap space in 2012. I'm not sure what the cutoff is,
12/31/xx though.

If I'm incorrect on that point, someone please advise. A couple of years ago when we
signed Sitton to a new contract, I remember reading an article stating that a portion
of the signing bonus would be applied to the current year, even though his regular
salary kicked in the following year.

I remember reading that as well. And you often hear of teams renegotiating back end loaded contracts to free up space right now for signing big Fa's or resigning a hold out player something along those lines.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Wouldn't half of Hargrove's vet min salary and 1/4 of Neal's salary be removed from the cap? Or does suspended pay still somehow count vs. the cap?

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Wouldn't half of Hargrove's vet min salary and 1/4 of Neal's salary be removed from the cap? Or does suspended pay still somehow count vs. the cap?

I think there will be a reduction. There's a Saints article out there somewhere that says they will be getting cap relief from Vilma.

Found it.......LINK

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

For arguments sake lets say all 3 have a gr8 year. I would expect Jennings to get about 21M for 3 yrs. Raji will get about the same & CM3 a little more. Jordy & Jennings are either 1 & 2 or 1a & 1b. Jordy has improved more than Jennings but Jennings was already a level higher than Jordy

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts