Packers Safety Search: Three names i'll throw out there

D

Deleted member 6794

Leonhard is slow, has had a very serious knee injury that nobody fully recovers from, and many don't make it back from.

Leonhard was bad against the run last season, but quite decent in pass coverage. He had three INTs last year (three more than the entire safeties on the Packers) while allowing a 59.3% completion rate to opposing QBs and a 81.1 passer rating.

Huff on the other side allowed four TD passes on nine targets with a 77.8% completion percentage and a 158.3 passer rating (that´s a perfect rating). He allowed three TD passes on five targets in the season opener in Denver after which he got benched for rookie Matt Elam and later released by the Ravens. He was released during the season by Baltimore and picked up by the Broncos, where he didn´t start a single game, being stuck behind Mike Adams (who was spectacular either) on the depth chart.

Huff might be bad. He has been.
But that still would have been our 2nd best safety last year.

Well, I´ve never played safety in my life, but it´s possible I would have been the second best safety on the Packers last season.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard is slow, has had a very serious knee injury that nobody fully recovers from, and many don't make it back from.

Huff might be bad. He has been.
But that still would have been our 2nd best safety last year.

Huff allowed 4 TDs in 170 snaps and didn't defend any passes. In what way would play like that have been any better than what Jennings put out there? The guy got obliterated pretty much every moment he was on the field last year.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huff allowed 4 TDs in 170 snaps and didn't defend any passes. In what way would play like that have been any better than what Jennings put out there? The guy got obliterated pretty much every moment he was on the field last year.
Well we just throw McMillian, and now Jennings, out to the curb.

Huff was similar, but he did get 2 great organizations, Baltimore with Ozzie Newsome, and then Denver, to sign him. He had or has skills.

Seems he just lacks it mentally/intensity wise.

Regardless, we need to draft a legit, pretty sure-fire good one early.

Dixon, Pryor, or Jimmie Ward.

There were some decent bargain FA this off-season that would have helped a lot, and I don't understand why we didn't bring one in.
Perhaps we really believe Richardson or Hyde will become a good safety back there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well we just throw McMillian, and now Jennings, out to the curb.

Huff was similar, but he did get 2 great organizations, Baltimore with Ozzie Newsome, and then Denver, to sign him. He had or has skills.

The Packers are a great organizaztion as well and they spent a fourth round draft pick on McMillian and signed the doctor, so just because a player gets signed by a good team doesn´t mean he´s got talent.

Regardless, we need to draft a legit, pretty sure-fire good one early.

Dixon, Pryor, or Jimmie Ward.

There were some decent bargain FA this off-season that would have helped a lot, and I don't understand why we didn't bring one in.
Perhaps we really believe Richardson or Hyde will become a good safety back there.

I agree with you that we have to draft a safety pretty early, would prefer to get Clinton-Dix in the first round. I don´t understand why they didn´t bring in a veteran safety either.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe this is just hopeful thinking, but I just have a feeling that our starting safety is already on this team.

Hopeful thinking??? I´m actually scared that our starting free safety for 2014 is already on the roster.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopeful thinking??? I´m actually scared that our starting free safety for 2014 is already on the roster.
You are not giving Hyde enough credit. I know you think it is risky, but there is risk in every possible solution. Hyde is a playmaker with great attitude and heart who proved the game isn't too big for him. He will do just fine.

D

Deleted member 6794

You are not giving Hyde enough credit. I know you think it is risky, but there is risk in every possible solution. Hyde is a playmaker with great attitude and heart who proved the game isn't too big for him. He will do just fine.

After not getting an impact veteran in free agency I would be fine with Hyde competing for the starting job with a draftee. But I don´t want the Packers to hand it to him because he had a nice rookie season playing slot corner. There are no guarantees he will work out at FS, and if he doesn´t I sure hope the Packers have a backup plan in place.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our starting free safety is already on the roster, Morgan Burnett. Hyde will likely be the starting SS unless he is beat out for the job by a draft pick or undrafted player which is unlikely. I don't think TT will spend a first round pick on a safety though he might trade back to the early second or trade up to the early/mid second and select one. Say if Calvin Pryor, Jimmie Ward, or Kyle Fuller drops out of the first. Other candidates could be Tre Boston, Terrence Brooks, and or Antone Exum, Dontae Johnson in the late rounds.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packersinsider.com/?p=6313

Learn more about the Packers next safety. WHO will it be though?

IDEAL #1-
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

IDEAL #2-

IDEAL #3-

D

Deleted member 6794

Our starting free safety is already on the roster, Morgan Burnett. Hyde will likely be the starting SS unless he is beat out for the job by a draft pick or undrafted player which is unlikely. I don't think TT will spend a first round pick on a safety though he might trade back to the early second or trade up to the early/mid second and select one. Say if Calvin Pryor, Jimmie Ward, or Kyle Fuller drops out of the first. Other candidates could be Tre Boston, Terrence Brooks, and or Antone Exum, Dontae Johnson in the late rounds.

I don´t get it why you think Burnett would be a good fit at FS. I´m quite sure that if that would be the case the Packers would have played him there last year when the doctor started every single game at FS. Burnett should stay at SS with the Packers have to find someone capable of playing a single high FS at least from time to time.

Kyle Fuller is best suited to play slot CB, Jimmie Ward is for sure not a first-round talent and I don´t want the Packers to draft him no matter which round. The only guy you mentioned I would be interested in is Terrence Brooks.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Who was right and who was wrong ? Well it's still just opinion .

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts